Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That sounds more like he's gone than coming back. The wording on that implies it's kinda on Zucker's end as to whether he'd take something cheap to come back.

He probably is more likely to be gone than coming back, I think Dubas is just making it clear that he wants to keep Zucker around.

But yeah, I don't think it's very likely that Zucker returns. He might, but it would be a bizarre decision making process for him to decide that. It would require him to take substantially less with the Penguins than he'd probably get in UFA this year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Ball was always gonna be in Zucker's court. The room loves him, the coach loves him. I'm sure they'd happily bring him back, but Zucker will absolutely be able to get a huge amount more elsewhere. (I also hope he and the rest of the UFAs walk, but that's just me)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why not?

We can afford another 5 mil dollar forward if we go cheap on D and in net.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker (5.75 x 5) - Malkin - Smith
DOC (1 x 2) - Granlund - Rakell
Poehling (1 x 2) - Carter - Nylander
800k forward

Pettersson- Letang
POJ - Petry
Smith (1x2) - Rutta
Ruh

Jarry (5x5)
Desmith

Why would Dubas make a big deal about wanting to add depth only to keep the same team from last year but with Smith in and Dumoulin out?

Ball was always gonna be in Zucker's court. The room loves him, the coach loves him. I'm sure they'd happily bring him back, but Zucker will absolutely be able to get a huge amount more elsewhere. (I also hope he and the rest of the UFAs walk, but that's just me)

I think the Penguins would go something like medium term at about $5 million a year, but I think a stupid team in UFA offers him like 6 years at $5.5 million a year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why would Dubas make a big deal about wanting to add depth only to keep the same team from last year but with Smith in and Dumoulin out?

I think the Penguins would go something like medium term at about $5 million a year, but I think a stupid team in UFA offers him like 6 years at $5.5 million a year.
I think if they can find a way to remove Granlund, I imagine Zucker will be back without much hesitation. But between Dubas being a fan of Granlund in the past and the thinking that the team would have to retain or pay an asset to rid themselves of him--I think Granlund's probably gonna be here come October.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
My pipe dream is still Carter waiving to go to Anaheim and get LTIRed for being allergic to his skates,maybe as part of a deal for Gibson, though I agree there are better goalies out there to target.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The stupidest thing, after trading for a 30+ winger, is to bring back another 30+ winger…we can have a collection of all the oldest NHL wingers…just move on from Zucker…bring in some young players…the worst thing Dubas could do would be to bring him back because the coaches and players all like him…the country club did not go to the playoffs last year!

Last edited:
Reactions: wizmet12

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Then Pens have too many offensive wingers that need to play in the top 6 as is. Zucker would be another one. It just doesn't make sense for the Pens unless Sullivan has completely rethought how he's going to use his top 9...which I doubt.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Then Pens have too many offensive wingers that need to play in the top 6 as is. Zucker would be another one. It just doesn't make sense for the Pens unless Sullivan has completely rethought how he's going to use his top 9...which I doubt.
Zucker or Smith would be fine in the bottom six imo.

Reactions: Peat

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Jarry (5x5)
Desmith
61i.gif

5 more years of TJ and all of his issues is horrifying.
Might as well just bring back Murray for a dozen years for insurance.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re Zucker's value and what he'd take - it is possible he finds the market isn't that appealing. We found a lot of players taking unexpected directions last year due to a weak market. At a quick look, I'm not sure there's all that many teams out there that need a LW enough to hand out something big and that aren't kinda ass.

It sounds like the expectation is Zucker will catch on at one for more than the Pens offer but now we're this close, I think it looks possible he won't.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Re Zucker's value and what he'd take - it is possible he finds the market isn't that appealing. We found a lot of players taking unexpected directions last year due to a weak market. At a quick look, I'm not sure there's all that many teams out there that need a LW enough to hand out something big and that aren't kinda ass.

It sounds like the expectation is Zucker will catch on at one for more than the Pens offer but now we're this close, I think it looks possible he won't.

I think Zucker is also a player who doesn’t want to move his shit.

I’m pissed Dubas didn’t move the pick, but realistically none of these numbskulls made a single move. Just speaks to the idiots that run these teams

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Guentzel - Crosby - Smith
Zucker - Malkin - Granlund
Rust - O'Connor - Rakell
Comtois - Poehling - Kostin
Carter

I don't like the idea of O'Connor as the 3C, but with the kind of support Rust and Rakell could give him on the wings could make it work. It has shades of Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel each on a separate line.

Reactions: Bishop7979

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Why not?

We can afford another 5 mil dollar forward if we go cheap on D and in net.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker (5.75 x 5) - Malkin - Smith
DOC (1 x 2) - Granlund - Rakell
Poehling (1 x 2) - Carter - Nylander
800k forward

Pettersson- Letang
POJ - Petry
Smith (1x2) - Rutta
Ruh

Jarry (5x5)
Desmith
If that’s the roster you’re stuck with it should be

rakell Sid smith
jake Geno rust
zucker granlund nylander
doc poehling xxxxx
carter

the only shot you have of getting anything out of granlund is to play him with zucker.

that being said, please no

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
A friend from Philly was saying carter is still pretty loved by chunks of that city, wonder if he’d waive to finish where he started. They have no forwards, no chance at winning, and cap space, and he’d get more playing time in Philly for his last season and the flyers could use the minor pr boost for what’s going to be a crap season for them.

let carter straight up Reggie Dunlop that shit, didn’t they already hire leclair and jones to work with briere, why not carter?

can you still John leclair a contract? Mutually agree to terminate it? If so, if it’s a 35 plus does it stay on the books?
can the pens just leclair carter and transition him to a non player position?

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_servo

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Zucker or Smith would be fine in the bottom six imo.

I had been a critic of Zucker, but as of late I'm wondering why people are so hasty to ditch him. Still only 31. He had 25 even strength goals last year which tied him with Guentzel, Eichel, Hintz. Above Crosby, Kreider, Toffoli, Connor, etc. We're desperate for depth. Not optimistic we could hold him to a smart contract but I wouldn't wince if he were back.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I had been a critic of Zucker, but as of late I'm wondering why people are so hasty to ditch him. Still only 31. He had 25 even strength goals last year which tied him with Guentzel, Eichel, Hintz. Above Crosby, Kreider, Toffoli, Connor, etc. We're desperate for depth. Not optimistic we could hold him to a smart contract but I wouldn't wince if he were back.
I want Zuck to stay in Pittsburgh but with the term he will command, it must come at a team-friendly AAV discount. This will be Zucker's last big contract and he is the UFA crop's leading scorer.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
A friend from Philly was saying carter is still pretty loved by chunks of that city, wonder if he’d waive to finish where he started. They have no forwards, no chance at winning, and cap space, and he’d get more playing time in Philly for his last season and the flyers could use the minor pr boost for what’s going to be a crap season for them.

let carter straight up Reggie Dunlop that shit, didn’t they already hire leclair and jones to work with briere, why not carter?

can you still John leclair a contract? Mutually agree to terminate it? If so, if it’s a 35 plus does it stay on the books?
can the pens just leclair carter and transition him to a non player position?

I wouldn’t be shocked if they hired Hartnell away from his Flyers analyst on NBC role. Which might nix the Carter bit. There is zero chance Carter waives to go and his contract essentially ensures he’s safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad