Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
We're going to be saying this every year, and it is likely justified. I think we just have to realize that the decision has been made that we are going to go at it, until we fall off the proverbial cliff.

9M x 5y + 5.5M x 3yr = 7.6M @ 8 years
Does that work?

Reilly Smith...
He does like to score high, and has finish (similar to Zucker), so that part works well with Geno/Sid.

Does anybody know if he drives the corners and pulls out pucks (like Zucker did)? Highlights show his goals, but not his work. If he doesn't, then Geno is going to do more of that himself, which means he'll be getting injured.

The key to a healthy/productive Geno is linemates that can do more of the dirty work for him.
Smith is better defensively, not as fast and Zucker is probably much better at getting the puck while in the zone and getting it out of the corners and behind the net to his teammates.

I imagine one of Smiths family members will come in defending him like I am attacking him which I am not. Its just one of the things I mentioned that Zucker does better than Smith.

Ideally if we had some spend with Granlund money we would have another talented middle 6 winger that could do the things you mentioned well on Geno's line and the other guy could be moved to L3 making us a much stronger team by moving a better player down.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
When you try to be the smarter guy and you are just stupid and can’t read.
Maybe everybody should take a step back and stop trying to be "The Smarter Guy", because it's made this place increasingly unpleasant to be around, everyone trying to play the "I'm the only smart one around here" act.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
When you try to be the smarter guy and you are just stupid and can’t read.

Jake is signed this year. He will be 29 this year. He signs his contract (8x8) next season at 30. 3 years pass. That would be 5 years left.

Thank you.

He will sign his contract when he is 29.

When Jake is 33 and at the TDL, he could have at most 4 years left on his contract. His first year of his contract would be the 2024-2025 season and at that TDL in 2025, he will be 30.

Trade Deadline Age:

2025: 30
2026: 31
2027: 32
2028: 33

Thus 4 years into his at max 8 year contract, and at the TDL, he would be 33. Thus he would have 4 years left on the contract after that season.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Indeed. I don't get the "durr butt we need da rebuild" argument. There are plenty of teams in the league that are rebuilding that have a Jake level player on the team.

Arizona - Keller
Anaheim - Terry
Montreal - Caufield
Detroit - Larkin
CBJ - Laine
Philly - Konecny
Sharks - Hertl

Jake isn't going to single-handedly ruin tanking hopes.
Do we really want to put ourselves in the class with those teams?

I guess its just come to reality that most of the posters here have accepted mediocrity which is fine I guess but when you talk to Crosby/Malkin I can assure you they wouldn't accept that and there is no reason this mgmt should

IMO if the team isn't going to "go for it" why string Jake along to make Crosby "happy". If you aren't going for it Crosby isn't going to be happy anyway

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

I guess its just come to reality that most of the posters here have accepted mediocrity which is fine I guess but when you talk to Crosby/Malkin I can assure you they wouldn't accept that and there is no reason this mgmt should

IMO if the team isn't going to "go for it" why string Jake along to make Crosby "happy". If you aren't going for it Crosby isn't going to be happy anyway
He seems to be perfectly happy with Sully still making a mess of things.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

The problem is that from within the organization, they probably do actually think they are going for it.

Looking at the roster from an outside POV, it's pretty clear that they're not going anywhere.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
BTW nice pickup by SJ to grab Zadina at no risk at all. A 23 year old with that pedigree who is gambling on himself.

That's the kind of gamble I wish we took on some young high skilled players at no risk.

Keeping it EK related he's probably coming back our way in a trade anyway

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
BTW nice pickup by SJ to grab Zadina at no risk at all. A 23 year old with that pedigree who is gambling on himself.

That's the kind of gamble I wish we took on some young high skilled players at no risk.

Keeping it EK related he's probably coming back our way anyway in the trade
I wanted to roll the dice on Zadina too, but I'm sure he and his agent have a brain which means they know there's likely 25+ more favorable options to try to raise his stock for next year and save his career.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
The outlined deal was at the deadline not now.

If they want it to be different, be in the playoffs, be committed to playing both sides of the puck and have this team looking like a contender.

If we are 9th in the division you wouldn’t take Arvidsson or Tuevo in addition to a 1st and a prospect for Jake at the deadline?
No I wouldn’t take a worse winger and some magic beans just because you “want something different.” This isn’t even about keeping the image of being a contender alive or whatever. That trade for Jake just isn’t a good enough return to warrant trading him. I’m open to trading Jake as well. For a package that’s actually worth trading him for. Arvidsson or Tuevo + magic beans isn’t it

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Talk about what? I'm honestly unsure of what they could be reaching out to Karlsson about.

Are both the Penguins and Canes trying to strong arm the Sharks into making a move sooner? Maybe by saying "pick one of the two and force the Sharks to work with one team"?
Well, for one, Karlsson controls his destination. Karlsson could have these talks and get back to Grier and say make __?__ of the two happen.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Maybe everybody should take a step back and stop trying to be "The Smarter Guy", because it's made this place increasingly unpleasant to be around, everyone trying to play the "I'm the only smart one around here" act.

When one of the posters always does ""hurr durr other person's opinion stupid!" as their schtick instead of fairly representing it, they deserve derision.

It's like the AlTeRNatInG CAPitAl LeTteRS people. Telling on themselves

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

When Jake is 33 and at the TDL, he could have at most 4 years left on his contract. His first year of his contract would be the 2024-2025 season and at that TDL in 2025, he will be 30.

Trade Deadline Age:

Thus 4 years into his at max 8 year contract, and at the TDL, he would be 33. Thus he would have 4 years left on the contract after that season.

You right.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Smith is better defensively, not as fast and Zucker is probably much better at getting the puck while in the zone and getting it out of the corners and behind the net to his teammates.

I imagine one of Smiths family members will come in defending him like I am attacking him which I am not. Its just one of the things I mentioned that Zucker does better than Smith.

Ideally if we had some spend with Granlund money we would have another talented middle 6 winger that could do the things you mentioned well on Geno's line and the other guy could be moved to L3 making us a much stronger team by moving a better player down.

Why I'm still angered over the Granlund trade and the fact he wasn't bought out /dumped prior to FA.
We theoretically could have had Smith AND brough Zucker back without boat anchor Granlund. Talk about winger depth and flexibility.

Or for those that don't care for Zucker, perhaps Bertuzzi. Also the EK deal could be absorbed a bit better...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Trade Deadline Age:

split right in the middle :laugh::laugh::laugh:, at this year mathematic olympics

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I like how you keep saying factually incorrect things and then saying "one of Smith's family members will come in defending him".

If you'd stop saying "Zucker and Smith are a wash offensively", no one would be criticizing your opinion. It's that you keep saying things that are easily disproven with looking on hockeydb for 20 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad