Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They're done rebuilding, I thought. Not gonna be dealing for more picks. If anything they'll be giving them away.
Now it's just about consistent playoff entry and annual improvement.

I don't know enough about those 6 impending RFA's to comment.
The Doughty contract really hurts them. If he makes what he should then Moore fits in easily there.
At least they'll get some savings on Quick.

They have now locked in Moore, Iafallo, Kempe, Fiala and Danault all for at least the next two years.

Not sure the Doughty contract is even that big of an issue for them tbh.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Push Carter to RW, elevate Blueger. Trade Kapanen. I think McGinn - Blueger - Carter would be a stronger defensive line that can still score, and features two natural centermen, one lefty and one righty, to help on d zone faceoffs. Even better if we can score a McGinn+ at the LW and bump him down to 4th line. That will take some pressure of Carter and allow him to keep a little more in the tank for the duration of the season. The money saved from letting Zucker walk and trading Kappy can be deployed for a Kessel level difference maker.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Stud LW - Malkin - Rust
McGinn - Blueger - Carter
DOC - Poehling - Archibald
Hallander Puustinen
It always made the most sense to move Carter to RW, and you still have him as your injury fill-in for Sid or Geno at center that won't waste O-zone faceoffs.

But you can't argue with the results at center this year or last for Carter, and almost as importantly, he's willing to do that job and not be a public complainer like Brassard. The 3C job in Pittsburgh sucks. If you find someone who can do it reasonably well and will do it, you call that a win.

edit, and besides, he trips people and slashes the backs of legs and never gets called for it. You need some of that especially in the post season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From DK’s Friday Insider, as reported by another poster elsewhere lol….

“9. It can’t be understated what a massive blow Zucker’s injury is to this team. Although his production tailed off a bit before the injury, he was continuing to make his presence felt with his tenacity and physicality all over the ice. With Zucker on the ice at 5-on-5 this season, the Penguins have controlled a whopping 63.2% of the expected goals, per Evolving-Hockey. Not only is that the highest mark on the team, but it’s the seventh-highest mark of every skater in the NHL to play at least 250 minutes at 5-on-5 this season. It gets better. Offensively, the Penguins are generating 3.88 expected goals for per hour with Zucker out there at 5-on-5. Once again, that’s tops on the Penguins. It’s the third-best mark of all league forwards. -- Danny Shirey in Sunrise, Fla.

Zucker's obviously had a tough time staying healthy in his time as a Penguin, but this doesn't seem like the type of injury that should be lumped in with the others. Last season Zucker's issue was a recurring core muscle injury that kept flaring up or was re-aggravated. Taking a hard one-timer off the foot isn't a matter of being "injury-prone," but just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. --Taylor Haase in Cranberry, Pa.”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Any news about Geno?

indianajones-ageing.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Gold Diamond

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
HFCoyotes seems to think that one of the below (depends on the poster) is fair for Chychrun:

2023 1st, Pickering, and 2025 1st
2023 and 2024 1st and 2023 2nd/Pickering
2023 1st & 2nd and Pickering
2023 and 2025 1st and 2023 2nd/Pickering

I think I like the bold/italic/underline the best.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah, not to pile on, but I don't get the logic either.
Well it was in the context of playing as a regular here next year (and playing well), if/when Dumo leaves.

Right now there isn't valid reason to expect him to be our best option on LD3 next year.

Smith is 22 and Friedman is 26. Smith still has a lot of development as a player to do.
Same response

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
HFCoyotes seems to think that one of the below (depends on the poster) is fair for Chychrun:

Not dealing a 2025 1st for him. Not dealing 2 1sts for him tbh.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well it was in the context of playing as a regular here next year (and playing well), if/when Dumo leaves.

Right now there isn't valid reason to expect him to be our best option on LD3 next year.

But he can be good enough to claim a jersey and see how much he grows when exposed to gameplay. That's exactly what's happened with POJ and so far that looks like it's working out well.

I'd like him to be significantly outplaying Friedman, but there's not a lot of shame in tying a guy who has looked like he belongs in the NHL every chance we give him. Friedman not being in the NHL is a numbers and contract thing more than a reflection on his own performance. If Smith can equal Friedman's all round play, he can stick in the NHL. Given the hope he can be a major PP contributor, he will probably get that chance ahead of Friedman.

And from there it's up to him.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

What in the actual f***? He wont be returning a couple firsts and a top prospects LMAO!!!! WHAT????

That 1st one is hilarious "Give us your 1st, top prospect and lottery pick and he's yours".

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

That’s pretty terrible. Pickering has been solid. His value did not drop.

That’s the price you pay if you are offloading a trash contract too. Who are we sending? I think you can move dumo for a late pick

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith is a nice fit with Rutta. He was good in camp and a couple pre-season games. His offensive play is far superior to Friedman as to potential PP. Pens are set for the next 3 years here with what they have now. But would I like a physical tough LD of course. I really don't want to pay up for a LD that is not on the ice enough and has Matheson caliber D as to being able to body up forwards. Pens have enough skill in Letang, Petry and Smith so adding a hard a** LD is what makes sense to me.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
But he can be good enough to claim a jersey and see how much he grows when exposed to gameplay. That's exactly what's happened with POJ and so far that looks like it's working out well.

I'd like him to be significantly outplaying Friedman, but there's not a lot of shame in tying a guy who has looked like he belongs in the NHL every chance we give him. Friedman not being in the NHL is a numbers and contract thing more than a reflection on his own performance. If Smith can equal Friedman's all round play, he can stick in the NHL. Given the hope he can be a major PP contributor, he will probably get that chance ahead of Friedman.

And from there it's up to him.
He may cut it, but my question is if rolling the dice on him is the best move. That could very well be a decision management needs to make during free agency already, before his NHL sample size grows and there's more evidence to go off of.
We'll have enough cap space bring in someone pretty strong to replace Dumo.

I'm a little concerned with Smith's fit here. PP1 would obviously be ideal, but will Reirden+Sully really hand over the reigns to a kid in his first year with the big club? They're gonna strip the job from veterans like Letang and Petry? Maybe, but I'm not optimistic on that front. Reirden is pretty close with Letang. It would take a lot for him to lose the spot, as we saw this year.
I don't expect the 2D approach either if we're healthy. That would involve demoting a Forward, and who would that be?

POJ had at least a history of playing fairly acceptable defense at this level. Smith has a different skillset. He can't be used on the PK either.
How much offense could he realistically provide with 3rd pairing + PP2 minutes, and would that be the best thing for the team?
Going with that LD layout also banks on POJ keeping this up, and doing well in a 2nd pairing role. We've seen D fall off cliffs from one year to the next here many times before. I don't think we should rely on Petts being this good again either.

It's fairly likely that we'll end up needing a top 4 level LD, or at least a 2nd/3rd pair tweener like Rutta. We won't be in a cap situation where we're forced to gamble on youth.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He may cut it, but my question is if rolling the dice on him is the best move. That could very well be a decision management needs to make during free agency already, before his NHL sample size grows and there's more evidence to go off of.
We'll have enough cap space bring in someone pretty strong to replace Dumo.

I'm a little concerned with Smith's fit here. PP1 would obviously be ideal, but will Reirden+Sully really hand over the reigns to a kid in his first year with the big club? They're gonna strip the job from veterans like Letang and Petry? Maybe, but I'm not optimistic on that front. Reirden is pretty close with Letang. It would take a lot for him to lose the spot, as we saw this year.
I don't expect the 2D approach either if we're healthy. That would involve demoting a Forward, and who would that be?

POJ had at least a history of playing fairly acceptable defense at this level. Smith has a different skillset. He can't be used on the PK either.
How much offense could he realistically provide with 3rd pairing + PP2 minutes, and would that be the best thing for the team?
Going with that LD layout also banks on POJ keeping this up, and doing well in a 2nd pairing role. We've seen D fall off cliffs from one year to the next here many times before. I don't think we should rely on Petts being this good again either.

It's fairly likely that we'll end up needing a top 4 level LD, or at least a 2nd/3rd pair tweener like Rutta. We won't be in a cap situation where we're forced to gamble on youth.

He was in that role the majority of the year last year for the Devils and he put up 20 points in 65 games.

I don't think having Pettersson, POJ and Smith as our LDs makes sense either, but I'm not sure who I'd want to move out because we desperately need goals from someone that isn't Letang or Petry and Smith has shown he is capable of doing that in the NHL.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What in the actual f***? He wont be returning a couple firsts and a top prospects LMAO!!!! WHAT????

That 1st one is hilarious "Give us your 1st, top prospect and lottery pick and he's yours".

That’s pretty terrible. Pickering has been solid. His value did not drop.

That’s the price you pay if you are offloading a trash contract too. Who are we sending? I think you can move dumo for a late pick

Allegedly the Arizona GM has set the price of 2 1sts and a 2nd/good prospect. He doesn't appear to be budging but that's not how this league works. I'm sure it'll end up being something more along the lines of what pixies is mostly-fine with (1st, 2nd, prospect).

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Allegedly the Arizona GM has set the price of 2 1sts and a 2nd/good prospect. He doesn't appear to be budging but that's not how this league works. I'm sure it'll end up being something more along the lines of what pixies is mostly-fine with (1st, 2nd, prospect).

He probably could’ve got that a year ago. But if Chychrun is moved this season he only has 2 years after this left on his deal.

He also gets grade protection this off-season. Feels like an overreach. Marek and Friedman have reported they don’t think a lot of teams will move 2023 1sts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad