Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don’t see the point of signing a 30 year old Jake to a huge deal when we likely have one year left in our window.

Grab the assets and if you think we can be competitive still following the next two seasons use those assets to bring in a younger talent on a cost controlled deal.

You're ignoring the most important factor: Sid

"Hey Sid we're gonna remove your most consistent linemate for the past 7 years. Hope you're ok with that"

Even if we're not in contention for the playoffs, Jake being traded isn't going to happen. I'd like that, but we're not playing video game GM here

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The trade protections really rankle me. When this thing falls off a cliff I want to be able to trade him to most organizations. I would give on AAV if we could make the NTC very very limited.

I just figure we have 2 more years of Crosby after this.
I'd like to stay competitive during that time frame. Maybe 8.5 to 8.8 can remove some NTC protection on years 4 to 6. I just don't mind giving full protection first 3 years if a player gives a discount to the cap and wants to be here. I signed the contract to keep you.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don’t see the point of signing a 30 year old Jake to a huge deal when we likely have one year left in our window.

Grab the assets and if you think we can be competitive still following the next two seasons use those assets to bring in a younger talent on a cost controlled deal.
What "younger talent" is going to mesh with Crosby anything like Guentzel has?

It took a decade for the Pens to get a winger who clicked with Sid like Jake has - and there were some stars in that mix. Another one isn’t gonna just fall in our laps.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Has to be a big trade to be worth it. f*** moving Jake for a shifty first round pick and blah prospect imo

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rust will have 3 years left on his deal at that point and his trade protection falls off.

Yes. Rust isn't as talented as Jake. What's the point? Rust made sure he was here for the rest of the cores time save Crosby. Jake will probably do the same type of deal with it fluctuating. Look at Letang's that takes him to 40/41, Malkin to 39.

I'd rather let Rust go than Jake.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
So, is the EK saga over or what?

I won't let that happen.... Until it is.
Tmn3Omf.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because we are talking Jake getting an 8 year deal. At best we have a competitive team for three of those years and then we have a 33 year old undersized winger making 8+ mil for 5 years.
Why couldn't trade protections be limited later on?

I also wouldn't say an 8 year deal is inevitable.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I just figure we have 2 more years of Crosby after this.
I'd like to stay competitive during that time frame. Maybe 8.5 to 8.8 can remove some NTC protection on years 4 to 6. I just don't mind giving full protection first 3 years if a player gives a discount to the cap and wants to be here. I signed the contract to keep you.

Rust's NTC has already killed us this offseason. If we could ship Rust elsewhere we likely already have Karlsson

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Has to be a big trade to be worth it. f*** moving Jake for a shifty first round pick and blah prospect imo

I’d rather have that then letting Jake walk or signing him to a 8 year deal at 30

In their last playoff run, that duo had 10 goals and 20 points in 13 games.

They haven't failed us, the complementary players have.

Still lost in embarrassing fashion with Jake being meh in the last two games.

Why couldn't trade protections be limited later on?

I also wouldn't say an 8 year deal is inevitable.

That’s what we are discussing though. If Jake signs 9 mil for 3 years I’m fine resigning him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The issue isn’t the cap hit with Jake. The issue is giving him a long term deal.
I don't see the issue with giving him 6-7 years honestly. Even if we are in the gutter by year 5, we still need players, we still need to get the cap floor, and if he's still good value, we can trade and retain for assets.

I have fewer reservations about Jake signing a 7yr deal at 28 than I do with Letang signing a 6yr deal at 35.

In his case, I think you can trade some dollars for term. I honestly think he signs a 7x7 which is a great deal for both sides. That said, I could do 8x5 or 9x3-4.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Rust's NTC has already killed us this offseason. If we could ship Rust elsewhere we likely already have Karlsson
So I personally believe there's a difference between the players and I would not have given Rust as much protection as his current contract.

If we want to sign Guentzel to a 9.5 million over 5 years contract and year 3 to 5 no protection sure let's go for it. I just would rather have a lower AAV.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They’re just not trading Jake. The talk seems silly. Crosby will have him until he retires. You aren’t trading jake and having Crosby play with some rookie. Give Crosby the best players you can until he retires.

I want to see him hit 100 pts again.

They’re not close to a cup so make his last few years in the league fun.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't see the issue with giving him 6-7 years honestly. Even if we are in the gutter by year 5, we still need players, we still need to get the cap floor, and if he's still good value, we can trade and retain for assets.

I have fewer reservations about Jake signing a 7yr deal at 28 than I do with Letang signing a 6yr deal at 35.

In his case, I think you can trade some dollars for term. I honestly think he signs a 7x7 which is a great deal for both sides. That said, I could do 8x5 or 9x3-4.
Signing Jake at a long term deal helps us now and in the future. Now for the obvious reason and later to help with the rebuild when we can trade him for assets.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We should just trade Jake in season tbh.

There is no reason to sign him and I highly doubt this team is anywhere close to a contender by the deadline with our goaltending and forward depth.
We're going to be saying this every year, and it is likely justified. I think we just have to realize that the decision has been made that we are going to go at it, until we fall off the proverbial cliff.

I'll be shocked if the number doesn't start with 9. The term is tricky. This is it for him - especially considering the harder game he's played. 30 years old next October when the contract would 'start'....why would he sign for 4? He's going to want 7 or 8 years.
9M x 5y + 5.5M x 3yr = 7.6M @ 8 years
Does that work?

Reilly Smith...
He does like to score high, and has finish (similar to Zucker), so that part works well with Geno/Sid.

Does anybody know if he drives the corners and pulls out pucks (like Zucker did)? Highlights show his goals, but not his work. If he doesn't, then Geno is going to do more of that himself, which means he'll be getting injured.

The key to a healthy/productive Geno is linemates that can do more of the dirty work for him.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
They’re just not trading Jake. The talk seems silly. Crosby will have him until he retires. You aren’t trading jake and having Crosby play with some rookie. Give Crosby the best players you can until he retires.

I want to see him hit 100 pts again.

They’re not close to a cup so make his last few years in the league fun.
This team isn't getting a rookie with Top 6 potential anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad