Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If UFAs end up being super cheap this off-season, I feel like you might be able to make this lineup work with the cap:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Wood-Rodrigues-Granlund
O'Connor-Poehling-White
Carter-Nylander

Hanifin-Letang
Pettersson-Dumba
POJ-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-Talbot

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They have a goaltender an elite top six and a solid d-core. We are gaping at multiple positions.

Dubas should've been moving pieces at the draft for whatever he could've gotten. We've now locked in those assets and are likely going to have to go dumpster diving in UFA. Which is exactly what Hextall did the last three years.

I agree that things should have moved at the draft but they don't have to dumpster dive yet. Again it all depends on what they do in the next 24hrs. The biggest holes they have are.

Top LD
Starting Goalie

If these aren't solved in the next 24 hrs then ya it looks rough.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You can make a lot of things work, but it's all up to whether or not this team wants to give it the ol' college try or not. Which, I'll be honest, I've been very skeptical of and continue to be. :laugh:

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You can make a lot of things work, but it's all up to whether or not this team wants to give it the ol' college try or not. Which, I'll be honest, I've been very skeptical of and continue to be. :laugh:

I mean, they've already traded for a Rakell caliber top-6 forward and are allegedly trying to move out their 2nd highest paid player. Dubas is clearly trying to get stuff done.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hate Wheeler and want nothing to do with him :laugh:

I just think it seems like a Dubas kind of buy-low move. Exactly what he did in the past with guys like Spezza.
Except he had a young team in Toronto then…Wheeler at his age would be a killer for this team and not in a good sense

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Chris Johnston is saying it looks like 2 x 2.4m for Jesper Fast in Carolina.

So that seems to be the upper end of a useful bottom sixer in UFA this year.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Jarry is pretty much the best goalie in FA. Maybe the trade route isn’t going well.
I want to move on just as much as the next guy, but you can't make things materialize out of nothing.

If the rumors are true and Dubas is talking to Jarry, I'll reserve judgement until I see numbers/term and see what backup and third goalie he can acquire.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looking at the goalie options, I feel like I've been overlooking Talbot a bit as a 1B option. He didn't have a great year last year, with only having an .898 save%, but his GSAx was only -0.7. Ottawa is just trash defensively, which made his mediocre season look worse than it was.

If you can get him for $2 million a year, I think he'd be a really damn good 1B. You just need to find someone to take DeSmith.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Looking at the goalie options, I feel like I've been overlooking Talbot a bit as a 1B option. He didn't have a great year last year, with only having an .898 save%, but his GSAx was only -0.7. Ottawa is just trash defensively, which made his mediocre season look worse than it was.

If you can get him for $2 million a year, I think he'd be a really damn good 1B. You just need to find someone to take DeSmith.

Very gross.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't hate Wheeler for the same reason the sensitive types do, but he does suck. He's an older, slower and worse -- but bigger! -- version of Danton Heinen. And I don't want Heinen back for any reason.

So the Dubas Era begins with:

- not buying out Granlund or getting rid of him some other way

- taking a pretty meh player at 14OV instead of trading the pick for immediate help or taking a better available player

- getting ready to bring back the wildly successful Jarry-DeSmith duo

- getting ready (?) to acquire another soft, old player (Wheeler) who is way over the hill

- Reilly Smith was cheap to acquire so that's not terrible but, at his age, is just as likely to turn out as the bad version of Jason Zucker as he is the good (2022-23) version.

We'll see how Jager (in about 4 years) and Smith work out, but so far it's a lot of rearranging the deck chairs. We're all waiting for him to target some Toronto players for the Pens, so I guess we shouldn't complain when it turns out to be ZAR instead of Bunting.
Agree…no better than Hextall so far and nothing to change the team…let’s see what happens in the next couple days

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll pretend that 'leak' that Jarry is close to re-signing is just Dubas putting that out there to show other teams they're willing to go in a different direction if their asking prices don't come down.

Why start off a holiday weekend on a bad note, ya know?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think LA is looking for a cheap-ish backup option aren't they?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, they've already traded for a Rakell caliber top-6 forward and are allegedly trying to move out their 2nd highest paid player. Dubas is clearly trying to get stuff done.
Making calls to gauge interest in Petry, swapping one 40-50pt winger for another, and potentially bringing back Jarry is like the equivalent of moving your mouse so your screen saver doesn't come on when your boss walks by. :laugh: /shrug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think LA is looking for a cheap-ish backup option aren't they?

I think they're looking for a cheapish starter. I think they go with Vladar from Calgary.

I could also see them bringing in Talbot as their own starter, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Making calls to gauge interest in Petry, swapping one 40-50pt winger for another, and potentially bringing back Jarry is like the equivalent of moving your mouse so your screen saver doesn't come on when your boss walks by. :laugh: /shrug

If that is doing nothing then 95% of teams do nothing in the off-season.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I thought Freddy Andersen might be an option. He'll probably re-sign in Carolina but looked good in the playoffs again. His last three postseason showings have been excellent on paper. I don't remember how his tenure ended in Toronto exactly, other than them being ushered out early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad