Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We haven’t played the Devils.

We played the Canes once and lost to them in OT.

It’d be nice to add a play driving winger, but there will likely be one or two of those available and their costs will be astronomical. I’d sell the farm for Meier, but I think our GM is going to pull another small move like he has the past two seasons.

And tbh. Look at Rakell and Carter’s impacts way better than any home run UFA deal we’ve done at previous deadlines.
Ok…plug in Sabres for Devils lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think if we bring in JVR it’s as a 3rd line player and further depth if Jake or Zucker go down.

Yeah I kinda realized that I misread the intention of this trade after I made my post.

In that context I don't hate it. Contract up at the end of the year so... *shrug*

But I also don't want them to pay hardly anything, either. But knowing Hex that shouldn't be a worry. Stingy bastard lol

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I kinda realized that I misread the intention of this trade after I made my post.

In that context I don't hate it. Contract up at the end of the year so... *shrug*

But I also don't want them to pay hardly anything, either. But knowing Hex that shouldn't be a worry. Stingy bastard lol
If you’re getting his $7M salary at half off, you’ll be paying more than you think…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ok…plug in Sabres for Devils lol

The team who we shut down and beat twice on a b2b?

Probably a 3rd and a 4th again.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If you’re getting his $7M salary at half off, you’ll be paying more than you think…

I dunno. I think Philly is fine collecting assets for an expiring contract. The retention isn't going to hurt them, after all. My question is how would the space work even at 50% -- do we really think Hextall is gonna be eager to move a roster player to Philly? Another team in the mix perhaps?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dunno. I think Philly is fine collecting assets for an expiring contract. The retention isn't going to hurt them, after all. My question is how would the space work even at 50% -- do we really think Hextall is gonna be eager to move a roster player to Philly? Another team in the mix perhaps?

Probably have someone on LITR and figure it out from there tbh.

Or Heinen or Kapanen out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Probably have someone on LITR and figure it out from there tbh.

Or Heinen or Kapanen out.

Yeah I was thinking Heinen along with LTIR space. The real prize for Philly being the 2nd or 3rd rounder like you said.

I think Hex would be reluctant to trade Kap to Philly. But I dunno. Depends on what Sullivan has to say at that point, I wager.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

As I stated earlier, JVR @ 50% for Kapanen. Add a 2nd for thier troubles.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I was thinking Heinen along with LTIR space. The real prize for Philly being the 2nd or 3rd rounder like you said.

I think Hex would be reluctant to trade Kap to Philly. But I dunno. Depends on what Sullivan has to say at that point, I wager.
As bad as Kap can be, Kap to Philly for a rental is bad asset management….better to just trade Kap for a draft pick to afford the same for a TDL player…

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Your point isn't applicable, this isn't a static play where paint is going to tell the story in a photo.

Forsling would have met up with the puck if not for Rust. It is not like Rust had a semi breakaway here, he caused the contact, and Forsling was going where the puck was going to be. It's clear as day Rust cut into Forsling.
Clear as day to you, maybe. Not to 2 others who shared my view.

We agree that Rust has him inevitably beat with speed if there's no contact, right? I don't think that's within debate at least, unless we're taking crazy pills.
Rust has every right to take a direct path to the puck without being impeded by a slower skating player.
He does just that. It happens to be a fairly big diagonal at the speed he's going and his starting position. Forsling is in the way of this path.
Naturally, contact occurs.

Why would Rust purposefully slow himself down by taking contact when he has the player beat? That makes no sense. That only lowers his chances of reaching the puck first.
The problem is he can't beat Forsling out wide and get to the puck first, in his (correct) estimation. He takes a direct line, which he's allowed to do.

The contact is on Forsling for being too slow and skating in a line that blocks Rust. If Rust never touched him and he continued in that exact line at that speed, he would have skated past the puck in the middle of the ice. But no, he is prioritizing dealing with Rust, evidenced by him turning his head to the right towards him. He knows he can't keep up.

And when Rust later gets body positioning because of his speed, Forsling grabbed him with both hands (I SS'd this). That's a penalty, even if the original interference wasn't called.

We don't have to agree. It's fine. I just wanted to fully explain my view.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Dunno, Russo said mid to late pick on the Athletic trade board, and I dunno whether that was with retention figured in but that's generally only another mid to late pick if it's an add on.

You've touched on my main skepticism about this, but backwards. I don't think the Flyers front office want to risk making us successful. I don't think they want that at the best of times, and these are the worst of times for them and they like to sometimes use our GM as a boogeyman for excusing that. Hextall getting a deep run as Pens GM thanks to a cheap add from the Flyers is reason enough for them to take anyone else's equivalent offer. And you gotta think there'll be a few offers for JVR.

If they could get a decent draft pick for him they would have traded him last offseason.

I don't think the contract they gave him adds up to that sort of internal valuation on him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You've touched on my main skepticism about this, but backwards. I don't think the Flyers front office want to risk making us successful. I don't think they want that at the best of times, and these are the worst of times for them and they like to sometimes use our GM as a boogeyman for excusing that. Hextall getting a deep run as Pens GM thanks to a cheap add from the Flyers is reason enough for them to take anyone else's equivalent offer. And you gotta think there'll be a few offers for JVR.

Yeah very true.

Business is rare between these two teams for a reason, dig?

Reactions: Peat

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I know Kap is SUPER frustrating but I agree with Andy (and likely Hextall) -- seems risky to move him to Philly.

I’d rather have JVR in playoffs and then the cap space for the off-season.

I don’t see any risk in that. I know I would rather have a chance at signing a great winger for Malkin or making a trade for a strong LD or both with the money Kap makes.

Reactions: Gurglesons

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’d rather have JVR in playoffs and then the cap space for the off-season.

I don’t see any risk in that. I know I would rather have a chance at signing a great winger for Malkin or making a trade for a strong LD or both with the money Kap makes.

I don't think you're WRONG really... I just think it's unlikely. Whether or not Pens fans like it Hextall and the team (I mean besides Sullivan) values the guy. And it's Philly. Both teams will be reluctant to make a move that might make either look even a little foolish.

And please don't take this wrong but big lol to "signing a great winger for Malkin." Don't hold your breath even if they have the cap space. I think @AuroraBorealis is closer to correct. They'll blow their wad on defense, depth lines and goaltending and plug a third liner for like 4M in that slot. Or just get real dumb and sign Zucker to an extension for like 4.5 for six years and call it a killer bargain.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
JVR @ 50% for Kapanen
Would be about even in Cap hit and would open up additional cap space next season. Could work well as a net front presence for PP.

Guentzel Crosby Rakell
Van Riemsdyk Malkin Rust
Zucker Carter McGinn
Poehling Blueger Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad