Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Supposedly Emrick would wolf down several bags of popcorn during the games. Seems like a great guy that just loves the game.
Met Emrick probably a dozen times as a little kid going to Devils games, to the point where he would recognize my family later. One of the most genuinely nice people I've ever met, not just in the industry, but in general. First time I met him, I sheepishly walked up during intermission and he brought me in and showed me around the booth, and without asking, gave me his '95 Cup ring to hold/wear. Super cool experience for 12 year old me.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
French Toast > Waffles > Pancakes. I never understood why people get so excited about pancakes. The best French Toast is a divine experience. Waffles allow for some many creative options and toppings. Pancakes just end up a sad, soggy mess. French Toast all day

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I remember blowing a 3-0 lead after taking a third straight delay of game. People here were thinking done in 7 before that Bonino goal.

That series, Lightning series, next Caps series, Sens series. Those runs were nearly stopped in their tracks multiple times.
Blew the 3-0 lead and the. beagle had that crazy stick save in OT. Most teams that’d be a huge momentum shift and they probably end up losing. The 2016 team was just f***ing relentless though.

Reactions: Rave7215

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Blew the 3-0 lead and the. beagle had that crazy stick save in OT. Most teams that’d be a huge momentum shift and they probably end up losing. The 2016 team was just f***ing relentless though.
That team was special. It had an energy and feel about them that was remarkable. They were NEVER out of a game. I miss going to those games

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I must say, something is missing with regards to the reported trade packages that SJ has been allegedly rejecting.

Something is amiss here. As someone already brought up earlier, if Dubas is freely going to be trading away 2024 and 2025 firsts (OK, top-5 protected and conditional second that may become a first, but still), then why was he so keen on keeping No. 14 overall? That does not make a whole lot of sense. Also, IF what Josh Yohe reported is accurate, and SJ rejected a package of Petry, Ty Smith, Poulin, a top-5 protected first-round draft pick in 2024 and a conditional second-round draft pick in 2025 (which can become a first), then let's just collectively wipe our brow and thank the Sharks for not taking that offer!

That deal is awful for the Penguins. Karlsson's contract had what, 30% retention? We still had to do something about Granlund; we still had to do something about DeSmith, and we would have traded four future assets. Horrible deal.

I love Erik Karlsson, and I want him to be patrolling our blueline in 2023-24. But this does not make any sense whatsoever. To me, it is clear as day that Sharks ownership is heavily involved in this deal. So Dubas needs to look to make deals with other teams to try to alleviate some of the contracts that are holding things up with Karlsson. For example, would either Anaheim or Chicago accept the following trade:

To the Ducks and 'Hawks - Casey DeSmith and Jeff Petry
To the Penguins - future considerations

If a deal like that could happen, then you take some of SJ's leverage away. Because then you can take on all of Karlsson's cap hit and reduce the return. You could send them Granlund and Pettersson, for example. That is more appealing to the Sharks. Also, one thing we have not really discussed is moving O'Connor in this trade. I know he could be the key to a buyout, but if we have to take him to arbitration in the first place, then that means he could be wanting more money (more importantly, more of a cap hit) than the team needs to pay at this point. If he is asking for more than Poulin's cap hit, then wouldn't trading O'Connor make more sense? San Jose probably values this player, too. I think O'Connor might be making a mistake here, assuming he likes Pittsburgh and wants to play for the Penguins. Because the best way for him to crack the roster this year is if he was making $775,000. If he takes the Ty Smith deal, he becomes infinitely more valuable to the team, imo. But as it stands right now, he is trade fodder.

So for me, it is better to take on all of Karlsson's cap hit, find a taker for at least Petry or Granlund so as to not be forced to include them in the SJ deal, and make the deal appealing enough that SJ would not want too many future assets. Now, many here have mentioned the depth issue. Some suggest we need to keep as many current assets and trade futures in this deal. I disagree. Dubas has been adding depth, which is why he went over the cap in free agency almost immediately. AND, is it not time for this franchise to see what certain guys can do? Yes, I have suggested trading O'Connor but if he agrees to a cheap deal he is one of those guys who can be a big help on the third line. But he has to come cheaply, or else we should probably give Poulin a look. This same thought works for the blueline, too. Smith and Joseph are cheap NHL players. We NEED those types. Yes, trading someone like Pettersson may hurt initially, but we need to know what we have in Joseph and Smith. And then beyond those two, we have Pickering, Belliveau and Pieniniemi. The LD position is a strength. So for me, moving one of the very few players we have who has trade value and has a contract that is moveable, big enough to be included in a Karlsson deal, appealing to SJ (presumably) and also part of the solution to cap savings for us makes a ton of sense. Everybody here is including Smith and/or Joseph in a Karlsson deal, but for me when you include a Karlsson cap hit (regardless of whether it is in full, 10%, 20% or 30% retention), you need the counter-balance of cheap blueline contracts who can help the team. That last part is important because Chad Ruhwedel does nothing for this team. Joseph and Smith are actually valuable to the Penguins. I would argue even more valuable to the Penguins than being included in this trade.

My last point is about the draft picks. It seems everybody is focusing on the 2024 and 2025 picks. Dubas should be paying it forward, imo. Offer SJ 2026 or 2027 picks. Why? Because the perception around the league is that the Penguins are going to be awful 2-3 years down the line. And for all we know at this time, it may ring true. But we have now kept our first-rounder two years in a row. If Dubas could keep two more firsts, and keep as many picks in each of the next two years as possible, then he might be able to prop up the prospect pool enough to accelerate the post-superstar rebuild. Because if he needs to make a trade for the team's next top dog, he will need prospects to pull it off. Think Jack Eichel. Trading top-5 protected firsts in either '24 or '25 is not good enough, because that does not protect you from being mediocre and losing these valuable picks anyway! And mediocrity is really what kills sports franchises more than anything else.

What is the fear of paying the future assets forward? Crosby retiring? Are we really worried about that? Sid is not going to call it a career before Malkin and Letang. Anything is possible, and never say never, but I just don't see how both 87 and 71 are not around for the duration of Letang's deal. That is the key year for me. That, in my mind, represents the true end of this era. After Letang's deal is done, I suspect the trio might call it quits at the same time. Sure, health will probably determine their end of days in the NHL (as in life). But if any or all are done before Letang's deal expires, then you pivot and deal with it. Otherwise, Dubas should stick to the plan.

Need I remind everyone what that plan is: keep contending and pursuing playoff success, while at the same time building up the future assets so that the post-superstar era can be relative smoother than what we are currently staring at.

If we trade Karlsson for four future assets, then we will fail to do the latter.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
French Toast > Waffles > Pancakes. I never understood why people get so excited about pancakes. The best French Toast is a divine experience. Waffles allow for some many creative options and toppings. Pancakes just end up a sad, soggy mess. French Toast all day

Waffles if we're forced flour first thing in the morning. I agree that pancakes are over-hyped and frankly not worth trading coffee and a good quiet stare over to go sit down and eat a plate of mushy substance. It's like being offered some beautiful crispy hash browns (waffles) and choosing mashed instead (pancake).

I will say I also never saw the appeal in french toast. Just not my thing.

I have to go with eggs of just about any kind - benedict preferably, with a good breakfast meat of any kind.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think part of the hold-up in moving assets like Granlund and Petry and Carter is that the team does not believe they are a problem and does not want to move them.

"I think it's easy for you to pick on those guys. Those guys do their jobs well and they give our club the best chance to win. Cartsy, last I checked, is one of the top faceoff guys in the league. Petry is a solid defender who does a lot of things that don't look good on a scoresheet and I think that gets taken for granted sometimes. ....and yeah Grans hasn't been here that long but has shown in prior roles how valuable he can be to a club."

I just think, right now, our group needs to find ways to win. I have no idea about these so called backbreaking goals being let in game after game or losing leads 35 seconds after finding them - but I do know about the [magical] 'right way' - let me tell you about this right way for a minute...

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Karlsson watch still on?

pDUEmB.gif

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
We should just go big and get Karlsson at full cap hit and Couture at 50%.

You offset that salary cap with Granlund, Petry, Desmith and Carter going in the trade.

Give them something like 1st, 2nd, Pickering, Poulin, Smith and maybe another pick or two.

Then you have a really good 3C who can step up if needed, pushes Eller to 4C.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think part of the hold-up in moving assets like Granlund and Petry and Carter is that the team does not believe they are a problem and does not want to move them.

The team knows Carter is a problem, since we acquired a guy to push Carter's TOI to 5-7 minutes a night.
Petry isn't a problem. He just becomes a problem if you get Karlsson from a salary perspective.
Granlund...yeah, I guess I worry. But he is almost certainly part of the Karlsson package or an eventual buyout if they land Karlsson. No way to make the math work otherwise.

Reactions: Giskard

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
From the article posted a few pages ago:

To Pittsburgh Penguins:
Erik Karlsson
Sharks retain $4.5 million per season for the remaining four years of Karlsson’s contract (40 percent)
To San Jose Sharks:
Jeff Petry
Penguins’ 2024 first-round pick (top-5 protected)
Ty Smith
Sam Poulin
Penguins’ 2025 second-round pick (will upgrade to first-round pick if the Pittsburgh wins either the 2024 or 2025 Stanley Cup, and Karlsson plays at least half of the playoff games in the championship-winning run)

I think this is pretty reasonable honestly :dunno:. For the Pens, Petry would be the natural cap casualty. A 1st is a given. Smith (or POJ) is redundant. Poulin is nothing. And a 2nd. If the Pens win a Cup in the next 2 years, I'd gladly bump that to a 1st. Buyout Granland, sign DOC for under a $1M, trade CDS, and you have a full roster with over $1M in cap space.

If Sharks ownership isn't willing to eat that much of the contract, they could also take on Granlund instead of the Pens buying him out and only retain $3.5M. Prop him up on their top 6 and top PP and could maybe even flip him for another asset. Same with Petry.

If Sharks ownership isn't willing to eat even that much, then a deal's not getting done IMO. Getting a 3rd team to retain for 4 years is not going to be easy. If a team's willing, it's going to cost a lot and that would eat into the Sharks return to the point it's basically a pure cap dump. Probably not a good look for Sharks ownership either.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From the article posted a few pages ago:

To Pittsburgh Penguins:
Erik Karlsson
Sharks retain $4.5 million per season for the remaining four years of Karlsson’s contract (40 percent)
To San Jose Sharks:
Jeff Petry
Penguins’ 2024 first-round pick (top-5 protected)
Ty Smith
Sam Poulin
Penguins’ 2025 second-round pick (will upgrade to first-round pick if the Pittsburgh wins either the 2024 or 2025 Stanley Cup, and Karlsson plays at least half of the playoff games in the championship-winning run)

I think this is pretty reasonable honestly :dunno:. For the Pens, Petry would be the natural cap casualty. A 1st is a given. Smith (or POJ) is redundant. Poulin is nothing. And a 2nd. If the Pens win a Cup in the next 2 years, I'd gladly bump that to a 1st. Buyout Granland, sign DOC for under a $1M, trade CDS, and you have a full roster with over $1M in cap space.

If Sharks ownership isn't willing to eat that much of the contract, they could also take on Granlund instead of the Pens buying him out and only retain $3.5M. Prop him up on their top 6 and top PP and could maybe even flip him for another asset. Same with Petry.

If Sharks ownership isn't willing to eat even that much, then a deal's not getting done IMO. Getting a 3rd team to retain for 4 years is not going to be easy. If a team's willing, it's going to cost a lot and that would eat into the Sharks return to the point it's basically a pure cap dump. Probably not a good look for Sharks ownership either.
From the Sharks perspective though, taking on Petry’s contract and retaining that much of EK’s doesn’t save them any money the next two years and that’s part of the issue…assuming Petry is willing to go to SJ, the Sharks won’t retain that much on EK.…otherwise, a third team would have to take on Petry or retain part of his contract.…it won’t be easy…Dubas tried to trade Petry leading up to the draft and there were no takers…would take a significant asset to do so…this is the main reason I think a EK deal is dead..

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I must respond. Pancakes, even waffles, are often delicious. But the difference between good and average candidates just isn't that huge. Now, French toast is a different animal altogether. Choice of bread is paramount. High density, capable of massive liquid absorption while maintaining integrity is absolutely critical. A fresh challah is exactly what you f***ing want here. Cut thick, too. Two inch slices is not pushing it too far. Don't skimp on finding quality nutmeg, and get decent orange zest, no reason to be lazy, we're talking French toast. And creme. Not 2%, not half&half, f*** that. And, of course. Brandy. Good brandy. Technique. Brown, soft, but NOT soggy. Ask your Canuck friends for maple syrup suggestions. Now we are talking, and we have a food of delicious complexity that trumps all others if prepared with love, devotion and attention to detail.
can i come over for breakfast? you know your my favorite:heart:

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I love that you can get creative with pancakes, even with French toast…but a waffle is, like, pretty much a waffle…they’re so boring…I don’t know how anyone can get excited about them…it’s like getting excited about Mike Sullivan hockey…

Mike Sullivan is the Waffle of breakfast foods:laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
My prediction: This team will suffer from the same problems (a bad bottom 6) unless 1 of Carter or Granlund are removed

If that doesn't happen, Dubas' first offseason is middling at best

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Turned off my phone and headed out to the lake for a long weekend and this shit is still stalled huh?

Also breakfast breads are all kinda bad. You can tell because of the sheer amount of sugar slop people have to pour on them to make them edible. Make an omelet and your choice of breakfast meats and wash it all down with an eye opener like a real adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad