Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Possibly, but Heinen will have to bring last year's form for that to happen.
I am more optimistic about McGinn on Geno's wing. He's been engaged all year.

I'm iffy on whether or not it would work but I'd be very curious to see what McGinn could do on L2, as well. He's been playing really good hockey after a rough start so if nothing else it would be nice to see as a way of rewarding his play and seeing what he does with the opportunity.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
thats a first for me. it was always the first guy in the zone was f1. not one player pick to be f1. to me that would limit to the success of that system. by slowing down the play waiting for that player to attack. it would also change the style of play in the other zones. imo
Zucker also commented recently that he was F1

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I feel like we are still really overblowing Zucker's impact. I'd prefer to have him on L2, but I think any of Poehling, DOC, Heinen or McGinn can fit in there and we will still get some production from L2.
This board has never overblown anything

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Zucker's out and the lineup has to be adjusted? Sully's solution will be to re-unite Rust with Crosby and Guentzel because reasons.

And yes I have PTSD over this issue because I don't trust Sullivan not to make that move at some point.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This board has never overblown anything

And just what exactly is THAT supposed to mean, huh?!? Oh like we overblow things? Maybe YOU are the one who overblows! Did you ever think of that, overblower? I bet you illegally stream the games and don't support the jersey but the name on it, too.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Possibly, but Heinen will have to bring last year's form for that to happen.
I am more optimistic about McGinn on Geno's wing. He's been engaged all year.
Heinen's form is this. He's not what anyone wishes he will be for a few hot streaks last year that give a lot here a skewed idea of what type of player he is. He's streaky, he's not physical enough and his defensive play isn't as consistent as anyone wants to admit. He's a 3rd line forward when he's on his game, when he's not he's a press box player. There's a reason he's on his 3rd team and will be moving on to his 4th.

I'd rather see others get a shot instead. I would have rather seen O'Connor, Hallander, and Poulin given his minutes on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Oh yeah? Well I hate this team so bad that I illegally stream the games but don't even watch them.

But I do let my cat watch them. He's a Big Jeff Carter fan.

Cats aren't very good at grasping the sport I've found.
Oh yeah? I hate this team so much I only watch the X-Generation era games and then look at stats and pretend to comment on players with zero context to their actual play on the ice.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh yeah? I hate this team so much I only watch the X-Generation era games and then look at stats and pretend to comment on players with zero context to their actual play on the ice.

Wait is there somewhere I can still watch those games?!?

I miss Tomas Surovy. AKA Original Puustinen, if you prefer.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's a terrible comparison and for that reason alone, you will never find my source and I will get to watch the legend that is Milan Kraft and his storied wrist shot, all by myself.

Awwww... I don't think it's THAT bad! They'll probably have a similar impact.

I often wonder how Kraft would have done on a not-utter-shit Penguins team. Or how Straka's back would have done had Milan not dropped a weight machine on it.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Awwww... I don't think it's THAT bad! They'll probably have a similar impact.

I often wonder how Kraft would have done on a not-utter-shit Penguins team. Or how Straka's back would have done had Milan not dropped a weight machine on it.
My mind always wanders to Zigmund Palffy for the what if's...

What happens if Palffy was healthy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My mind always wanders to Zigmund Palffy for the what if's...

What happens if Palffy was healthy.

He was pretty dominant at times with Sid. And looked like he was starting to really click right before the whole injury/retirement thing. Palffy at the time was one of my favorite non-Penguins in the league. So I was pretty stoked followed by pretty devastated.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
We probably don’t draft Staal.
It would be a fun alternative timeline to think about. I think at the time, the Penguins scouted Jordan Staal as a Winger, he was I think Malkin's winger for most of that rookie season where he scored 29 until he moved to C the following year. Maybe they take Captain Ignore Abuse with loads of Intangibles instead.

Edit: I mean the team would be better than it placed, so that pick would probably be lower as well so likely not even Toews. Anywhere from the 15-30 pick range and when you look back at who went in that range, woof. But imagine if the Penguins selected Giroux at 22nd lol. Or better yet, Trevor Lewis or Patrik Berglund if they were looking for a C in that range, haha damn.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Awww... lil Crosby.

It would be a fun alternative timeline to think about. I think at the time, the Penguins scouted Jordan Staal as a Winger, he was I think Malkin's winger for most of that rookie season where he scored 29 until he moved to C the following year. Maybe they take Captain Ignore Abuse with loads of Intangibles instead.

Staal had the best goal scoring season of his career on Malkin's LW. You are correct. So naturally the team tried to move Malkin to HIS wing.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but Sid, Geno, Letang, Gonchar and a healthy and clicking Palffy would have likely won a Cup without Staal. But who is to say. He played his role well, here and you don't hem and haw too much over the hardest trophy to attain in sports.

Wonder how our old boy is doing these days?

...oh. I see.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Awww... lil Crosby.

Staal had the best goal scoring season of his career on Malkin's LW. You are correct. So naturally the team tried to move Malkin to HIS wing.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but Sid, Geno, Letang, Gonchar and a healthy and clicking Palffy would have likely won a Cup without Staal. But who is to say. He played his role well, here and you don't hem and haw too much over the hardest trophy to attain in sports.

...oh. I see.

I don't believe this. Staal was a big part of those back to back runs in a way that Palffy simply wouldn't be.

It's easy to ignore Staal because he didn't really do much for the first three series, but when we finally met a team that could shut down both Sid and Malkin ("shut down") the 3rd line won us the series.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't believe this. Staal was a big part of those back to back runs in a way that Palffy simply wouldn't be.

I'm admittedly not a big Staal fan and found the way Pens fans fawned over the guy for years to be a little over the top. Plus I don't like how people get it twisted that the big bad mean ol' Penguins didn't try to seriously re-sign him and he had to move on... baloney. Just for full disclosure. But he did his job well here and was a horse. He was great just to throw at the other team to slow them down to a crawl and frustrate the shit out of them. So it's not like I don't give him his due. But there are lots of ways to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm admittedly not a big Staal fan and found the way Pens fans fawned over the guy for years to be a little over the top. Plus I don't like how people get it twisted that the big bad Penguins didn't try to seriously re-sign him and he had to move on... baloney. Just for full disclosure. But he did his job well here and was a horse. He was great just to throw at the other team to slow them down to a crawl and frustrate the shit out of them. So it's not like I don't give him his due. But there are lots of ways to win.

Palffy and Gaborik are two of my favorite players ever. I just don’t think Palffy changes much for that team even if he stays here.

The Penguins did what the Lightning recently did after 08. They brought in tough nosed players like Kunitz, Fedotenko, Guerin and Cooke to win a cup.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Palffy and Gaborik are two of my favorite players ever. I just don’t think Palffy changes much for that team even if he stays here.

The Penguins did what the Lightning recently did after 08. They brought in tough nosed players like Kunitz, Fedotenko, Guerin and Cooke to win a cup.

I think that was certainly a factor, no doubt. But to me 09 was about Malkin/Crosby going full HAM with everything else a somewhat distant second, third, fourth etc.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Awww... lil Crosby.

...oh. I see.

I think the biggest things that helped the Penguins win their cup was the adds they brought in after Palffy left, which were character players that started to help the Penguins carve out an identity with their skill players and the coaching change from Therrien to Bylsma at that moment in time. Who knows what would have happened with the coaching situation as well. Edzo was fired 31 games in or whatever it was, then Therrien takes over and things start to go up, 2008 playoffs happen and that loss happens and Therrien is fired the following season for Bylsma who was the right change at that time before he became the blue print for Mike Sullivan style.

I still remember reading about how Staal used to be in tears because of Therrien and was super pumped to have Bylsma at the time.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

It's easy to ignore Staal because he didn't really do much for the first three series, but when we finally met a team that could shut down both Sid and Malkin ("shut down") the 3rd line won us the series.

Staal moving to C, learning to be a strong 2-way player and then building some incredible chemistry with the likes of Ruutu and then Cooke and Kennedy was huge. Staal, we all thought after the 29 goals, was going to be our big power forward winger, then they moved him to C the following year and I think a lot of us were kind of bummed as it was going to be a solid top 6 with Staal there, but later on Staal was never someone you could move back to Wing (it was tried with Geno, never looked as good). But Staal at C on the Penguins behind 2 legends is what allowed him to also put up solid numbers seeing less of the defensive assignments Sid & Geno saw, instead he was the defensive assignment for the Penguins with 2 solid wingers that could cycle and grind.

But to me, the biggest mistake was all on Staal to want to leave thinking he was bigger than a 3C role behind the likes of Sid & Geno, or whatever family excuse he had that to me, felt like a load of bs.

In 4 of the 6 seasons he was with the Penguins, he was a 20+ goal scorer, a solid cog on a perennial playoff team. Then he goes to Carolina and the last 11 seasons he musters one 20 goal season and in the 10 seasons before this, made the playoffs 4yrs out of the 10. It always bothered me because Ryan Malone mentioned how he made a mistake leaving and then you see Jordan Staal wanting to leave and he'll never admit it, but it was a huge mistake on his part.

Also f*** Brandon Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad