Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My guess at this point is that San Jose doesn't want to retain more than about 20% (so $2 million), so there needs to be a 3rd team to eat another $2 million or so to get this deal to work.

The interesting thing is that if San Jose is trading Karlsson at $9.5 million, I don't think they're going to get that much back for him. I feel like the assets the Penguins will end up paying for EK are going to be split between the third team retaining $2 million and San Jose, which is going to make the return look really poor for San Jose.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
My guess at this point is that San Jose doesn't want to retain more than about 20% (so $2 million), so there needs to be a 3rd team to eat another $2 million or so to get this deal to work.

The interesting thing is that if San Jose is trading Karlsson at $9.5 million, I don't think they're going to get that much back for him. I feel like the assets the Penguins will end up paying for EK are going to be split between the third team retaining $2 million and San Jose, which is going to make the return look really poor for San Jose.

Tradeboard sharks fans who expect multiple firsts, a dman and one of Pickering or Yager gonna be really salty

Reactions: DRAGO 18

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Maybe if we would of bought out Granlund like any other GM would of and signed a cheap Goalie and told Jarry to F off like any other GM would of then maybe we could of made this deal.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe if we would of bought out Granlund like any other GM would of and signed a cheap Goalie and told Jarry to F off like any other GM would of then maybe we could of made this deal.

How would that have made sense with the roster? They'd still have Petry that they'd need to move.

The Karlsson trade is entirely dependent on the Penguins trading Petry, that's it. If they can't move Petry out, they can't bring in Karlsson.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
How would that have made sense with the roster? They'd still have Petry that they'd need to move.

The Karlsson trade is entirely dependent on the Penguins trading Petry, that's it. If they can't move Petry out, they can't bring in Karlsson.

We know Petry isn't going to SJ (nobody with a NTC would waive for them) but IF the Sharks take Granlund off our hands they why do the Pens "need" to move Petry?

They *should* move him out in that case because we don't need Petry (and his cap hit) around along with EK, but doesn't the shitcanning of Granlund with appropriate retention by SJ on EK make it work cap-wise?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
They still can buyout Granlund if they need to

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I can't believe that you idiots are wasting the summer away waiting for a trade that going to take forever to complete (if it even happens at all this offseason). Get outside and enjoy yourself. This team is past its expiration date so whether the trade happens or not it's not going to make a damn difference on whether we're a contender or not.

• Love
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can't believe that you idiots are wasting the summer away waiting for a trade that going to take forever to complete (if it even happens at all this offseason). Get outside and enjoy yourself. This team is past its expiration date so whether the trade happens or not it's not going to make a damn difference on whether we're a contender or not.

It's 114 degrees out.

We know Petry isn't going to SJ (nobody with a NTC would waive for them) but IF the Sharks take Granlund off our hands they why do the Pens "need" to move Petry?

They *should* move him out in that case because we don't need Petry (and his cap hit) around along with EK, but doesn't the shitcanning of Granlund with appropriate retention by SJ on EK make it work cap-wise?

Most likely not.

That isn't true. We can easily afford Karlsson by moving out Granlund, Rutta, and Desmith. And I feel like San Jose would be more interested in a package of Granlund and Rutta because those are easier to flip than Petry.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I have a phone.

• Haha
Reactions: Lustaf

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Granlund is 5AAV, EK65@50% retention is 5.75AAV.

Zero chance SJ retains @ 50%. My thought is the most they are willing to retain is between 20-26%. Basically 2.3 to 3 mil. But I believe the underlining issue is that because they retained on Burns, and then if they retain on EK, they will only have one retention spot left for the next 2 seasons.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Man posts online to tell others to stop posting online has to have been an onion headline at some point.

If Carolina will only acquire Karlsson if it’s a steal, seems like its either going to be us getting him or SJ keeping him.

Reactions: tom_servo

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Go cleanup your shithole town. Especially the hoodrats next to your practice arena.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Granlund is 5AAV, EK65@50% retention is 5.75AAV.

Zero chance SJ retains @ 50%. My thought is the most they are willing to retain is between 20-26%. Basically 2.3 to 3 mil. But I believe the underlining issue is that because they retained on Burns, and then if they retain on EK, they will only have one retention spot left for the next 2 seasons.

Yeah, big issue.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I've taken a hiatus from social media including Reddit so this thread is all I have now.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I imagine the thing(s) holding up the EK trade are Grier absolutely refusing to budge on salary retained--I don't think he's really asking for a colossal haul *unless* he's forced to retain a huge chunk of salary, then he'll ask for that kind's ransom, imo--and the fact that the Pens need to find a landing place for Petry because it makes no sense to keep him as a bottom pairing blueliner, and his salary is going to go a long way toward off-setting what EK's final cap hit is going to be after the number SJ is going to be comfortable with retaining; which I imagine will probably be like $8.5-9 million.

I think Dubas has tabled his offer, Grier is trying to hold fast when it comes to a number he won't exceed retention-wise, as well as waiting to see if Carolina will up their offer to be competitive, or beat, what Pittsburgh has offered.

If I had to guess, I think it'll either be EK going to Pittsburgh once Grier relents, knowing he can't really get any more suitors due to EK's NTC and he doesn't want to risk cratering EK's value with a potentially bad season or injury. The other conclusion is, I think, Grier just holding on to EK and rolling the dice that he'll find more options as time goes on, and hoping EK doesn't get hurt or have a massive drop off in play/production.

It's annoying. I wish it'd just get done with one way or another; Grier trading him here, or the Pens breaking off talks and looking to make changes elsewhere. But I'm just a dumb fan who doesn't know what the f*** is going on. :laugh:

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Maybe if we would have bought out Granlund like any other GM would have and signed a cheap Goalie and told Jarry to F off like any other GM would have then maybe we could have made this deal.
Buying out Granlund is an emergency option, not plan A. Granlund had 41 points last year and 64 the year prior. Many players don’t always fit in when traded at the deadline. Granlund was traded to a sinking ship that was last years Penguins. Granlund is not Carter or Jack Johnson.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't be surprised if the deal the Sharks backed out on with the Penguins on July 1st had a significant amount of salary retention on Karlsson that San Jose's owners just wouldn't approve of. Now it's just in a holding pattern where both sides are saying "if you want this deal to go down, go find someone else to make the money work out".

If San Jose is only retaining $2 million on Karlsson, I'd expect the deal to look something like:

-Pittsburgh gets Karlsson at $7.5 million
-Team B gets Pittsburgh's 2025 1st while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
-San Jose gets Petry, Smith and a 2024 1st while retaining $2 million on Karlsson

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I think i did learn after the Iginla one.. it's not worth staying awake or caring. The news will hit and there will be PLENTY of time to talk about it. I don't watch drafts. I don't watch trade deadline anymore. I don't watch UFA day. Life is just too short. But news cycles come/go so quick that there is actually a lot of time to talk about it.

This current era people are so anxious to be the first to report/react. It's so weird to me. It is definitely natural to the world right now and I got caught up in it before, too. It's just so weird.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if the deal the Sharks backed out on with the Penguins on July 1st had a significant amount of salary retention on Karlsson that San Jose's owners just wouldn't approve of. Now it's just in a holding pattern where both sides are saying "if you want this deal to go down, go find someone else to make the money work out".

If San Jose is only retaining $2 million on Karlsson, I'd expect the deal to look something like:

-Pittsburgh gets Karlsson at $7.5 million
-Team B gets Pittsburgh's 2025 1st while retaining $2 million on Karlsson
-San Jose gets Petry, Smith and a 2024 1st while retaining $2 million on Karlsson

I don’t see Penguins giving up two firsts unless they are getting draft picks back.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I imagine the thing(s) holding up the EK trade are Grier absolutely refusing to budge on salary retained--I don't think he's really asking for a colossal haul *unless* he's forced to retain a huge chunk of salary, then he'll ask for that kind's ransom, imo--and the fact that the Pens need to find a landing place for Petry because it makes no sense to keep him as a bottom pairing blueliner, and his salary is going to go a long way toward off-setting what EK's final cap hit is going to be after the number SJ is going to be comfortable with retaining; which I imagine will probably be like $8.5-9 million.

I think Dubas has tabled his offer, Grier is trying to hold fast when it comes to a number he won't exceed retention-wise, as well as waiting to see if Carolina will up their offer to be competitive, or beat, what Pittsburgh has offered.

If I had to guess, I think it'll either be EK going to Pittsburgh once Grier relents, knowing he can't really get any more suitors due to EK's NTC and he doesn't want to risk cratering EK's value with a potentially bad season or injury. The other conclusion is, I think, Grier just holding on to EK and rolling the dice that he'll find more options as time goes on, and hoping EK doesn't get hurt or have a massive drop off in play/production.

It's annoying. I wish it'd just get done with one way or another; Grier trading him here, or the Pens breaking off talks and looking to make changes elsewhere. But I'm just a dumb fan who doesn't know what the f*** is going on. :laugh:
Its been reported that Sharks ownership is involved in the conversations. Their owner is not keen on paying large amounts of money for a player to play for someone else.

My guess is Grier has a decent assists with a lot of retention or some assists with some retention. He wants the best of both worlds and Dubas has told him no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad