Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Crosby's not bringing back nearly enough in a trade to change how their future is going to look.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but Patrick Kane was traded for a 2nd as a rental. Crosby's not bringing back any sort of return that notably impacts the future rebuild that is coming.
Crosby in a trade can bring you significant futures. If it was done this summer.

Habs for example offer an abundance of draft capital and depth on D.

With the added cap space, Pittsburgh can chase a younger UFA if they please or go full rebuild.

Same thing applies to Malkin and Letang.

If those guys just walk into retirement...it is a very dark hole to climb out of with no assets to trade and vacant prospect pool.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby in a trade can bring you significant futures. If it was done this summer.

With the added cap space, Pittsburgh can chase a younger UFA if they please or go full rebuild.

If those guys just walk into retirement...it is a very dark hole to climb out of with no assets to trade and vacant prospect pool.

None of these would be true. Crosby, Malkin and Letang all have full NMCs and would hand pick any location they could go to. In addition, I think the term left on Malkin's deal and Letang's deal (especially Letang) eliminate any sort of value they'd have. I think Letang is definitely untradeable and Malkin is probably untradeable.

If they'd move Crosby, they'd at best get something like Colton, Girard and a 2025 1st from Colorado. That's not a return that tangibly moves the future of the franchise.

Reactions: Darren McCord

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I very much doubt that Sid would waive for the Habs. Seriously doubt. You're sitting here saying, "don't finish your career on a trash team! Finish it on another trash team, because it's *MY* trash team!" but if finishing with 1 team is important to Sid, why would he give up on that goal to waive for a team that is not as bad as the Pens, but pretty darn close?

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
No matter where Crosby is going to sign, I for one am happy that we get to see him play for a few more years.

My favourite player growing up, it will be a sad day when he finally decides to retire.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
What rebuild? Pens rebuild hasn't even started yet.

It still that old core trying to be successful.

A bit worse team than last season.

Team has regressed every year, and this death spiral will last for a decade, until a rise up.

2021 - 112p (pace)
2022 - 103p
2023 - 91p (out of the playoffs)
2024 - 88p (out of the playoffs)
2025 - 80-85p range (estimation)

Crosby should be playing in a contender. Not get stuck on a sinking Titanic for next 4 years.

Get future assets for him.
Yes it has. Rebuilding doesn’t mean tanking. Crosby should be finishing his career with the franchise he spent 20 years building up and won 3 Cups and went to 4 finals with.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
ITT: people who want to see Crosby leave Pittsburgh trying to hide it under the guise of compassion for the Pens franchise or some shit.

You know it’s worse for the Pens if he leaves. We know it’s worse. Just stop deluding yourself and simply say it would be more fun for you to see him leave, and it has nothing to do with what is better for his legacy or for Pittsburgh.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Well. at least we know he's choosing to ride out his career likely missing the playoffs and even if they did manage to sneak in, it'll be a quick exit.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Sucks for us as fans, we won’t get to see him on the biggest stage anymore

Maybe in the Olympics for Canada. Its really the only time I can see a team with a maple leaf as its crest win lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regal

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
How is it dissapointing for him? Crosby is a pretty down to earth guy and i would assume he thinks he has nothing to prove anymore and chose the comfort of Pittsburgh.
He certainly has nothing to prove - and I’m a Ranger fan. I think he’s staying for loyalty, not comfort.

It’s very admirable that he’s loyal to Pittsburgh and wants to finish where he started. Many greats haven’t accomplished that - even guys like 99 and 11. I always give credit to guys like Sakic and Yzerman.

He could cup chase if he wanted to, but loyalty seems more important to him. I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to go elsewhere. What a breath of fresh air after watching the NBA. Talk about two different cultures.

Reactions: elmaco and sanscosm

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
10M seems very un-Crosby like. I think he should stay a Pen for Life, but maybe a lower number could help those finals years compete better.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
10M seems very un-Crosby like. I think he should stay a Pen for Life, but maybe a lower number could help those finals years compete better.
Money means shit to him at this point, with the amount his made by contract, contract bonuses, endorsement deals, merch sales, sponsorship deals, I'm almost positive he aint hurting for money.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Trades Guentzel but extending Crosby.
Sid is the face of the franchise, Jake is not. The core is Crosby, Malkin, Letang. Those three have been around for the 4 cup finals appearances of this era. Almost no one from the 08 and 09 finals other than those three lasted to 16 and 17. Kunitz is the only one that comes to mind. and he wasn't there in 08, was a 4th liner by 17. Now most of the players from those 16 and 17 teams have been turned over too. Rust is the only non core member left, and he's probably going to go the Kunitz path.

Right or wrong, management wants one more cycle with this core.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I very much doubt that Sid would waive for the Habs. Seriously doubt. You're sitting here saying, "don't finish your career on a trash team! Finish it on another trash team, because it's *MY* trash team!" but if finishing with 1 team is important to Sid, why would he give up on that goal to waive for a team that is not as bad as the Pens, but pretty darn close?
Read my original post. Two things can be true.

Sid and Pens have the right to let him finish his career in Pittsburgh. Makes sense for short term business.

Long term. Trading him is better for their future.

I'm not expecting him to waive for his childhood favourite team.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Okay, but when was the last time a franchise pillar, who had delivered cups, was traded in the twilight of their career just to recoup some assets?

Those guys are ironclad legends for their franchise. They wont be traded unless they force their way out. The Pens know what they're getting into by keeping them, and whatever assets they get back wont be worth the rupture it would cause with the fan base if they're forced out via trade, IMO.

Reactions: sanscosm

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Again you can question the viability of this plan, but it looks like Dubas is trying to reset the board with the likes of Yager, Pickering, Koivunen, Ponomarev, Poulin, O'Connor, Blomqvist, Broz as young legs on cheap contracts to make one more go at it. Use the cap space freed by putting those guys in the lineup to fill the gaps. This is the Boston model, maybe the NYR model vs a full tear down.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I'm trying to figure what what's more hilarious the stupid marks that actually believed Sid was gonna leave after stating for years he was here to to end, or the cretins whining about it. Both are comedy gold.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
None of these would be true. Crosby, Malkin and Letang all have full NMCs and would hand pick any location they could go to. In addition, I think the term left on Malkin's deal and Letang's deal (especially Letang) eliminate any sort of value they'd have. I think Letang is definitely untradeable and Malkin is probably untradeable.

If they'd move Crosby, they'd at best get something like Colton, Girard and a 2025 1st from Colorado.

All should be traded on their last years. And draft well a new core with those double firsts on three years.

Crosby could even sign back, after a short stint elsewhere, to stay on the franchise.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Okay, but when was the last time a franchise pillar, who had delivered cups, was traded in the twilight of their career just to recoup some assets?

Those guys are ironclad legends for their franchise. They wont be traded unless they force their way out.
oh boy...really?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's still awesome.

I'm not sure he's still 10 million dollars awesome, but after taking a sweetheart deal for the last decade plus, hard to blame him for getting some extra cake now.

Is it the best thing for the team right now? Hard to say.

Sometimes legacy means more in the moment than success. It's up to Crosby, the Penguins and the fans to decide if this is the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad