Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
“For me, the most important thing is that we look at our core group of players and figure out what their strengths are, we’re going to build an identity around that,” Sullivan reiterated. “Our group has certainly shown plenty of evidence that we can be a competitive team when we surround these guys with the right people, and we put a game on the ice that sets us up for success.”

This dude thinks we are a competitive group

I mean Sid, Geno, Tanger, is still mostly competitive, assuming Tanger plays at the standard he did in the second half of last season when not with Dumo. That bit isn't wrong.

And the bit about working out your identity based on your core isn't wrong.

It's the bit where we once again half-arse putting together the group around them and do it on the cheap. That's the wrong bit.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the identity they're going to pick but I care less about what identity they pick than I do whether they execute it. A mediocre plan executed well is better than a great plan half-arsed.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Zucker - Rodrigues - Granlund...

HBK 2.0 @ZorkEnchanter

ae8cf804997345461bb7070c21c7f140242019aa.gif

I mean look at the market for Granlund... I bet Dubas had to grab 3-4 extra cell numbers... Just like HBK without the winning or playing hard or scoring...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean Sid, Geno, Tanger, is still mostly competitive, assuming Tanger plays at the standard he did in the second half of last season when not with Dumo. That bit isn't wrong.

And the bit about working out your identity based on your core isn't wrong.

It's the bit where we once again half-arse putting together the group around them and do it on the cheap. That's the wrong bit.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the identity they're going to pick but I care less about what identity they pick than I do whether they execute it. A mediocre plan executed well is better than a great plan half-arsed.

What is the identity?

Sid, Geno, and Letang are competitive. But what is their identity? Skill.

Where's the skill around them?

The reality is Sullivan thinks the identity around our core should be safe, two-way players who play the game in a boring way that leads to "chaos".

Dude's toast.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No I'd say there's at least an outside chance that the team doesn't see the fit here but also just doesn't want to do a buyout for... reasons. There are always teams that miss out and find themselves needing to fill a spot or two. So this idea isn't completely wishful thinking.
The thing I keep going back to that immediately bums me out regarding any sort of optimism about Granlund leaving is that Dubas eyed him up for years and almost acquired him in Toronto.

Teams are usually loathe to use buyouts, especially this one. I never expected it, but if all trade avenues had been exhausted, they absolutely should've bought him out imo. The dead cap sucks but it's probably less than they'd have in retaining in a trade, and the length doesn't matter because these last two years of Sid's deal is the only time period this team should be giving a shit about things like cap management.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sullivan waxing moronic about identity is funny to me considering I haven't seen much of any discernable identity in at least two seasons outside of "warm bowl of tapioca." Well that and "choke artists."

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll max retain on Granlund if needed if the plan is to bring in a better fit.

Also Zucker-ERod-Granlund is a line that would cost around 12m at minimum, has only one talented shooter, and has very little presence in its own zone. It'd score some pretty goals from Granlund springing the rush but no thank you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Get ready for Comtois-Granlund-Wheeler on the 3rd line!!!!

Friedman also mentioned that the Penguins were interested in Wheeler but it "didn't go anywhere", which I believe is referring to a trade. I imagine they'll be calling him once free agency opens.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The good news for everyone is usually when I go on and on to the point of pissing the rest of the board off about a player they typically rub it in my face at the first available opportunity.

Well except ZAR.

Reactions: farscape1

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hey man. Don't worry. Mike Sullivan has an identity in his mind.

“The common denominator is those (core) guys. We’re trying to create a certain identity and philosophy of play that sets us up for success. We’re trying to find players, complementary players, that we think can play that game,” Sullivan concluded.

It's based around 35+ year olds.
His message ain't wrong (ie. build a team that can support Sid/Geno and be successful), but how he goes about doing that is the issue (ie. putting Rust with Sid forever, overplaying Carter, etc.).

It's like me saying that in order to live a long life, you have to eat healthy. But then I proceed to list a bunch of sugary cereals and microwavable pizzas for you to add to your diet. The original message isn't wrong, but how I actually go about it is wacko.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If Granny needs to be on a scoring line, Rakell to the 3rd since Sully won't demote Rust...

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Smith Malkin Granlund
O'Connor O'Reilly Rakell
Poehling Carter Hathaway
Nylander
Granlund can't even score in a scoring role 5v5. Just making us worse here.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
For those of you who watch the Wild more than I do, how is Matt Dumba in terms of physicality? He's not a big player at all, he's only 6'0" and 180 lbs, but he has historically been a very physical player in terms of hits from what I can see. Is he a gritty player despite his size or is his physical presence overstated by his hits total?

Dumba is only 29, so Petry out and Dumba on a cheaper short term deal (maybe like $3.5 million a year?) would save them a good chunk of money and let them get younger. I'm just not sure how I like him as a fit with Pettersson on the 2nd pair.

If you could pull off Hanifin, trade Petry out and bring in Dumba, your defense gets way younger and faster. I'm just not sure how I feel about Pettersson-Dumba as a pair.
If they could bring in Dumba and Hanafin I would like it alot.

Dumba has been underachieving but I think he had an injury that was hampering him.

He started looking much like his old self later in the season and would be the type of player I would be looking to rebound.

It's not saying much but would become our biggest piece of sandpaper back there.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Probably less tbh.
Probably right, which means we do have some cap flexibility where as many teams don't. there's a lot of teams up against the cap. I could see KD doing another deal like Smith's. I'd love to get Hanifin, depending on that they'd want. If they wanted POJ as part of it, fine by me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How much will Poehling and DOC cost combined? 2.5 mil at most?
I'm guessing around 2 million. Maybe 2 years, $1 million per for Poehling and 2 years, $.9 million for DOC. Poehling was an every day player but missed a lot of time, didn't produce or play much, the other was only a regular player later in the year and also didn't really produce or play much.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd be shocked if we make another deal, that we don't extract excellent value in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad