Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, bringing up the Caps ignores why the Caps fell off a cliff. The Capitals fell off because their core started falling apart. Backstrom, Wilson and Oshie have been missing substantial time due to injuries and their play fell off dramatically as a result. Carlson, Backstrom and Wilson all played in less than half of the season last year, of course they're going to suck when they're missing so many good players.

That comparable situation to the Penguins is them missing Malkin, Guentzel and Letang for half of the season and Crosby basically being by himself having to carry the team. Any team is going to suck with those kind of injuries. And in Washington's case, they still only ended up picking #8 overall with that many injuries.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Short of a months-long injury to Sid or Geno, I imagine the team next year makes the playoffs relatively comfortably. Graves in for Dumo, a more defensively safe bottom-6, and Smith in for Zucker (lateral move production-wise, imo, but Smith should be more durable so we can expect another ~50 points from that spot instead of rolling the dice that Zucker's health/play kept up) should be enough.

But again, health is a big factor, and the overall playoff picture could look a bit different. Ottawa and Buffalo should be a bit better, especially if one of them somehow end up with Hellebuyck. NJ, Carolina, and Toronto are probably going to be safe bets to be in the playoffs. The Rangers, I think, are probably above Pittsburgh and NYI but below teams like NJ and Carolina in the Metro. I think the Bruins fall off quite a bit but still hover around a playoff spot. Florida is meh, I think they had their one miracle run and they're back to being on the outside imo. Tampa's probably still going to be a playoff team. Detroit's probably gonna be meh, the Caps and Habs are bad, Philly's gonna be *brutal*, and Columbus is a big question mark--but I imagine they're still gonna be on the outside looking in for a little bit.

I don't think the Pens are gonna be bottom feeders in the next two years, but I think once Sid's current contract is up, the team's gonna be teetering on the edge of absolute implosion. If Sid doesn't re-up for another couple years of doing the queen's wave in a retirement tour, they're donezo.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also, bringing up the Caps ignores why the Caps fell off a cliff. The Capitals fell off because their core started falling apart. Backstrom, Wilson and Oshie have been missing substantial time due to injuries and their play fell off dramatically as a result. Carlson, Backstrom and Wilson all played in less than half of the season last year, of course they're going to suck when they're missing so many good players.

That comparable situation to the Penguins is them missing Malkin, Guentzel and Letang for half of the season and Crosby basically being by himself having to carry the team. Any team is going to suck with those kind of injuries. And in Washington's case, they still only ended up picking #8 overall with that many injuries.

The Penguins will not necessarily suck in 2024-2025 but it is more of a possibility than it is the year before that and this year.
Trading the opportunity to pick really high for a guy who scored 100 points and still landed as a -25 would have to have some other crazy awesome stuff coming along. Like taking Granlund, a huge amount of retention, etc.

Either way, Dubas will not trade the 2025 1st. If he would, this deal would already be done.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think the Pens are gonna be bottom feeders in the next two years, but I think once Sid's current contract is up, the team's gonna be teetering on the edge of absolute implosion. If Sid doesn't re-up for another couple years of doing the queen's wave in a retirement tour, they're donezo.

This is pure speculation on my part but I bet Crosby signs a 1 year deal to retire in the same year as Malkin.

But yeah, the only way they're going to suck is if they get clobbered with injuries, and I don't think you should preemptively plan for injuries for a justification for why not to make a trade.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is pure speculation on my part but I bet Crosby signs a 1 year deal to retire in the same year as Malkin.

But yeah, the only way they're going to suck is if they get clobbered with injuries, and I don't think you should preemptively plan for injuries for a justification for why not to make a trade.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what Sid's gonna do. I think a guy like him is gonna have one hell of a time walking away from the game, especially if his body hasn't given out and he's still able to play at a solid-to-good level. But I also think Sid's one of those psychotic competitors who may throw in the towel with where the team's likely to be at by the time he's up for another deal, knowing better than anyone how far away the team is from legitimacy in another couple of seasons. He doesn't really have a Gretzky goal record to chase like Ovechkin.

I also don't think Geno's gonna play that fourth year of his contract, but that's just wild speculation. If I had to guess, he'll be LTIRetired or something so he's the guy lining up with Sid's retirement, not the other way around. But it could definitely be what you're suggesting too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Call up Arizona about Cooley or Keller.

We don't even know if Karlsson is a net positive player. He just could have some wildly great right tail outcomes and it would be fun.

The latest word on Arizona is they want to be good and Keller isn't for sale. Even if they are lying and he is available, we're talking a 24 year old winger who just went ppg and has 5 x 7m left. Two 1sts don't get him. If Keller is on the market, he's probably getting a blue chip prospect.

He's also arguably not better than Karlsson. If we want to talk net positives, Karlsson just went with 50% of the 5v5 goal share on a team that got 36% of it without him. Keller got 50.39% on a team that got 42% without him. Both guys seems to be in the same level of doubt there. Karlsson's minuses come from empty netters and the like. Going from the eye test, I think Karlsson does some very special things with the puck, and I'm not sure I've seen Keller ever do that.

Toronto won't trade Nylander here. If Calgary are forced to trade Lindholm, they will get a haul. San Jose are a little more constrained and they have the guy who could have the biggest impact season here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The latest word on Arizona is they want to be good and Keller isn't for sale. Even if they are lying and he is available, we're talking a 24 year old winger who just went ppg and has 5 x 7m left. Two 1sts don't get him. If Keller is on the market, he's probably getting a blue chip prospect.

He's also arguably not better than Karlsson. If we want to talk net positives, Karlsson just went with 50% of the 5v5 goal share on a team that got 36% of it without him. Keller got 50.39% on a team that got 42% without him. Both guys seems to be in the same level of doubt there. Karlsson's minuses come from empty netters and the like. Going from the eye test, I think Karlsson does some very special things with the puck, and I'm not sure I've seen Keller ever do that.

Toronto won't trade Nylander here. If Calgary are forced to trade Lindholm, they will get a haul. San Jose are a little more constrained and they have the guy who could have the biggest impact season here.

Yeah it is Chychrun 2.0.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Penguins will not necessarily suck in 2024-2025 but it is more of a possibility than it is the year before that and this year.
Trading the opportunity to pick really high for a guy who scored 100 points and still landed as a -25 would have to have some other crazy awesome stuff coming along. Like taking Granlund, a huge amount of retention, etc.

Either way, Dubas will not trade the 2025 1st. If he would, this deal would already be done.
Yeah, I think if two 1sts + POJ/Smith were on the table, or was even something Dubas would be comfortable doing, Karlsson would've already been a Penguin for some time.

I think Dubas has a budget he's willing to spend on Karlsson, knowing Karlsson's down to Pittsburgh (reported front runner) and Carolina (reportedly not as interested, but will take him if he falls into their laps). I don't think Dubas bends and adds to his offer, and I'm fine with that.

Karlsson's great, he's probably the biggest single addition the team could've realistically made this summer. But I don't think he's worth a king's ransom when all he's adding is entertainment value, and maaaaaybe getting a team that's a perennial 1st round exit/borderline WC team to the 2nd round.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Two first round picks isn't a haul?
Eichel went for the same value depending on how you look at Tuch. Meier and Horvat went for less.

You can bring in plenty of good or very good players if you are willing to move unprotected 1st rounders. While Karlsson maybe has the highest upside there are also plenty of outcomes with injury, lack of fit with Letang and general dysfunction that this thing could bomb. It bombed with Burns evidently.
Not to mention if you move the 2024-2025 1sts you have very little in the way of assets to add to the team if we're actually contenders this year.

Instead of sweetening the pot with the 2025 1st just play chicken. Work with Rust about finding him a destination that gives us the assets to flip to SJS and lessens the retention. And for pete's sake make phone calls to other teams that are not San Jose about the package.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's probably Karlsson or nothing for the Pens, and the reason they're still treading water waiting for Grier to decide whether to accept Dubas' deal or hold on to his asset a la Chychrun. There's been reports by Friedman (Lebrun?) that Dubas has his eye on more than just Karlsson and he's looking to make an impact addition one way or another, but I cannot imagine who that'd be.

Maybe Lindholm? He's not a 3C, so you'd be shifting Geno to wing and moving one of Rakell, Rust, or Smith down from the top-6 to the 3rd line. I don't think Hanifin makes sense anymore with Graves and Petts as the LD. Hellebuyck was never realistic, and now the team's handcuffed themselves to Jarry for half a decade. No 3C really fits the bill as far as impact addition goes. Don't really think there are any marquee winger options out there in their budget who make sense.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think it's probably Karlsson or nothing for the Pens, and the reason they're still treading water waiting for Grier to decide whether to accept Dubas' deal or hold on to his asset a la Chychrun. There's been reports by Friedman (Lebrun?) that Dubas has his eye on more than just Karlsson and he's looking to make an impact addition one way or another, but I cannot imagine who that'd be.

Maybe Lindholm? He's not a 3C, so you'd be shifting Geno to wing and moving one of Rakell, Rust, or Smith down from the top-6 to the 3rd line. I don't think Hanifin makes sense anymore with Graves and Petts as the LD. Hellebuyck was never realistic, and now the team's handcuffed themselves to Jarry for half a decade. No 3C really fits the bill as far as impact addition goes. Don't really think there are any marquee winger options out there in their budget who make sense.

I mean if this team is as close as some posters claim they should be in it at the deadline. At that point there will be many more options and we can use our assets then. Also, we will know what the team actually needs. I also think if Yager, Pickering or even Poulin pops they could appreciate as trade pieces.

Dubas will not trade the 2025 1st. The offer is something like Petry, DeSmith, Ty Smith, 2024 1st, 3rd for EK at $3M retention. Now we are in the waiting game.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I would feel a lot more comfortable putting us as a playoff team if we acquired EK.

Between our age and the fact that Ottawa, Detroit, and Buffalo have young cores that should continue to get better...it makes it tough for us. And Washington and the Islanders could both conceivably contend as well. I see Montreal and Columbus as guaranteed non playoff teams, but even those teams should be a little bit better.

If we don't get EK and if this roster is what we go into the season with, I think we're an improved team but the east will be enough of a dogfight that we might just narrowly miss again.

The problem every year from here on out is our core is getting older and worse and the majority of the east is getting younger and better.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It's not that far fetched to say we'll literally stink on ice in 2-3 years. Each year since the '16 cup has been a noticeable regression from the previous year.

Last season missing the playoffs completely while remaining mostly healthy (core) should have been a wake up call. Losing in the play-in round a few years before that should have been as well, but ...

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Two first round picks isn't a haul?
Eichel went for the same value depending on how you look at Tuch. Meier and Horvat went for less.

Two 1sts for a star player with term is not a haul. Meier and Horvat didn't have term so don't count. Eichel got 1st, 2nd, a recent 1st with promise in Krebs, and a 50 point giant winger with a good contract who, crucially, was from Buffalo and liked the idea of being there in Tuch.

But that's kind of besides the point. All futures based returns for NHLers suck. Some suck more and some suck less, but there's zero reason for teams to do it unless they're either

a) Getting something else they want out of it - cap space, rid of a bad locker room guy, deliberately getting worse to rebuild
b) Can't get better due to expiring contracts or trade restrictions

If Arizona don't want to get worse, there's zero reason for them to entertain a non-stupid futures based offer for Keller.

You can bring in plenty of good or very good players if you are willing to move unprotected 1st rounders. While Karlsson maybe has the highest upside there are also plenty of outcomes with injury, lack of fit with Letang and general dysfunction that this thing could bomb. It bombed with Burns evidently.
Not to mention if you move the 2024-2025 1sts you have very little in the way of assets to add to the team if we're actually contenders this year.

Instead of sweetening the pot with the 2025 1st just play chicken. Work with Rust about finding him a destination that gives us the assets to flip to SJS and lessens the retention. And for pete's sake make phone calls to other teams that are not San Jose about the package.

First off, who said anything about the 1sts being unprotected?

Second, this team needs to get radically better if they're going to win a cup. I really, really, really doubt that there are plenty of players available, either as individuals or as packages, who can be had for the sort of package we're talking about for Karlsson who have that sort of radical improvement upside. That's because as pointed out, futures based packages suck. What teams are out there with the players we want and in a position where they have to take futures based packages?

And, once you've isolated them, which of them have players to sell where their players contracts don't limit the market? Because with an open market for guys, the likelihood someone can outbid us skyrockets.

Sure, I hope Dubas is exploring every angle. But as best I can tell, Erik Karlsson represents a unique combination of ability and limited availability. I really don't see many opportunities to get the same amount of talent for the same amount of assets elsewhere. It's Kessel all over again, assuming San Jose give in.

Don't get me wrong. I think it can easily go wrong. I don't want to throw the sun and moon at it. But this is the one gamechanging talent on the market within our price range I see. I'm okay with them getting a little aggressive on one of the few gambles out there that has a big enough jackpot. If we play chicken and don't get Karlsson, I don't see anything else worth the assets out there.

Also the idea that Rust is going to waive his NMC in his circumstances is so unlikely I don't see any point hoping for it but we've seen that conversation.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I would feel a lot more comfortable putting us as a playoff team if we acquired EK.

Between our age and the fact that Ottawa, Detroit, and Buffalo have young cores that should continue to get better...it makes it tough for us. And Washington and the Islanders could both conceivably contend as well. I see Montreal and Columbus as guaranteed non playoff teams, but even those teams should be a little bit better.

If we don't get EK and if this roster is what we go into the season with, I think we're an improved team but the east will be enough of a dogfight that we might just narrowly miss again.

The problem every year from here on out is our core is getting older and worse and the majority of the east is getting younger and better.
But if you give up your 2024 and 2025 1sts, you have nothing to add with at the deadline. You'll be counting on some huge breakout from either Pickering, Yager or maybe a DOC in an elevated role due to someone getting injured. And then you'd have to hope that other teams would want these guys.

We got Reilly Smith for a 3rd. If we're going full YOLO on our future assets couldn't we just build a killer forward group without taking on a big injury risk who may be totally redundant with Letang?

Reactions: Pancakes

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Two 1sts for a star player with term is not a haul. Meier and Horvat didn't have term so don't count. Eichel got 1st, 2nd, a recent 1st with promise in Krebs, and a 50 point giant winger with a good contract who, crucially, was from Buffalo and liked the idea of being there in Tuch.

But that's kind of besides the point. All futures based returns for NHLers suck. Some suck more and some suck less, but there's zero reason for teams to do it unless they're either

a) Getting something else they want out of it - cap space, rid of a bad locker room guy, deliberately getting worse to rebuild
b) Can't get better due to expiring contracts or trade restrictions

If Arizona don't want to get worse, there's zero reason for them to entertain a non-stupid futures based offer for Keller.

First off, who said anything about the 1sts being unprotected?

Second, this team needs to get radically better if they're going to win a cup. I really, really, really doubt that there are plenty of players available, either as individuals or as packages, who can be had for the sort of package we're talking about for Karlsson who have that sort of radical improvement upside. That's because as pointed out, futures based packages suck. What teams are out there with the players we want and in a position where they have to take futures based packages?

And, once you've isolated them, which of them have players to sell where their players contracts don't limit the market? Because with an open market for guys, the likelihood someone can outbid us skyrockets.

Sure, I hope Dubas is exploring every angle. But as best I can tell, Erik Karlsson represents a unique combination of ability and limited availability. I really don't see many opportunities to get the same amount of talent for the same amount of assets elsewhere. It's Kessel all over again, assuming San Jose give in.

Don't get me wrong. I think it can easily go wrong. I don't want to throw the sun and moon at it. But this is the one gamechanging talent on the market within our price range I see. I'm okay with them getting a little aggressive on one of the few gambles out there that has a big enough jackpot. If we play chicken and don't get Karlsson, I don't see anything else worth the assets out there.

Also the idea that Rust is going to waive his NMC in his circumstances is so unlikely I don't see any point hoping for it but we've seen that conversation.

All fair, but Lindholm doesn't have term either.

He's a UFA after this year. Or do I have the wrong Lindholm?
I don't think Karlsson is Kessel redux because the core is worse than it was then, and for all of Kessel's flaws his availability was never a question.

If the pick protections are in the realm of "Top 10 Protected 2025 1st which then converts to a 2025 2nd" then sure. If the protections are "Top 10 Protected 2025 1st which then converts to an unprotected 2026 1st" then noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. o.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
But if you give up your 2024 and 2025 1sts, you have nothing to add with at the deadline. You'll be counting on some huge breakout from either Pickering, Yager or maybe a DOC in an elevated role due to someone getting injured. And then you'd have to hope that other teams would want these guys.

We got Reilly Smith for a 3rd. If we're going full YOLO on our future assets couldn't we just build a killer forward group without taking on a big injury risk who may be totally redundant with Letang?
I do agree that having to give up both firsts for EK would suck. Because if we get EK we would ideally be a team that is trying to make a deep playoff run and would therefore want to use assets at the deadline to further improve the team.

Of course, if we do get EK we will have almost no cap space to make deadline moves anyways though. So maybe not as big an issue as we think. But there's always ways to create more space. We thought Hextall couldn't do it last year and even he managed to unload the likes of Kapanen and McGinn.

I'm confident that Dubas could create deadline space if needed.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I do agree that having to give up both firsts for EK would suck. Because if we get EK we would ideally be a team that is trying to make a deep playoff run and would therefore want to use assets at the deadline to further improve the team.

Of course, if we do get EK we will have almost no cap space to make deadline moves anyways though. So maybe not as big an issue as we think. But there's always ways to create more space. We thought Hextall couldn't do it last year and even he managed to unload the likes of Kapanen and McGinn.

I'm confident that Dubas could create deadline space if needed.

I was pleasantly surprised at the value Kappy, McGinn and Blueger had. Hated what they did with the cap space ;)

Reactions: Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
All fair, but Lindholm doesn't have term either.

He's a UFA after this year. Or do I have the wrong Lindholm?
I don't think Karlsson is Kessel redux because the core is worse than it was then, and for all of Kessel's flaws his availability was never a question.

If the pick protections are in the realm of "Top 10 Protected 2025 1st which then converts to a 2025 2nd" then sure. If the protections are "Top 10 Protected 2025 1st which then converts to an unprotected 2026 1st" then noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. o.

No, right Lindholm. Lindholm has term if he's willing to sign a contract with his new team immediately, and I think that would have to happen if any team is going to pay what Calgary probably wants. I mean, why would they move him for rental prices now when they want to sign him and can move him for rental prices later if they can't?

And Karlsson is Kessel in terms of talent, that's my point. Is he enough to lift the team as is? I don't know, but if we think a guy with his talent level isn't useful to them, we might as well give up. Is it a gamble to add him at this point? Yeah, but we've already taken the gamble. Why not put enough money on the table to have a chance of it coming good? It's not like we're going to lose a ton for doing so. Probable worst is we slow the rebuild a little. Sure there's a chance you lose out on a generational lottery pick (they're already making noises about Gavin McKenna in 2026...) but they're really low unless the team gets very stupid. If you're bad enough in 2025 it looks like you'll be back there in 2026, you just let the pick go unless it's a lotto pick, and picking in the lotto two years running is pretty unlikely.

The rebuild will take long enough that losing one high pick is almost borderline irrelevant. There will be more. Far too many at a guess.

Also Karlsson's availability has been decent these last three seasons. Only missed a chunk of time in one out of the three.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Lindholm would be an awesome get but we really shouldn’t be looking into him for another 6-7 years.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Just because I’m missing good hockey and a team that can finish, and we haven’t seen that in Pittsburgh in a few years lol…goals are nice to watch…

Doc(not our shitty DOC) gets a lot of flack but I’ll remember his call on the Bonino OT Caps series ending goal for the rest of my life. Chills every time.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No, right Lindholm. Lindholm has term if he's willing to sign a contract with his new team immediately, and I think that would have to happen if any team is going to pay what Calgary probably wants. I mean, why would they move him for rental prices now when they want to sign him and can move him for rental prices later if they can't?

And Karlsson is Kessel in terms of talent, that's my point. Is he enough to lift the team as is? I don't know, but if we think a guy with his talent level isn't useful to them, we might as well give up. Is it a gamble to add him at this point? Yeah, but we've already taken the gamble. Why not put enough money on the table to have a chance of it coming good? It's not like we're going to lose a ton for doing so. Probable worst is we slow the rebuild a little. Sure there's a chance you lose out on a generational lottery pick (they're already making noises about Gavin McKenna in 2026...) but they're really low unless the team gets very stupid. If you're bad enough in 2025 it looks like you'll be back there in 2026, you just let the pick go unless it's a lotto pick, and picking in the lotto two years running is pretty unlikely.

The rebuild will take long enough that losing one high pick is almost borderline irrelevant. There will be more. Far too many at a guess.

Also Karlsson's availability has been decent these last three seasons. Only missed a chunk of time in one out of the three.

I've gone Empo on the trade board and negotiating.

Karlsson (no retention), NJ 2024 2nd which could become a 1st but not likely, Barabanov for DeSmith, Granlund, Petry, Yager and 2024 1st.

Not that any of this matters. I guess we'd be over the cap in getting Barabanov but he seems good. LTIR Carter or do something with Ruutta I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad