Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jake would bring back a Debrincat type return. Hardly worth moving him for that. I'd only consider it if the team looked headed towards the tank.

If we move him at the deadline I can see is getting way more. We can retain and sell him to a team for 3 mil and he’s got a cup ring and a much better record of being a difference maker in the playoffs.

I look at LA, Jersey, and Carolina as teams that may all have interest in him.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we move him at the deadline I can see is getting way more. We can retain and sell him to a team for 3 mil and he’s got a cup ring and a much better record of being a difference maker in the playoffs.

I look at LA, Jersey, and Carolina as teams that may all have interest in him.
Maybe. I'm open to it if we suck and if someone offered a huge deal.

Realistically though I'm sure Jake wants to re-sign. It sounded like he was already open to it and he likes it here.

So I don't see him going anywhere even if we suck tbh

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Realistically though I'm sure Jake wants to re-sign. It sounded like he was already open to it and he likes it here.

I don’t see the point of signing a 30 year old Jake to a huge deal when we likely have one year left in our window.

Grab the assets and if you think we can be competitive still following the next two seasons use those assets to bring in a younger talent on a cost controlled deal.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don’t see the point of signing a 30 year old Jake to a huge deal when we likely have one year left in our window.

Grab the assets and if you think we can be competitive still following the next two seasons use those assets to bring in a younger talent on a cost controlled deal.

I agree that I would look into it. Just don't think the org will. I mean, we had a similar situation with Dumo and I don't think we even heard a rumbling about it being considered.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Objectively that is absolutely true but realistically FSG is going to want someone around who can at least draw interest, even if it's from idiots. Still have to sell what tickets you can.

Course if we've learned anything recently, FSG could sell off every player they have and sign like, two guys who were born within a 100 mile radius of The Point and get plaudits from at least 75% of the population.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Objectively that is absolutely true but realistically FSG is going to want someone around who can at least draw interest, even if it's from idiots. Still have to sell what tickets you can.

Course if we've learned anything recently, FSG could sell off every player they have and sign like, two guys who were born within a 100 mile radius of The Point and get plaudits from at least 75% of the population.

If they just would have signed Vinny Trots last year things would have gone different.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

But the team isn't looking to go into a rebuild past the Crosby deal expires. He may in fact sign a new deal. Maybe.

Also, Geno will still be here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
But the team isn't looking to go into a rebuild past the Crosby deal expires. He may in fact sign a new deal. Maybe.

Then like I said, deal Jake for assets and bring in a different player.

Just for reference if we can get a 1st, “cap dump” and a prospect with some upside we can then package that 1st for someone else.

If I looked at LAK or Carolina I’d think something like..

Arvidsson, 1st, Kaliyev
Tuevo, 1st, Suzuki

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Different scenarios
Debrincat wanted out. Jake presumably does not. Jake is a better point producer too and is a 2x Cup winner

Plus the cap is going up next year... rising tide lifting all boats and all that

Also, the Pens tend to go to bat for their "homegrown" guys:

Rust
Letang
Geno

All got deals done last year before FA. Jarry got it this year too. Jake will be no different

I predict he'll get a number starting with a 9
They are different scenarios. They produce about the same despite one playing regularly with Crosby, and DeBrincat is younger.

I'd be surprised if he got 8 per.

Reactions: Victor Z

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

The smart people would trade him at TDL if we’re not in a PO spot and then resign him as a UFA on a handshake deal lol

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It'd be cool to trade jake for a landside at the TDL, if we are still teh suck

And then have him re-sign here on a discount without a full NMC

You know, some of that rental fleecing that the Pens never get to benefit from

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We keep acting like everyone here has melted Yinzerbrain, but _NOBODY_ here is screaming to sign everyone (or ANYONE) who has possibly once smelled Western PA.

I joke but it's actually pretty cool that the region seems to regularly produce NHL talent, now. Wasn't really the case back in day.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Guentzel is a point pee game winger with a top 10 center. Has scored 40 twice. I would call him roughly a 30+ goal scorer though.

28 right now but at season start 29.
30 when his deal starts.
I think his agent will point to the Nylander deal and Timo Mier deal.
we could point to the Debrincat deal and I think that last year really hurt his chances at 9 or 9.5 million.

I wonder if 8 million for 6 years would work.

FULL NMC first 2 years. Max bonuses every year to make it buyout proof

Full NTC for year 3. Year 4 24 team
Year 5 and 6 12 team NTC.

What do people think?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Guentzel is a point pee game winger with a top 10 center. Has scored 40 twice. I would call him roughly a 30+ goal scorer though.

28 right now but at season start 29.
30 when his deal starts.
I think his agent will point to the Nylander deal and Timo Mier deal.
we could point to the Debrincat deal and I think that last year really hurt his chances at 9 or 9.5 million.

I wonder if 8 million for 6 years would work.

FULL NMC first 2 years. Max bonuses every year to make it buyout proof

Full NTC for year 3. Year 4 24 team
Year 5 and 6 12 team NTC.

What do people think?

The trade protections really rankle me. When this thing falls off a cliff I want to be able to trade him to most organizations. I would give on AAV if we could make the NTC very very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad