Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Thankfully, it's Rob Rossi reporting.

Well hopefully that's all this is. Front office is utterly out to lunch thinking that dude can allow this team to win.

I think some more moves get us back in the playoff picture - but Sully + Jarry is a guaranteed first round exit. That, I would put money on. f***ing absurd.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think they're looking for a cheapish starter. I think they go with Vladar from Calgary.

I could also see them bringing in Talbot as their own starter, that wouldn't surprise me either.

I thought I read some scuttlebutt about them trying to go with Copley and someone fairly inexpensive to pair with him. But I'm probably wrong since I barely pay attention to other teams nevermind Western teams.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well hopefully that's all this is. Front office is utterly out to lunch thinking that dude can allow this team to win.

I think some more moves get us back in the playoff picture - but Sully + Jarry is a guaranteed first round exit. That, I would put money on. f***ing absurd.

That's better than what they had last year :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought Freddy Andersen might be an option. He'll probably re-sign in Carolina but looked good in the playoffs again. His last three postseason showings have been excellent on paper. I don't remember how his tenure ended in Toronto exactly, other than them being ushered out early.
Much prefer him over Jarry

Reactions: 66-30-33

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I really like Dubas but I don’t expect him to be infallible. He will make his share of good and bad moves. I’m pretty confident he is a massive upgrade over the last regime.

I like the Smith move. He didn’t reach with the Yager pick, no matter what anyone says they don’t know how an 18 year old kid will develop.

I get people are mad Granlund wasn’t bought out but I agree with Dubas that buy outs are short term thinking. We’re still paying for Jack Johnson.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought I read some scuttlebutt about them trying to go with Copley and someone fairly inexpensive to pair with him. But I'm probably wrong since I barely pay attention to other teams nevermind Western teams.

Yeah that is right, I just think they want Copley to be their 1B and are looking for a 1A. I think they go dumpster diving for someone like Vladar or Talbot to fill that role, I'm not sure DeSmith quite fits that.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

No, that's definitely been out there.

Might be they've changed the plan. But so far that looks right.

Of course, someone like Vladar or Talbot is about as cheap as DeSmith.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’m extremely type A to the point I never envision truly retiring so I get why people need to continue to occupy their minds but how the f*** do you not f*** off and go golf for the rest of your life if you’re Babcock lmaoo

Coach your grandkids peweee team or do a podcast if you need your competitive fix

He is to conceded

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m extremely type A to the point I never envision truly retiring so I get why people need to continue to occupy their minds but how the f*** do you not f*** off and go golf for the rest of your life if you’re Babcock lmaoo

Coach your grandkids peweee team or do a podcast if you need your competitive fix

Mike Babcock in charge of a peewee team could be the new Dance Moms.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
That's better than what they had last year :laugh:

It is. The definition of that. An improvement. We make the playoffs versus missing them.

Then we're back to where we were the previous 4.5 seasons - a Sully coached team flaming out in the first round.

I could see a Jarry upping coming directly from Sully and the goalie coach. He's beloved by them for some reason. But he is, with certainty, not a reliable starting NHL goalie. Frankly I (keep saying it) see him as a 1A goalie at his absolute peak. Foolish decision to spend Sid/Geno's remaining 3? years of compete on. It's whatever though. I frankly told myself if those goalies are back - I'm out on the regular. I'll keep to that. Zero interest in watching the combination of Sullivan AND Jarry shitting on this franchise any more.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just never been impressed with him and he does the Desmtih thing where he is good for like 5 games then awful for 10.

I don't think Talbot is notably better than DeSmith, but it is a change if they're insistent on keeping Jarry. Plus DeSmith has been ultra unreliable for the Penguins, so it's at least trying out someone new as the 1B who will hopefully be available if you need him.

I'm not crazy about running it back with Jarry and just finding a new backup, but it's at least not running it back with both Jarry and DeSmith.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dvorak as a notable name tickles me pink.

Also if you're gonna cheap out, then Jarry on a short term deal isn't the worst thing that ever happened if you're convinced the teams with goalies aren't going to blink.

But. This is why you don't cheap out.

Or. This is why you don't spend all your assets on trivial shit.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Damn Janmark re-signs for 1x1. Seems odd for him to take so little. He could have gotten alot more on the FA market

Maybe I think a lot of guys you expect to are going to end up on PTO or signed at the end of the summer. Wasn't he one of the ones who did last year?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tbh no matter what else Dubas does I automatically like this team more than last year just based on no Dumo and plus Reilly Smith.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad