Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
LeBrun the market for Hellebuyck is not developing at all, so Winnipeg may end up keeping him until the start of the season. The Devils are still interested, but they don't want to pay a huge price for him. LeBrun hasn't mentioned any other teams in on Hellebuyck.

I don't know what Dubas is thinking regarding the goalie situation, but it really seems like he's not in on Hellebuyck.
And rightfully so. I hate making NFL references but someone said goalies are like the RBs of the NFL and it's pretty spot on. Look what these NHL teams are doing with goalies that are good but don't get paid a kings ransom.

Injuries etc happen. I would be perfectly fine not getting Helle and paying him.

Gibson would look much better with the way the current teams window sits.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
LeBrun the market for Hellebuyck is not developing at all, so Winnipeg may end up keeping him until the start of the season. The Devils are still interested, but they don't want to pay a huge price for him. LeBrun hasn't mentioned any other teams in on Hellebuyck.

I don't know what Dubas is thinking regarding the goalie situation, but it really seems like he's not in on Hellebuyck.
That is BS GM talk trying to move teams into giving him what he wants, No GM is going to give him what he wants & then give Hellebuyck what he wants financially

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
it's possible Dubas called, Helle said he wasn't interested in re-signing, and that was the end of the interest. We don't have enough information, and since there is literally only one person in the front office right now, there are no leaks

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Pray tell, what inside information you have to disprove that JC and Poehling aren't penciled in as the 3 and 4 Centers?
It’s not so much as to having any specific information anymore, but rather still knowing how it works.
I really don’t post that much anymore, but the long timers around here like ColePens, Kirk, etc, will tell you that I used to have a bunch of connections with players, coaches, and management with the Pens. Now most of them have gone elsewhere, but I have gotten to know how they work.
A guy like Poulin, who has pedigree, but May not be projecting like they first thought during his draft, is the first guys they need to make a decision on. It seems as if the previous regime also felt that middle six may be his peak, and that center May be the place to get the best out of him. IQ is one of his strong points, so he’s the type of guy who they may see as a Nick Bonino type 3C down the road. Smart guy who won’t hurt you defensively, and when paired with a line driving winger, can be a contributor offensively as well.
Either way, I would expect them to test what they have in him sooner than later, and if he doesn’t fit what they want, move him sooner while he has some value somewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gibson would look much better with the way the current teams window sits.

Unless they can dump Granlund, only pay moderate assets and also get Anaheim to retain money on him, I'm not particularly interested in Gibson.

If they want more than Granlund and POJ for Gibson at $5 million, pass on Gibson.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
To your point I think that’s in their back pocket as as a last resort. I think between today and tomorrow he tries to trade for a goalie and if nothing works out he might circle back to Jarry and his camp. I also am not crazy about the idea but I agree that it’s at least something that is being kept in his back pocket

I also don’t get why everyone would be against Zucker coming back IF it’s a very team friendly deal. I mean if Zucker likes the situation and doesn’t want to leave and would sign for 3 years $10.5 million why would people be mad about that? Age shouldn’t matter to this team as much as having good hockey players should. Zucker coming back on a deal like that helps create depth that is desperately needed. That means you have one of Zucker, Rakell, Smith or Rust on the 3rd line. Why is that a problem?
It's not and I have been advocating for it since in season.

I have a hunch that Zucker already made his money and there is only a handful of teams if that, he would be willing to move his family to play for just like when he came here.

I could see him retiring right around the same time as Geno/Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Either way, I would expect them to test what they have in him sooner than later, and if he doesn’t fit what they want, move him sooner while he has some value somewhere.

Poulin had 4 points in 15 games in the AHL last year. Dubas would be downright insane to pencil him into a NHL lineup next year.

I'm just hoping he can be effective in the AHL, let alone playing in the NHL.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
It’s not so much as to having any specific information anymore, but rather still knowing how it works.
I really don’t post that much anymore, but the long timers around here like ColePens, Kirk, etc, will tell you that I used to have a bunch of connections with players, coaches, and management with the Pens. Now most of them have gone elsewhere, but I have gotten to know how they work.
A guy like Poulin, who has pedigree, but May not be projecting like they first thought during his draft, is the first guys they need to make a decision on. It seems as if the previous regime also felt that middle six may be his peak, and that center May be the place to get the best out of him. IQ is one of his strong points, so he’s the type of guy who they may see as a Nick Bonino type 3C down the road. Smart guy who won’t hurt you defensively, and when paired with a line driving winger, can be a contributor offensively as well.
I liked what Ive seen from Poehling a lot and the more I had seen I feel the better he looked. I am looking for some nice play from him this season and think he really surprises some people.

Edit: Nevermind you were talking Poulin.

My point still stands.

Reactions: Ogelthorpe

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Poulin had 4 points in 15 games in the AHL last year. Dubas would be downright insane to pencil him into a NHL lineup next year.

I'm just hoping he can be effective in the AHL, let alone playing in the NHL.
Sooner than later DOESN’T mean penciled in. What it means is the goal would be to test the waters there at some point in the near future to see if it is possible. Maybe he gets a look for a short period next spring as either a 3 or 4C. I don’t expect it to be right away, but the fact remains that he is getting to the point where they need to decide where he slots in long term, and if the answer is not what they hoped for, they move him while there is some value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sooner than later DOESN’T mean penciled in. What it means is the goal would be to test the waters there at some point in the near future to see if it is possible. Maybe he gets a look for a short period next spring as either a 3 or 4C. I don’t expect it to be right away, but the fact remains that he is getting to the point where they need to decide where he slots in long term, and if the answer is not what they hoped for, they move him while there is some value.

I think any sort of long-term plans with Poulin are impossible to determine now until we can see how he does in the AHL next year. His 2022-2023 season was a disaster both on the ice and off the ice. They can't realistically plan for his future right now because they have no clue how he'll look next year.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
At this point I’d just move Poulin and Legare. I don’t think either of them are honestly going to have any type of NHL role or impact here and you may be able to package 1 or both of them in a deal with Pickering and a 1st to get some immediate help

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At this point I’d just move Poulin and Legare. I don’t think either of them are honestly going to have any type of NHL role or impact here and you may be able to package 1 or both of them in a deal with Pickering and a 1st to get some immediate help

I don't see a point in moving either Poulin or Legare right now because both would have no value. You might get like a 5th round pick for Poulin and I'm skeptical you'd even get that for Legare.

The best thing they can do with those two is just let them marinade in the AHL and see if they can turn into something.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I thought you just had a connection with the beer stand on level 2 of PPG?

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
What's Yager worth in a trade now that he's drafted?

How much draft capital will we need to attach to him to get rid of him?

Did Dubas learn nothing???

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Sounds like Jets are asking a lot, as is Helle on his next contract…that’s a bad combo…I’d love him but not at the cost of the $9M per year contract he wants and NJ is balking at that too..and if he comes in as a rental, he’s not worth a first

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't see Poulin as a candidate for the No. 3 center job. But he is insurance in case Carter cannot play the entire season, and could also push for playing time because our projected fourth center is on his last legs with the team. He needs a strong bounce back season and it needs to start immediately with training camp. I agree with Emp, he has no value. Terrible time to move him now. That all said, I still don't understand why left or right wing is not an option for Poulin? Take advantage of his versatility.

Re: Poehling, is there any truth to the rumor that he has a serious health issue?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I think any sort of long-term plans with Poulin are impossible to determine now until we can see how he does in the AHL next year. His 2022-2023 season was a disaster both on the ice and off the ice. They can't realistically plan for his future right now because they have no clue how he'll look next year.
Hence, why I said that doesn’t mean penciling him in anywhere. I would expect that he starts in WBS. However, it’s still a business, and business goes on regardless. Everyone is aware of the off ice stuff, and that it may take longer to develop him…. That could be part of the appeal in moving him within the next off season quite honestly. If we decide he isn’t a fit for what the regime wants, and there is a team that was high on him a few years ago, and still thinks he may be a fit for them, they may be willing to take the chance, knowing that last season was a wash due to circumstances.
Either way, Poulin is one of our few higher end young assets, and they won’t his expiration date sour his value.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I don't see a point in moving either Poulin or Legare right now because both would have no value. You might get like a 5th round pick for Poulin and I'm skeptical you'd even get that for Legare.

The best thing they can do with those two is just let them marinade in the AHL and see if they can turn into something.
I wasn’t saying move them on their own. I was saying add them in to a package with something like a 1st and Pickering. Or maybe you could do POJ+Poulin for Ullmark

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, I mean, WBS needs players too and we won't be getting good value for either. The type of NHL player they currently are is readily available in FA so you may as well keep them. They are both 22 as well. Still relatively young. If they were 26-27, I'd be saying dump them. But given Poulin's break last year, his path and development may take a bit longer. And that's fine.

Vancouver fan coming in peace.

So now that you got Smith, you're thinking also about getting Ullmark and retaining Zucker.. so, what kind of an offer would you give to Vancouver with Granlund and Petry going back? We have space to take on dollars, cheap depth guys to send back, etc.. getting Granlund might save us from signing a 3C off the UFA for too long a term, and maybe, just maybe, he could work out in Van, mentoring Aatu Räty on the side.. make it worth our while and it might be an interesting idea.
I'd take Garland back if Granlund and Petry were going the other way.

You could build a pretty lethal team if that was the case.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Rakell-Malkin-Smith
Zucker-Poehling-Garland
DOC-Carter-Nylander

Pettersson-Letang
Soucy-Klingberg/Dumba
POJ-Rutta

Ullmark-CDS
it's possible Dubas called, Helle said he wasn't interested in re-signing, and that was the end of the interest. We don't have enough information, and since there is literally only one person in the front office right now, there are no leaks
I imagine this is 100% the case. Either "I'm not resigning there" or "I want $9mil" and that was the end of the discussion.

Helly's contract demands to resign are going to murder the value that Winnipeg wants to get out of him. Kings ransom if he had an extra year. 1yr and a $8mil+ contract demand...that's going to be a rough market. Bad time for him to be a UFA. If he had that 1-2 years left, you could get him the money when the cap goes up. Way too many cash-strapped teams right now.

Just a tough market for Winnipeg especially with Ullmark/Swayman potentially being available and a slew of other mid-levelers (to include Jarry in FA).

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I don't see Poulin as a candidate for the No. 3 center job. But he is insurance in case Carter cannot play the entire season, and could also push for playing time because our projected fourth center is on his last legs with the team. He needs a strong bounce back season and it needs to start immediately with training camp. I agree with Emp, he has no value. Terrible time to move him now. That all said, I still don't understand why left or right wing is not an option for Poulin? Take advantage of his versatility.

Re: Poehling, is there any truth to the rumor that he has a serious health issue?
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Now I don’t expect Carter at 3C, but the point remains. I can see him getting call up time, especially in the second half of the season, to see where he stands. At some point soon (as in Year to 18 months), they need to see what he has at this level and where he stands long term. A trial run allows them to gage his ceiling and how long they think it will take to get there, as well as what he needs to work on to get there. If they don’t like the answer, they get what they can get and move on.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ok, this what people mean when they say he’s stale lol…the core is ancient now, skill and speed declining…where’s the replacements when you keep bringing in older players? This guy should have been fired already…frustrating

lol…

“Sullivan was adamant about sticking with what has worked in the past. And which he contends allows the Pittsburgh Penguins’ most important players to be at their most productive.

“There are different types of identities that bring teams success,” he said. “I think the most important thing is that we look at the people we have — and our core group is the most important, because they’re our difference-makers, they’re the engine that I think our team runs on — so we have to build a game plan that sets them up for success.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad