Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Tatar still with 20 goals, 28 assists last year. Only 4 of those 48 points on the PP. +41.
I wonder what the price tag is.
I like Nyquist as a better option because he and Smith on the PK would be deadly lol.

I wouldn't even mind a Blueger reunion at like 1 million. Very good 4C when healthy.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
In 52 playoff games, Tatar has 3 goals and 5 assists at 5v5.

There is quite possibly no player in the NHL with as pronounced a difference between regular season and playoff play.
And none of that means anything. The larger samples show how good he is.

I don't understand why people take random 7 game samples over many years, as more important information on their play.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Random small 7 game samples from years ago, have no indication on future play. Let's be serious.
I mean he had 7 cracks at playoffs. He ghosted in 6 of them.
This playoffs 1 goal in 12 games. No assists. -7.
I'm not worried about that though. Right now I have us at under 50% chance of getting in, and we need this type of player to get in, assuming the AAV is as low as I expect.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I mean he had 7 cracks at playoffs. He ghosted in 6 of them.
I'm not worried about that though. Right now I have us at under 50% chance of getting in, and we need this type of player to get in, assuming the AAV is as low as I expect.
I mean, playoff production for top 9 forwards is mostly random and a factor of how good your team is, and how they use you.

Playoff production goes up and down for almost every player aside from the elite. It's all random. Just get good players, don't worry about their past unlucky playoff performances. It's random luck for the most part.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And none of that means anything. The larger samples show how good he is.

I don't understand why people take random 7 game samples over many years, as more important information on their play.

It's 52 games. 600 plus minutes. It's a pretty large sample.

He goes missing so much Montreal HSed him for 15 games of their final run.

Like fair enough if you disagree and agree to leave it there, because there's no way I'm changing my mind so there's not much point in discussion, but this isn't a couple of random samples.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I mean, playoff production for top 9 forwards is mostly random and a factor of how good your team is, and how they use you.

Playoff production goes up and down for almost every player aside from the elite. It's all random. Just get good players, don't worry about their past unlucky playoff performances. It's random luck for the most part.
1688157140477.png

This does not look random to me. This is a pattern...one you should expect moving forward.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tatar is a regularly trash playoff performer that wouldn't fit well with what the Penguins already have anyway. Pass.

You need guys like Connor Brown for your 3rd line, not more skilled offensive wingers. They already have a problem with Granlund on that line. I would obviously much rather have Tatar than Granlund on that line, because Tatar is a strong play driver, but he doesn't fit the mold of how Sullivan will use that line at all.

If you could tell Granlund to piss off and give Tatar a 1 year, $3 million deal, I'd be totally good with that. But as long as Granlund is here, you need to build the 3rd line that both fits how Sullivan will use the line plus accounts for Granlund's weaknesses.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No it isn't.

Kostin (11 G 10 A 21 PTs .37 PPG) -Steel (10 G 18 A 28PTS .43 PPG) - Brown (did not play)
O'Connor (5G 6A 11 pts .24 PPG) - Poehling ( 7G 7A .14 PTs .26 PPG) - Fischer (13G 14A 27 PTS .34 PPG)

Heinen (8 goals 14 assists 22 PTS .34 PPG) - Carter (13 G 16 A 29 PTS .37 PPG) - Kapanen (15 G 19 A 34 PTs .51 PG)
Poehling ( 7G 7A .14 PTs .26 PPG) - Blueger (4G 12A .25 PPG)- McGinn (12 G 7 A 19 PTS .26 PPG)

Looks pretty much identical with what we ran to start last year only Steel and Kostin get elevated PPGs because of low games played. They also spent time in the top six of their respective teams and more than half of Steel's production came with Kaprizov and Zucc on his wings.

I like Connor Brown, but we can't go Kostin and Steel and expect them to carry a third line.

Fischer as well is someone you need to play in a really strong support role.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Wonder if we'll see any free agents do Marcus Pettersson specials.

I wonder if you see Bunting or Bertuzzi take a cheap deal with a contender to pump their value.

Probably a dumb idea for them, but curious. I think it's probably the next class you see take the one year deals. Players like Kerfoot, Wood, Yamamoto, Domi, Gurianov, etc.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder if you see Bunting or Bertuzzi take a cheap deal with a contender to pump their value.

Probably a dumb idea for them, but curious. I think it's probably the next class you see take the one year deals. Players like Kerfoot, Wood, Yamamoto, Domi, Gurianov, etc.

Yeah I think Bunting and Bertuzzi will get enough not to.

I think maybe some of the bigger more offensively minded fish do one years too. Remember you said Tarasenko. I can see Duchene doing one too.

Boy, I wish we had another 4.1m worth of cap and another forward slot with which to play with.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Give me Domi and Wood and I'll be happy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yeah I think Bunting and Bertuzzi will get enough not to.

I think maybe some of the bigger more offensively minded fish do one years too. Remember you said Tarasenko. I can see Duchene doing one too.

Boy, I wish we had another 4.1m worth of cap and another forward slot with which to play with.

Tarasenko will be interesting. Duchene too. Knowing Duchene enough I think he takes a deal with a team close to Nashville because he specifically worked his system to get there.

Give me Domi and Wood and I'll be happy

1688159376713.png

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Tarasenko will be interesting. Duchene too. Knowing Duchene enough I think he takes a deal with a team close to Nashville because he specifically worked his system to get there.

View attachment 724355
For L3 absolutely. Both players can move up and down the middle 6. I think Wood is back to himself and really came on after getting his legs back from injury.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Seravelli doubling down on Kappo and saying he's heard rumblings that we are going to clean house in net.

For L3 absolutely. Both players can move up and down the middle 6. I think Wood is back to himself and really came on after getting his legs back from injury.

I think you need to get Wood before you can get Domi :)

Maybe ask your wife :P

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad