Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Poehling must have a serious health issue because it's weird to not qualify him otherwise.

I liked him ok, but he's a very replaceable player. So whatever.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it hard to believe that Dubas can't convince any of the non-qualified RFAs to sign with the Penguins, considering how bad their depth is and how much opportunity they'd get in the Penguins bottom-6.

You should be able to convince one of McLeod, Geekie or Steel to sign to be a 3C.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Poehling had 14 points in 53 games, which is almost identical production to Julien Gauthier who wasn't qualified by the Senators.

Even if he's healthy, I don't think he's much of a loss. You can get his performance out of a league minimum UFA without having to worry about arbitration.

Just go sign Michael McLeod to replace Poehling, who was also not qualified today by New Jersey and would be an improvement on Poehling.
Your looking at the stat sheet as a whole and that's fine but if you break it down to where he was playing more significant mins with a steady line he was looking much better and that was mainly playing with nothings. I think if you get him some talent you would have had a better idea of who he was.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I find it hard to believe that Dubas can't convince any of the non-qualified RFAs to sign with the Penguins, considering how bad their depth is and how much opportunity they'd get in the Penguins bottom-6.

You should be able to convince one of McLeod, Geekie or Steel to sign to be a 3C.
I hope we can bring in Fischer.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Dude could have put up 75 pts last year. If there is a big health issue, no reason to keep him around.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
*you can hope.

There's a slew of unqualified RFAs and the Pens can afford to pay decent prices for them.

For once I feel confident enough to come down off of the fence and say that if the Pens want to pick up some of these guys, they will.

Although maybe they'll just stock up with dirt cheap UFAs. Or bring Poehling back for 800k or so.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There's a slew of unqualified RFAs and the Pens can afford to pay decent prices for them.

For once I feel confident enough to come down off of the fence and say that if the Pens want to pick up some of these guys, they will.

Although maybe they'll just stock up with dirt cheap UFAs. Or bring Poehling back for 800k or so.

I guess my point is more if you are a young player and you want to take a cheap one year deal why are you coming here?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Your looking at the stat sheet as a whole and that's fine but if you break it down to where he was playing more significant mins with a steady line he was looking much better and that was mainly playing with nothings. I think if you get him some talent you would have had a better idea of who he was.
I liked parts of his game. The speed and defensive ability mainly.

Didn't like his lack of vision and I didn't feel like he was all that great at controlling/possessing the puck.

Would have preferred to keep him despite that but not a huge loss imo.

I guess my point is more if you are a young player and you want to take a cheap one year deal why are you coming here?
Opportunity? Our bottom six is trash, so there's spots to win. And no prospects really of note to compete with.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Even if Poehling was hurt doesn't that give you an even easier time getting him on a cheap contract.

Just seems like a waste of an asset for a team with so few and cap space.

not really. he has to sign it.

Also who cares lol. You only have so many contract spots. Give them to guys who can actually play.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Opportunity? Our bottom six is trash, so there's spots to win. And no prospects really of note to compete with.

Maybe. You could've argued that a few times over the last few years.

We never got the big fishes. Heinen is really the only player that ever worked out in that regard.

not really. he has to sign it.

Also who cares lol. You only have so many contract spots. Give them to guys who can actually play.

His QO was sub 800k.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I liked parts of his game. The speed and defensive ability mainly.

Didn't like his lack of vision and I didn't feel like he was all that great at controlling/possessing the puck.

Would have preferred to keep him despite that but not a huge loss imo.

Let's see what we do, I would have liked to as well but I am guessing there has to be some issues with him pertaining to injuries.

Reactions: Pancakes

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Do you really think players view Sullivan the way we do? They see a bottom 6 with 4 openings in it and not much of a prospect pool to compete with.

xxx - Granlund - xxx
xxx - Carter - xxx

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Not really at least 15 other RFA's just hit the block I would take over him,
Right but there is no guarantee they will sign here where you controlled Poehling.

I mean Poehling isn’t anything special but he had size, speed, and youth. All things we lack.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

We never got the big fishes. Heinen is really the only player that ever worked out in that regard.
Who wouldn't want the opportunity to play with Jeff Carter?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Do you really think players view Sullivan the way we do? They see a bottom 6 with 4 openings in it and not much of a prospect pool to compete with.

xxx - Granlund - xxx
xxx - Carter - xxx

And if you can play with that or go to Tampa, Colorado, Toronto, New Jersey, etc. Why are you coming here?

The idea would be to pull a Bunting and play in a scenario where you can force your way into the top six. I don't know if we have that here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Mark Jankowski was a big fish if he'd worked out. But team generally seems to prefer older guys.

Besides, he then got outplayed by some undrafted dude with less than 60 games, which is possibly an object lesson in the value of these dudes.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

His QO was sub 800k.

And if he's injured and out for a year, you lose that contract spot. He obviously had problems last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad