Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Signing Jake at a long term deal helps us now and in the future. Now for the obvious reason and later to help with the rebuild when we can trade him for assets.
Indeed. I don't get the "durr butt we need da rebuild" argument. There are plenty of teams in the league that are rebuilding that have a Jake level player on the team.

Arizona - Keller
Anaheim - Terry
Montreal - Caufield
Detroit - Larkin
CBJ - Laine
Philly - Konecny
Sharks - Hertl

Jake isn't going to single-handedly ruin tanking hopes.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We are getting too far off subject here. Jake is in no way going to be traded.

hwDwIy3.gif

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Indeed. I don't get the "durr butt we need da rebuild" argument. There are plenty of teams in the league that are rebuilding that have a Jake level player on the team.

Arizona - Keller
Anaheim - Terry
Montreal - Caufield
Detroit - Larkin
CBJ - Laine
Philly - Konecny
Sharks - Hertl

Jake isn't going to single-handedly ruin tanking hopes.

Yep. There is a floor you need some people on contracts.

We are getting too far off subject here. Jake is in no way going to be traded.

hwDwIy3.gif

What would you like to discuss Ugene. Just EK?

Reactions: Darren McCord

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Trading Jake for a middle 6 forward, a 1st and a prospect doesn’t exactly seem like a great idea. If they want to move Jake instead of re-signing him, it needs to be a move like Florida did with Huberdeau for Tkachuk. Add some other pieces to Jake to get a bigger impact player. Don’t just trade Jake for trash

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Trading Jake for a middle 6 forward, a 1st and a prospect doesn’t exactly seem like a great idea. If they want to move Jake instead of re-signing him, it needs to be a move like Florida did with Huberdeau for Tkachuk. Add some other pieces to Jake to get a bigger impact player. Don’t just trade Jake for trash

You won’t get a player like that for Jake.

In both my scenarios you were getting a forward who can put up 40-50 pts and maybe more potentially if played with Sid all game plus a prospect and a 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Trading Guentzel for a worse forward and a likely late 1st round pick would be an amazing way to tell the core to go screw themselves.

Not really. It’d be an amazing way to actually be taking risks and trying different solutions with a “core” that has done nothing for half a decade.

Jake Guentzel isn’t a “core” piece and overpaying him because he works with Sid is a good way to shut the window and f*** over our future at the same time.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Trading Guentzel for a worse forward and a likely late 1st round pick would be an amazing way to tell the core to go screw themselves.

Not really. It’d be an amazing way to actually be taking risks and trying different solutions with a “core” that has done nothing for half a decade.

Jake Guentzel isn’t a “core” piece and overpaying him because he works with Sid is a good way to shut the window and f*** over our future at the same time.

Who says we would be over paying him and why would we want a another low end top 6 guy in our top 6.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Okay go tell Crosby, Malkin and Letang that.

"Remember how there were rumors we were trading for Karlsson? We're not only not doing that, but we're trading Crosby's best linemate for a worse player and a draft pick. Good luck next year, thanks for re-signing!".

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Who says we would be over paying him and why would we want a another low end top 6 guy in our top 6.

I want something different. Jake is a great player. If he signs for short term over 3-4 years I’m fine resigning him. But if he’s asking for a long term deal, I don’t.

He’s also one of our few trade assets if we are underachieving in season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Okay go tell Crosby, Malkin and Letang that.

"Remember how there were rumors we were trading for Karlsson? We're not only not doing that, but we're trading Crosby's best linemate for a worse player and a draft pick. Good luck next year, thanks for re-signing!".

The outlined deal was at the deadline not now.

If they want it to be different, be in the playoffs, be committed to playing both sides of the puck and have this team looking like a contender.

If we are 9th in the division you wouldn’t take Arvidsson or Tuevo in addition to a 1st and a prospect for Jake at the deadline?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ofc . At least we have a million bottom 6 players that can't score

Zadina's career high in points is 24.

The outlined deal was at the deadline not now.

If they want it to be different, be in the playoffs, be committed to playing both sides of the puck and have this team looking like a contender.

If we are 9th in the division you wouldn’t take Arvidsson or Tuevo in addition to a 1st and a prospect for Jake at the deadline?

Try selling Crosby, Malkin and Letang on that deal. Pretend you're Dubas and try to convince them that this is what will be maximizing their remaining years in Pittsburgh.

The situation with Guentzel is basically you need to either bring in a comparable or better player if you're moving him out. Trading him for a worse player and a 1st is a direct middle finger to the big guns. If you want to move him, fine, but you can't move him for worse pieces. Especially a 1st, what does a 1st do?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I want something different. Jake is a great player. If he signs for short term over 3-4 years I’m fine resigning him. But if he’s asking for a long term deal, I don’t.

He’s also one of our few trade assets if we are underachieving in season.

If there is some trade where it's Guentzel + for someone like Nylander as an example. Sure let's do it.

If we want to hold off to see what happens near the deadline sure let's hold off and decide right then and there If we sign him to a contract or not depending on how we played.

I just don't think we win any trade where we have a worse top 6 because we lose him.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

In your eyes Jake isn't viewed as a "Core" player, but the franchise certainly does. And don't shoot the messenger bc I agree with you. Only pointing out that FSG/Dubas/Sully have a very different take on Jake than we do

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Zadina's career high in points is 24.

Try selling Crosby, Malkin and Letang on that deal. Pretend you're Dubas and try to convince them that this is what will be maximizing their remaining years in Pittsburgh.

The situation with Guentzel is basically you need to either bring in a comparable or better player if you're moving him out. Trading him for a worse player and a 1st is a direct middle finger to the big guns. If you want to move him, fine, but you can't move him for worse pieces. Especially a 1st, what does a 1st do?

If I’m Crosby, Malkin and Letang and looking at our current team I’m not sure how I’m convinced we’ve maximized the remaining years in Pittsburgh.

And honestly who cares? If Jake won’t sign for a deal that fits in line with the core, say bye. Same approach we took with Malkin.

If there is some trade where it's Guentzel + for someone like Nylander as an example. Sure let's do it.

If we want to hold off to see what happens near the deadline sure let's hold off and decide right then and there If we sign him to a contract or not depending on how we played.

I just don't think we win any trade where we have a worse top 6 because we lose him.

You can lose the Guentzel trade and win by packaging those assets or signing a better fit the next offseason.

If Jake is unsigned at the deadline and we are barely in the playoffs not moving him is a way to sink this franchise too.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad