Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think they're just calling Doc up because they actually have cap space with Petry on IR so there's no reason not to.
Yeah, they could just be rewarding him for playing well in Wilkes…but I get inclined to think injuries because we’ve been unusually healthy for us lol…

Reactions: Pancakes

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
No shocker it's Friedman over Smith. I wonder if that's the right move. Smith could have replaced Petry on PP1.
I'm not surprised. Sullivan really dislikes playing defensemen on their off side, and I think he'd be even more hesitant to do it with a young guy. Someone explained it once about it having to put defensemen on their backhand too much in the defensive zone, but I'm not sure if there's any merit to that.

I would've said screw it and brought Smith up, but I guess I can see the logic.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah I don't think this is a knock on Smith who is playing fairly well down there. It's just a case of wanting a RD.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm not surprised. Sullivan really dislikes playing defensemen on their off side, and I think he'd be even more hesitant to do it with a young guy. Someone explained it once about it having to put defensemen on their backhand too much in the defensive zone, but I'm not sure if there's any merit to that.

I would've said screw it and brought Smith up, but I guess I can see the logic.
Yeah, I think Friedman being 4 years older and having 31 games as a Penguin is the prevailing factor though. Sully may just not want a headache. He's not big on risk taking or change.

Reactions: Big Poppa Pump

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m going to say Petry has a broken wrist with some possible ligament damage…possible surgery…out 8 weeks…I broke my wrist, luckily no surgery, but he was holding his limp arm coming off the ice just as I did when I broke my wrist lol

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
No shocker it's Friedman over Smith. I wonder if that's the right move. Smith could have replaced Petry on PP1.
Sullivan would never do that to Kris. It wasn’t even a pipe dream. It’s just not how he works.

I’m going to say Petry has a broken wrist with some possible ligament damage…possible surgery…out 8 weeks…I broke my wrist, luckily no surgery, but he was holding his limp arm coming off the ice just as I did when I broke my wrist lol
I don’t know why he was trolling the reporter who asked him about it. He’s not that dumb to think he might be fine. These guys know their bodies better than most.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think next season we see Smith up full time.

Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

Unless Hex wants to sell high on Petts and add Chychrun. ;)

Chychrun-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

That would be the best D on paper we have ever had in the Crosby era...but that's on paper.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sullivan would never do that to Kris. It wasn’t even a pipe dream. It’s just not how he works.
Reirden is in charge of the PP. Sullivan accepts his personnel decisions on the units.
But I guess at the end of the day Reirden is heavily biased towards Letang too, especially since he's in charge of the blue line as well.

I was mostly talking about an available good option for the team. It would be nice if they acquired Smith in hopes of actually helping the team, rather than that trade just being a Marino cap dump. We saw in training camp how he clearly knows what he's doing on the unit.
This coaching staff is pretty soft when it comes down to it. They prioritize feelings over lineup optimization.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I don’t know why he was trolling the reporter who asked him about it. He’s not that dumb to think he might be fine. These guys know their bodies better than most.
In his mind he was probably just answering the reporter’s question in a way that was Sullivan-approved lol:

Q: “How’s your left arm, Jeff?
A: “It’s fine” (knowing full well his “arm” was fine but his wrist was not lol); or

Q: How are you doing, Jeff?
A: I’m good. I’m not hurt [I’m not hurting at all thanks to that injection and I’m good all things considered for a guy with a broken wrist]

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In his mind he was probably just answering the reporter’s question in a way that was Sullivan-approved lol:

Q: “How’s your left arm, Jeff?
A: “It’s fine” (knowing full well his “arm” was fine but his wrist was not lol); or

Q: How are you doing, Jeff?
A: I’m good. I’m not hurt [I’m not hurting at all thanks to that injection and I’m good all things considered for a guy with a broken wrist]

Yeah this is exactly what I thought when Petry said he was fine. He was just pumped full of pain killers or was running off of adrenaline to say he was fine.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't really think that it is in the cards, but cannot help wonder about Chychrun.

For me, unless there was a home run upgrade in goal (and Jarry is playing as one of the better goalies in the league now, with all the usual caveats about his playoff nous), I think the biggest boost to our competitiveness would still come from a D-upgrade. You can say that we are vulnerable to a top6 injury, and that is true, but it is also hard and expensive to upgrade there, and there'd quickly be diminishing returns as we have no PP places to offer for forwards, and

Dumo is a big part of the PK, of course, but he has also been really dodgy in many games, and I really don't think he is someone we should re-sign.

So, if you can get someone for the top 4 who helps a lot ES and can bring some speed and offensive punch instead, who has a pretty sweet contract at 4.6 for the next two seasons after this.... to fully match our window, how far would you go? Some contender is going to this season, I'm sure. Not least with Chychrun having looked so good since returning from injury. 9 points in 11 and +5 on a pretty terrible Yotes team.

So, Dumo would have to go and at 4.1 if this was a deadline deal it would be OK cap-wise. Dumo is someone Arizona can easily flip for at least a 2nd with his pedigree. Then add Ty Smith, who would not have much of a purpose for us in any near future if we grabbed Chychrun, but should be a long term replacement for a rebuilding Yotes team. Then add our 1st rounder. Then add one of the young forwards from WBS. Say Poulin. That's basically three recent 1st round pick assets who can all play in the NHL now, plus a 2nd. Or Kappy could be involved if they fancied.

Would you, would we, would they? One imagines they'd like a more elite piece back, but they'll just have to draft one themselves. We don't have any young such to give.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Has any new Pens player EVER played 82 games in their first stint here?

This team is so very cursed.
Easy one. The key is Hot Dogs.
Ff9pwVnXgAMMMx5

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Because those drugs are GOOOOOOOD. :laugh:

Easy one. The key is Hot Dogs.
Ff9pwVnXgAMMMx5
It's pretty rad that the iron man streaks are usually held by completely inconsequential players, only partially counting Kessel here.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Because those drugs are GOOOOOOOD. :laugh:

It's pretty rad that the iron man streaks are usually held by completely inconsequential players, only partially counting Kessel here.
Good. Partial Kessel will bring down the iron on you and everyone you love if you doubt him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, it's like Kessel, then a parade of talents like Yandle, Jarvis, Unger, and Marleau. Larmer is underrated, I'll grant, but then you have perennial 5 goal scorer Andrew Cogliano in 7th.

It's definitely an accomplishment but a lot of these streaks seem to be accomplished by plugs, or players who spend several years as net negatives but keep getting signed based on "vet values".

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Looks like the cap will only go up by a million next year which is absolutely awesome for us.

We should be able to rob a team like Florida, San Jose, etc. blind if we want to.
That would require our gm to make a trade.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't really think that it is in the cards, but cannot help wonder about Chychrun.

For me, unless there was a home run upgrade in goal (and Jarry is playing as one of the better goalies in the league now, with all the usual caveats about his playoff nous), I think the biggest boost to our competitiveness would still come from a D-upgrade. You can say that we are vulnerable to a top6 injury, and that is true, but it is also hard and expensive to upgrade there, and there'd quickly be diminishing returns as we have no PP places to offer for forwards, and

Dumo is a big part of the PK, of course, but he has also been really dodgy in many games, and I really don't think he is someone we should re-sign.

So, if you can get someone for the top 4 who helps a lot ES and can bring some speed and offensive punch instead, who has a pretty sweet contract at 4.6 for the next two seasons after this.... to fully match our window, how far would you go? Some contender is going to this season, I'm sure. Not least with Chychrun having looked so good since returning from injury. 9 points in 11 and +5 on a pretty terrible Yotes team.

So, Dumo would have to go and at 4.1 if this was a deadline deal it would be OK cap-wise. Dumo is someone Arizona can easily flip for at least a 2nd with his pedigree. Then add Ty Smith, who would not have much of a purpose for us in any near future if we grabbed Chychrun, but should be a long term replacement for a rebuilding Yotes team. Then add our 1st rounder. Then add one of the young forwards from WBS. Say Poulin. That's basically three recent 1st round pick assets who can all play in the NHL now, plus a 2nd. Or Kappy could be involved if they fancied.

Would you, would we, would they? One imagines they'd like a more elite piece back, but they'll just have to draft one themselves. We don't have any young such to give.

I've wanted an upgrade on Dumo since, I believe, last season. But like you mention and like @Gurglesons pointed out to me, Dumo is taking some tough minutes on LD/PK/etc.

Would Chychrun be an upgrade on Dumo? Very likely. Would he be an upgrade on Ruhwedel on RD while Letang/Petry/Rutta are out? Very likely.

Can the Pens afford both Chychrun and Dumo while Petry is out on LTIR? Yes they can.

Depending on Arizona's ask/want/need I'd absolutely look into acquiring Chychrun. I'll go take a peak on the Yotes board.

edit: "Armstrong won’t be budging off an asking price that likely includes two first-round picks and either a second-round pick or a good prospect"

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Has any new Pens player EVER played 82 games in their first stint here?

This team is so very cursed.
I love Petry after the game saying he felt fine. Come on bro...watched a guy in beer league do the exact same thing and let's just say his wrist was visually bent a different direction
8c7ebee9-a116-41f1-b736-78911dc21316_text.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I love Petry after the game saying he felt fine. Come on bro...watched a guy in beer league do the exact same thing and let's just say his wrist was visually bent a different direction
View attachment 621451
Adrenaline is a hell of a thing though. When I snapped my clavicle in a judo tournament years ago, I kinda knew something was wrong but it didn't really hurt until hours later in the ER when they had to manipulate it for the X-ray. If you'd asked me an hour after I got off the mat how I was feeling, I'd have said "fine, just jammed the shoulder", but man, that bone was in like 4 different pieces. The adrenaline was basically holding me together until I got to the emergency room. :laugh:

In retrospect, I knew it was broken (that snap is a gross, gross sound), but I didn't want to admit it, plus the body's response to that kind of trauma is basically "what can we do to get to safety?" so the pain doesn't kick in until much much later and it's easy to convince yourself it's not as bad as it really is.

Hell, I've even medaled in tournaments after breaking a toe or finger in the first round and I think these dudes have way more incentive to play through injury than a once-decent, over-the-hill, amateur judoka. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad