Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Do you really want to let him test free agency?
95% of players you let try free agency either they have a good year or two and have a unrealistic bloated offer which then your production falls off and you are just a burden moving team to team... or you take a decently livable contract on a team with your mates where you won't be a cap burden if you produce decent enough to earn your keep.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
TDA is going to be a steal for Carolina at that cap hit

Meh he’s the third paring RD. He gets half’s his points on the power play. He won’t get that on the canes. He had the worst +/- on the flyers defense by a large margin.

He should never have been making 5 to begin with

The smart route was giving a better offer to Philly for DeAngelo and using all those millions in savings compared to EK's cap hit on improving other areas of the roster.
Watch TDA put up similar points to EK next year and be better defensively, at a 2.5M cap hit. All at the cost of a 7th rounder for Carolina. f*** me. That might be the best move in free agency. That or Duchene at 3M.

DeAngelo is awful on defense. He is way overrated

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Let's everybody calm down, and post our favorite numbers. Mine's 6, because it's so versatile. It's like owning a 6 AND a 9 at the same time!

Hinostroza is basically the next Blake Comeau if you go by per 60s.

You know Blake Comeau, the best winger Evgeni Malkin ever played with. We rued the day we let him walk.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hard to imagine Guentzel getting anywhere near 8 mil per on a long-term deal after Debrincat's contract.

Different scenarios
Debrincat wanted out. Jake presumably does not. Jake is a better point producer too and is a 2x Cup winner
Plus the cap is going up next year... rising tide lifting all boats and all that

Also, the Pens tend to go to bat for their "homegrown" guys:

Rust
Letang
Geno

All got deals done last year before FA. Jarry got it this year too. Jake will be no different

I predict he'll get a number starting with a 9

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jarry has the ability (slim or not) to perform to contract level...this board has a 0% chance to pull this thread back up to sanity.
Yea but.. this isn't a Jack Hughes situation where you pay the guy for the level you expect him to perform to over the next 5 years. Like Dubas said, we've already seen a big sample size of Jarry - what you see is what you get. You can close your eyes, give him 27 million over 5 years and pray all his warts magically disappear next season, or you can face reality and walk away. Maybe walking away hurts for a year until we figure out the next situation. But that's life. Sometimes you have to walk straight into uncertainty. Sadly we didn't do that.

I'm just saying if Jarry is your "safest" option then you're totally f***ed man.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Last year Sid and Geno factored in on over 70% of all Penguins scoring. A team that was universally hated by this board - and it wasn't JUST Dumo and Carter.

Good thing they won't have to do that/improve on that this year.....

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Different scenarios
Debrincat wanted out. Jake presumably does not. Jake is a better point producer too and is a 2x Cup winner
Plus the cap is going up next year... rising tide lifting all boats and all that

Also, the Pens tend to go to bat for their "homegrown" guys:

Rust
Letang
Geno

All got deals done last year before FA. Jarry got it this year too. Jake will be no different

I predict he'll get a number starting with a 9

I think Jake 9 x 5

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Hinostroza is basically the next Blake Comeau if you go by per 60s.

You know Blake Comeau, the best winger Evgeni Malkin ever played with. We rued the day we let him walk.
So I just have a question… wasn’t the problem with Comeau that he was played in the top 6? So if Hinostroza actually would perform like Comeau but he does that while playing in the bottom six wouldn’t that actually be good?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
We should just trade Jake in season tbh.

There is no reason to sign him and I highly doubt this team is anywhere close to a contender by the deadline with our goaltending and forward depth.

No one unless you want to send out Crosby too. They aren’t trading Sids winger. Jake will still have value when Sid is done. You sign him. Then retain later for draft picks.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We should just trade Jake in season tbh.

There is no reason to sign him and I highly doubt this team is anywhere close to a contender by the deadline with our goaltending and forward depth.

Only if Sully is gone first - or the 1st rounder(s) are in 2026+.

I'd hate to trade Jake for more PK depth and guys that just 'play the game a certain way'.

Thank God the PK - the death knell (weren't they first or second in the league in Nov/Dec?) of the 2022/2023 Penguins is improved.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Meh he’s the third paring RD. He gets half’s his points on the power play. He won’t get that on the canes. He had the worst +/- on the flyers defense by a large margin.

He should never have been making 5 to begin with

DeAngelo is awful on defense. He is way overrated
You want to look at his +/- on the Flyers, one of the worst teams in hockey last year than you need to look at his +/- on Carolina the year before that where he was a +30. The +/- doesn't tell the whole story.

Hes not great defensively but you could do much worse, transitionally he is extremely smooth at getting the puck up the ice in todays NHL. If TDA is your 3rd pairing D-man you likely have an worldly solid defense, that Carolina has.

Carolina is well aware of what TDA brings that's why he's back and they got him at 1/2 his value. If he wasn't any good he wouldn't be back. He left b/c he got paid and he's back on a discount. Another great move by the Canes this TDL

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
No one unless you want to send out Crosby too. They aren’t trading Sids winger. Jake will still have value when Sid is done. You sign him. Then retain layer for draft picks.

I think the problem that he didn't mention but we all know is that Jake will come with a full NMC or a damn tight NTC.

This org has handed them out like candy for over a half decade now. Jake? Get used to a future return from Chicago, Minnesota, or Nashville.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sullivan and what is that other guys name from the steelers... tomlin!
Okay, so after coaching those two guys could have a go round the country seminar 'how to stay employed much longer than you should be' tour.

Seriously, they must be duplicitous little monsters or corporate boot lickers.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
You want to look at his +/- on the Flyers, one of the worst teams in hockey last year than you need to look at his +/- on Carolina the year before that where he was a +30. The +/- doesn't tell the whole story.

Hes not great defensively but you could do much worse, transitionally he is extremely smooth at getting the puck up the ice in todays NHL. If TDA is your 3rd pairing D-man you likely have an worldly solid defense, that Carolina has.

Carolina is well aware of what TDA brings that's why he's back and they got him at 1/2 his value. If he wasn't any good he wouldn't be back. He left b/c he got paid and he's back on a discount. Another great move by the Canes this TDL

He’s realistically a 3-4 million dollar defense. He’s not much different than ghost. He will be good for the canes but he’s definitely getting overrated in what his impact will be.

I think the problem that he didn't mention but we all know is that Jake will come with a full NMC or a damn tight NTC.

This org has handed them out like candy for over a half decade now. Jake? Get used to a future return from Chicago, Minnesota, or Nashville.

Nah Dubas has kept it to 12 team nmc or less.

I think Jake gets more money on a short deal to be moveably later.

Maybe NTC for three years that becomes modified NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad