Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't really think that it is in the cards, but cannot help wonder about Chychrun.

For me, unless there was a home run upgrade in goal (and Jarry is playing as one of the better goalies in the league now, with all the usual caveats about his playoff nous), I think the biggest boost to our competitiveness would still come from a D-upgrade. You can say that we are vulnerable to a top6 injury, and that is true, but it is also hard and expensive to upgrade there, and there'd quickly be diminishing returns as we have no PP places to offer for forwards, and

Dumo is a big part of the PK, of course, but he has also been really dodgy in many games, and I really don't think he is someone we should re-sign.

So, if you can get someone for the top 4 who helps a lot ES and can bring some speed and offensive punch instead, who has a pretty sweet contract at 4.6 for the next two seasons after this.... to fully match our window, how far would you go? Some contender is going to this season, I'm sure. Not least with Chychrun having looked so good since returning from injury. 9 points in 11 and +5 on a pretty terrible Yotes team.

So, Dumo would have to go and at 4.1 if this was a deadline deal it would be OK cap-wise. Dumo is someone Arizona can easily flip for at least a 2nd with his pedigree. Then add Ty Smith, who would not have much of a purpose for us in any near future if we grabbed Chychrun, but should be a long term replacement for a rebuilding Yotes team. Then add our 1st rounder. Then add one of the young forwards from WBS. Say Poulin. That's basically three recent 1st round pick assets who can all play in the NHL now, plus a 2nd. Or Kappy could be involved if they fancied.

Would you, would we, would they? One imagines they'd like a more elite piece back, but they'll just have to draft one themselves. We don't have any young such to give.
Just because Smith and Poulin were drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean they are still viewed as 1st round assets. They'd rather have 1st round picks than either of those guys, especially Poulin.

I also don't think teams take on a guy with the intent to flip them very often. I'm sure there's examples, but it's unnecessary risk for them. Dumo could go there and get hurt in game 1 and then they are stuck with him and don't get that asset they were planning for. So similarly , I think they'd rather just have a 2nd instead of Dumo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Just because Smith and Poulin were drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean they are still viewed as 1st round assets. They'd rather have 1st round picks than either of those guys, especially Poulin.

I also don't think teams take on a guy with the intent to flip them very often. I'm sure there's examples, but it's unnecessary risk for them. Dumo could go there and get hurt in game 1 and then they are stuck with him and don't get that asset they were planning for. So similarly , I think they'd rather just have a 2nd instead of Dumo.

You are probably doing something like a 1st, Pickering, Dumo and a 2nd.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I've said this a few times now but the only way I want any part of a LD in a trade is if Dumoulin is shipped out. I do not want to see Hextall bring in a top 4 d and then have them sit POJ so they can keep playing Dumo on the third pair.

Fortunately unless someone goes on LTIR until the end of the season we probably have no cap space to make that kind of move anyways without moving salary out.

My guess is our trade deadline is pretty boring this year. We're capped out and all of our big salary players are either guys who just got re-signed or guys who Hextall would rather keep for a playoff run (Zucker/Dumo etc). There's no obvious candidates that I think Hextall would actually be willing to move to clear cap space. Maybe Kapanen, but I don't think anybody would want him at his current price tag, and that wouldn't clear up enough space to do much significant.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You are probably doing something like a 1st, Pickering, Dumo and a 2nd.
Pickering probably has more 1st round shine to him, but it would still come down to their evaluation of him.

They might be willing to take on Dumo to make the cap work, but he doesn't add any value for them IMO.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pickering probably has more 1st round shine to him, but it would still come down to their evaluation of him.

They might be willing to take on Dumo to make the cap work, but he doesn't add any value for them IMO.

If we make the trade now they can easily recoup a 3rd or something for him at the deadline. Similar to the Brassard deal.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
See, this is another reason why I hate the Rust contract. If he wasn’t on the books, re-signing Zucker and picking up a UFA winger seems ideal. I just don’t know that you want to be tied down long term to both rust and zucker

Cant see dumo holding back smith next year. POJ is making sully rethink things here. Sully has to know that adding and developing younger assets makes sense in a aging team. Next year Petry Letang, plus Sid and Geno are older and probably benefit from less minutes. Keep Jarry, Teddy B, Poehling, plus DOC, Hallander and Puustinen, will compete for spots as well.
Nothing ever makes nhl coaches rethink things. Sully is Sully. He’ll only change his mind about a specific player if that player forces him to

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol…kiss of death for significant injury for a Pen is returning to the game…

I was hoping they would give DOC a look now that he is riding a hot streak , looks like Heinen on L2
Sullivan just likes to give a cup of coffee in the big league to guys doing well in WBS as we’ve seen in the past…he’ll be the 13th forward until we get another injury lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't have a huge issue with the Penguins not calling up Smith, but I feel like this is a prime opportunity to call him up with Petry presumably missing for a while. If Petry has a broken wrist, that's probably a 6-12 week recovery time, so that's going to be a while. Giving Smith a look during that window seems like an obvious decision, but I understand Sullivan won't want to play Smith on his off-side over Ruhwedel.

If Zucker is out with a moderate injury again, it makes the decision to not re-sign him much easier. He's a good player if he can stay healthy, but he just seemingly can't stay healthy. Appreciate how good he's been this year, but let him go get a payday somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad