Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Second team that's just dumped him. I don't find it weird at this point.

Could be any number of personality, compete level, etc. Maybe he's one of those guys (of which the Pens have seemingly had too many recently) that only appear interested in a paycheck/per diem. But I'd have some serious questions as a buyer of a few of these buyout candidates.

Probably something to be said there, yeah. Still... 40 goal scorers while a bit more common these days don't just fall outta the sky.

To me this feels like bringing back Kapanen, only more expensive and with a player with far less upside.

Exactly this, yes.

Like I said... we need to start actually learning some lessons here and making some hard choices. Considering where this team is... nibbling around the edges is a losing bet.

Ah well. Hextall with a nicer smile and better oration skills, I suppose. At least his plans are on paper eh?

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
“The common denominator is those (core) guys. We’re trying to create a certain identity and philosophy of play that sets us up for success. We’re trying to find players, complementary players, that we think can play that game,” Sullivan concluded.

lol this is such word soup. Coach speak is so inane.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Probably something to be said there, yeah. Still... 40 goal scorers while a bit more common these days don't just fall outta the sky.

Exactly this, yes.

Like I said... we need to start actually learning some lessons here and making some hard choices. Considering where this team is... nibbling around the edges is a losing bet.

Ah well. Hextall with a nicer smile and better oration skills, I suppose. At least his plans are on paper eh?

Dubas is just waiting to strike. Also unfair to criticize Dubas because him and Mike Sullivan are just GMs and Coaches and this is what all GMs and Coaches do.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Can Reilly Smith play LW? Or is it like Rust where he *can* play LW, he's just infinitely better at RW?

Of Rust, Rakell and Smith, I think I'd give Rakell a bit at LW first. I think Rust is a nonstarter when it comes to LW discussion, especially since his production/play tanked last season compared to the couple of seasons prior. Smith seems to be in the same kinda boat where he's a RW first and foremost. Rakell's played both sides, and I think was a LW before coming to Pittsburgh--but with LH centers, I guess he's better suited for RW too.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
lol this is such word soup. Coach speak is so inane.

“For me, the most important thing is that we look at our core group of players and figure out what their strengths are, we’re going to build an identity around that,” Sullivan reiterated. “Our group has certainly shown plenty of evidence that we can be a competitive team when we surround these guys with the right people, and we put a game on the ice that sets us up for success.”

This dude thinks we are a competitive group

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Can Reilly Smith play LW? Or is it like Rust where he *can* play LW, he's just infinitely better at RW?

Of Rust, Rakell and Smith, I think I'd give Rakell a bit at LW first. I think Rust is a nonstarter when it comes to LW discussion, especially since his production/play tanked last season compared to the couple of seasons prior. Smith seems to be in the same kinda boat where he's a RW first and foremost. Rakell's played both sides, and I think was a LW before coming to Pittsburgh--but with LH centers, I guess he's better suited for RW too.

He played LW in the playoffs this year I think, but he is a RW.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Id rather retain $2mil on a granlund cap dump than $2mil on a petry trade

Id also rather not spend money on buyouts... Which would only save a little on granlund vs retaining

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Duchene going back to Colorado would be dope tbh Idk about their cap situation tho
I really want this to happen actually. Go there with your buddy RyJo for cheap. Wouldn't be the worst idea.
Sadly you are correct:

Ahhh, so year there's a difference between the waivers and buyout deadlines. Guy on twitter was mistaken.

Granlund is an interesting conundrum. I don't think he's bad. I do think he has value. He can be RW or Center so there is value there for us. Him at 3C with two good wingers would be nice. Just find a guy that will be shoot first. Zucker-ERod-Granlund would be a fantastic 3rd line for us.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Exactly this, yes.

I get both sides. I can look at Kappy and think - there's a player that, in the right situation gets points....at the same time - moves the needle zero point zero in terms of winning or compete. He looks lost out there and at best is a net neutral. I think GMs look at some of these players the same way. Not saying it's 100 percent accurate - but points don't automatically equal success as cliche as that is. Duchene is probably a combination of salary, compete level/annoyance whatever, and a team ready to start over.

Now, do they go all the way here or do like Montreal and halvsy rebuild with Price in net....imo Saros has got to go if they really want to tank. Time will tell.

The Detroit buyout is far more of a headscratcher to me than Duchene/Nashville. Last Summer we thought the Wild were insane then they went on a nutso tear, added 100 point season...playing with 70% of the cap that Vegas did.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I've been shown evidence that he's played LW but all indications seem to be that he's a more natural RW.

I would assume that he should play LW here based on need and Sullivan handedness stuff. But I assume nothing really anymore with this team. Hell they might have him playing the third line RW all season.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
This is what FSG sees when they look at Mike Sullivan.

1688144716336.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I really want this to happen actually. Go there with your buddy RyJo for cheap. Wouldn't be the worst idea.

Ahhh, so year there's a difference between the waivers and buyout deadlines. Guy on twitter was mistaken.

Granlund is an interesting conundrum. I don't think he's bad. I do think he has value. He can be RW or Center so there is value there for us. Him at 3C with two good wingers would be nice. Just find a guy that will be shoot first. Zucker-ERod-Granlund would be a fantastic 3rd line for us.

1688144762036.png

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe they're waiting for the first couple of days of FA to settle down to try and pawn Granlund off on a team that missed out on guys? Probably extreme wishful thinking.
What's the most people would be willing to retain on Granlund?
I'd say any amount--$2.5 million in dead cap until his deal is up sucks, but is it really worse than having a guy making $5 million taking up a roster spot to give you $2.5 million-worth of player? :laugh: I'm only dipping into hyperbole a little bit. Maybe.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe they're waiting for the first couple of days of FA to settle down to try and pawn Granlund off on a team that missed out on guys? Probably extreme wishful thinking.

No I'd say there's at least an outside chance that the team doesn't see the fit here but also just doesn't want to do a buyout for... reasons. There are always teams that miss out and find themselves needing to fill a spot or two. So this idea isn't completely wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad