Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel like from now until JR retires, every single Vancouver player will be linked to the Penguins. Whether it makes sense or not.
Also, does Horvat play wing? He wouldnt be a center here, so he most likely wouldnt re-sign.
Yep, so much linking and one year later no trades with them.
Most skilled centers can play well at wing, so I'm sure he could. But I mean, how would it work? Zucker to L3, getting 70% D-zone starts, when he returns in a month?
He'd probably end up doing next to nothing over there. Besides, his 5v5 production has been at a level I'd hope for from Horvat.

I would use Horvat as 3C and adjust offensive/defensive zone starts for the top 3 lines based on which line has traction on a particular night.

Without knowing our injury situation for the rest of the year, it's impossible to say how he'd fit in and how clutch he could end up being. What if Geno or Sid go down? There could be long injuries to Jake, Rust, Rakell...

And yeah there's no way he'd re-sign. Probably no PP1 spot for him here. 12 of his 30 points are PPP's atm.
It would be for a rental most likely in a miscast role under Sullivan.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Yep, so much linking and one year later no trades with them.
Most skilled centers can play well at wing, so I'm sure he could. But I mean, how would it work? Zucker to L3, getting 70% D-zone starts, when he returns in a month?
He'd probably end up doing next to nothing over there. Besides, his 5v5 production has been at a level I'd hope for from Horvat.

I would use Horvat as 3C and adjust offensive/defensive zone starts for the top 3 lines based on which line has traction on a particular night.

Without knowing our injury situation for the rest of the year, it's impossible to say how he'd fit in and how clutch he could end up being. What if Geno or Sid go down? There could be long injuries to Jake, Rust, Rakell...

And yeah there's no way he'd re-sign. Probably no PP1 spot for him here. 12 of his 30 points are PPP's atm.
It would be for a rental most likely in a miscast role under Sullivan.
I'm in no way advocating for Horvat. I was just curious if he played wing at all for the Canucks. I never watch them.

But yea, totally agree, it would be a complete waste for a rental. I also love the idea of getting rid of POJ once he starts having value and hoping Vancouver takes Kapanen because he's entering his "prime". The article was pretty laughable. I'm curious what other real targets will be out there come trade deadline.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens only real issue is LD if healthy. Dumo even at 3rd pairing Pens need to add a quality LD. But the assets required and fit is not something I do for the Zona D man. Just injuries and concern he just can't stay on the ice is what I have zero interest in. Secondly, getting a physical LD works this year and Smith is to good and young to not be here next year. As I said the two issues that I think have to be resolved is 3rd center and is Kap able to be that quality RW. Would i like Horvat but I think if he is a FA this off season. the cost will be to much for teams who have cap concerns as to future expenditures. also Zucker is one of those players that Pens can do better on L2 this off season. Good guy but his offense is just not there as a 30 goal player anymore. Hextall scares me with some of his signings and Dumo has to go and Zucker is easily replaceable.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I'm in no way advocating for Horvat. I was just curious if he played wing at all for the Canucks. I never watch them.

But yea, totally agree, it would be a complete waste for a rental. I also love the idea of getting rid of POJ once he starts having value and hoping Vancouver takes Kapanen because he's entering his "prime". The article was pretty laughable. I'm curious what other real targets will be out there come trade deadline.
I think he has played wing, but I'm too uninterested in this fairytale idea to check.

It's a Cup or bust move. Only way it pays off. Pretty low percentage :laugh:

We've got a very low percentage chance to win as things stand, so I'd at least enjoy the chaos of it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think he has played wing, but I'm too uninterested in this fairytale idea to check.

It's a Cup or bust move. Only way it pays off. Pretty low percentage :laugh:

We've got a very low percentage chance to win as things stand, so I'd at least enjoy the chaos of it.
Horvat is going to cost a first, even if he just goes as a rental, so we won’t be in on the move, no matter how much we’d like to…but we absolutely should check out signing him in the off-season and getting Carter to acknowledge he’s allergic to PPG Arena and retire or get traded elsewhere lol

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Horvat is going to cost a first, even if he just goes as a rental, so we won’t be in on the move, no matter how much we’d like to…but we absolutely should check out signing him in the off-season and getting Carter to acknowledge he’s allergic to PPG Arena and retire or get traded elsewhere lol
Isn't he gonna want like 7+ mil AAV? That's a lot for a 3C, PP2 role guy. I really don't think he's gonna sign up for that kinda role anyway.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What's going on w/ our 3c next year? Carter is signed

Yeah I mean I definitely don't see this team changing gears now re: Carter. Unless he suddenly comes down with some Hossa-itis the team will give him every opportunity in the same exact role next year. It would take some truly insane like 20 game futility streak of no points and constant line-caving for Sullivan to do anything IMO.

The real play here is to get a top tier C/W to play on L2 so we can maybe finally move on from theoretical goals on that line to real goals.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
What's going on w/ our 3c next year? Carter is signed
Nothing. Just saying that's a position that can be improved on significantly by moving him to the wing and bringing in someone younger and better.
I think Carter's treaded water this year in a difficult role, but I'm still pretty weary for that line in the playoffs if we make it. They got nuked vs New York.
Domingue was the #1 reason we lost, but I'd say L3 was a close 2nd. They scored 4 goals mind you, but that got totally negated by giving up far more the other way.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Nothing. Just saying that's a position that can be improved on significantly by moving him to the wing and bringing in someone younger and better.
I think Carter's treaded water this year in a difficult role, but I'm still pretty weary for that line in the playoffs if we make it. They got nuked vs New York.
Domingue was the #1 reason we lost, but I'd say L3 was a close 2nd. They scored 4 goals mind you, but that got totally negated by giving up far more the other way.

While I agree with your thesis that Carter should be moved to wing, Sully doesn't. So I don't even expend any energy thinking about a different configuration bc it'll always be Sid/Geno/Carter

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I hate the over 35 contracts as they have zero buyout and are charged against the cap whether he is here or not. Have to live with that bad signing. One year maybe but 2? really what options did Carter have?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hate the over 35 contracts as they have zero buyout and are charged against the cap whether he is here or not. Have to live with that bad signing. One year maybe but 2? really what options did Carter have?

Evidently he definitely had other offers and a super lucrative deal in Europe on the table! So the real question is what choice did the PENGUINS have if they wanted to lock down superstar, the-real-2C Big Jeff Carter?

EDIT: cue the "Y r wE bItChInG aBoUt JeFf He'S aCtUaLlY sUpEr gOoD!" people

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Carter IS important, because after nearly two decades in the league, our veteran core still can't step up and be veterans on the damn team

How do you mean? What does Carter provide there? I'm not being an ass I'm legitimately curious.

I don't see any issues with how the core handles it's responsibilities as team leaders.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
How do you mean? What does Carter provide there? I'm not being an ass I'm legitimately curious.

I don't see any issues with how the core handles it's responsibilities as team leaders.
Just snark. Mainly.

But.

Guerin.

Cullen.

And Stanley Cups.

Coincidence?

There's always been unsubstantiated claims that a veteran presence was needed on the team. 2009...sure maybe. But today? There shouldn't be a need to get an old guy for that.

I mean, they didn't REALLY re-sign him for his play... Right? I mean, unless GMRH just really needed to get him a kickback.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad