Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't think re-signing Zucker is a good idea, but you could certainly do worse than Zucker-Malkin-Smith as your 2nd line and have Rust carry the 3rd line.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I’m so glad I’m boycotting this season for my sanity and not to bother with such a shit show.

Sully really is the Gm, Dubas is just here for the title of his job.

Oh stop…we shouldnt sign Zucker…and using the locker room is bs because this is the same room that failed to make the playoffs…theyre not a daycare
Like Sullivan gives a flying f*** about the locker room. What a f***ing muppet ass Wanker.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So Dubas isn't closing the door on Zucker or Jarry.

Don't see how he makes the cap work on bringing either (let alone both) back unless he makes other moves

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So Dubas isn't closing the door on Zucker or Jarry.

Don't see how he makes the cap work on bringing either (let alone both) back unless he makes other moves

Just for shits and giggles, if you re-sign Zucker and Jarry at both $5 million a year, you're sitting with $5 million in cap space with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-XXXXXX-Granlund
XXXXX-XXXXXX-Carter
Nylander-XXXXX

Pettersson-Letang
POJ-Petry
XXXXX-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

That leaves you $1 million each for those 5 spots. It's clearly not ideal in any way, shape or form, but it is possible.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Just for shits and giggles, if you re-sign Zucker and Jarry at both $5 million a year, you're sitting with $5 million in cap space with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-XXXXXX-Granlund
XXXXX-XXXXXX-Carter
Nylander-XXXXX

Pettersson-Letang
POJ-Petry
XXXXX-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

That leaves you $1 million each for those 5 spots. It's clearly not ideal in any way, shape or form, but it is possible.
If they move Petry and/or Granlund it's a lot easier but seems like a tight squeeze otherwise.

Having Zucker or Smith on line 3 would be sick though

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they move Petry and/or Granlund it's a lot easier but seems like a tight squeeze otherwise.

Having Zucker or Smith on line 3 would be sick though

If you trade Granlund, you could pretty easily make this top-9 work:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Zucker-Malkin-Smith
Kostin-Kerfoot-Rust

Kerfoot plus Kostin are probably going to be coming in around $5.5 million combined, so you're not really losing much cap space. I honestly really like that top-9.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If you trade Granlund, you could pretty easily make this top-9 work:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Zucker-Malkin-Smith
Kostin-Kerfoot-Rust

Kerfoot plus Kostin are probably going to be coming in around $5.5 million combined, so you're not really losing much cap space. I honestly really like that top-9.
You know it'd be Rakell on line 3 not Rust though

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
If they can bring Zucker back on the cheap like I've been saying I would be pretty happy.

Let's see how this plays out but so far so good. We have some room to play and Smith is a solid pickup who can also play up and down the lineup.

Essentially you have Raks, Rust, Smith and potentially Zucker who can play anywhere in the top 9 wings.

Imagine having that Granlund money still to spend and the 2nd round pick.

FU Hextall

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
We are long past the all in approach. Zucker at 5 million for 4 or 5 years is just not good. Dubas has to know Sid is gone in a couple and Geno and Letang as well. They had their run. But Hextall screwed the pooch with his moves and now even smart moves like the Smith trade is still hard to overcome. But whatever they do a full rebuild will have to happen in a couple years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You know it'd be Rakell on line 3 not Rust though

No, I'm pretty confident all 3 (meaning Rust, Rakell and Smith) will be rotating through the top-9 based on what's working and what's not.

If Zucker stays, I think Sullivan would keep his Guentzel-Crosby and Zucker-Malkin duos and make the 3rd line duo Kostin-Kerfoot, and just plan on alternating the RWs between those 3 lines.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No, I'm pretty confident all 3 (meaning Rust, Rakell and Smith) will be rotating through the top-9 based on what's working and what's not.

If Zucker stays, I think Sullivan would keep his Guentzel-Crosby and Zucker-Malkin duos and just alternate the RWs between those 3 lines.
Really curious how the powerplay shakes out with Smith here. I don't think Rakell is locked in there. Nor Rust obviously.

Wonder if Smith sees #1pp time.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Really curious how the powerplay shakes out with Smith here. I don't think Rakell is locked in there. Nor Rust obviously.

Rust and RR should both play over Jake. Smith plays the right side usually on the PP.

I like Jake but he leaves a lot to desire on the Powerplay. We need to fix it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The powerplay is interesting because the Penguins have a lot of guys who deserve PP minutes right now, but not enough spots for all of them.

Their top PP probably isn't going to change, I think it's going to stay Crosby, Malkin, Rakell, Guentzel and Letang. The 2nd PP unit will definitely have Smith, Rust and Zucker on it, which only leaves 1 spot for either Kerfoot or Carter (in this hypothetical) and 1 spot for POJ, Smith or Petry. Will both powerplay units have only 1 defenseman on it? I doubt it personally.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If Zucker stays, I think Sullivan would keep his Guentzel-Crosby and Zucker-Malkin duos and make the 3rd line duo Kostin-Kerfoot, and just plan on alternating the RWs between those 3 lines.

Granlund and Jeff Carter gonna hold down the bottom six.

Very excited.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Granlund isn't going to be here if the Penguins bring back Zucker.

Why not?

We can afford another 5 mil dollar forward if we go cheap on D and in net.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker (5.75 x 5) - Malkin - Smith
DOC (1 x 2) - Granlund - Rakell
Poehling (1 x 2) - Carter - Nylander
800k forward

Pettersson- Letang
POJ - Petry
Smith (1x2) - Rutta
Ruh

Jarry (5x5)
Desmith

Status