Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m curious how this plays out. Friedman reported Crosby tried to Renegotiate his contract and wasn’t happy with his money.

HF believes dubas is the worst negotiator ever.

Of course he wants to stay. He has 3 cups and is less then 130 pts from all team pens scorer.

Thats more important than a 1/16 shot at ta cup.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
oh boy...really?
pulp-fiction-wtf.gif

What's so objectionable about the question?

Reactions: Morrison

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I’m curious how this plays out. Friedman reported Crosby tried to Renegotiate his contract and wasn’t happy with his money.

Of course he wants to stay. He has 3 cups and is less then 130 pts from all team pens scorer.

Dubas will end up giving Sid what he wants. We all know that.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens attending the Chicago Blackhawks school of "let's piss away our future to say thanks to players for 3 cups."

Crosby is a legend so I'm happy he's getting whatever he wants if staying in Pitt is indeed that but management should view winning hockey clubs as their job first and foremost.

They will miss playoffs for the remaining 4 years Crosby's career (bringing it to 6 straight misses) and then post Crosby/Malkin will be one of the worst teams in the league for god knows how long since they have no prospects or good young players. This could end up as like a 15 year playoff drought kinda ineptitude.

People laughed but approaching Crosby with a trade to the Avs when they badly needed a #2 C and had cap space made so much sense. Could have gotten one or two 1st round picks and a decent prospect and commit to the rebuild asap.

Why does a competitive guy like Crosby want to miss the playoffs for 6 straight years anyways as opposed to chasing cups?
15 year playoff drought? Even the dark days of the early 2000s the penguins only missed the playoffs for 4 seasons.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
He's still awesome.

I'm not sure he's still 10 million dollars awesome, but after taking a sweetheart deal for the last decade plus, hard to blame him for getting some extra cake now.

Is it the best thing for the team right now? Hard to say.

Sometimes legacy means more in the moment than success. It's up to Crosby, the Penguins and the fans to decide if this is the right call.
He's coming off 95 and 94 point seasons and has averaged over a point a game his entire career, 3 years 10 million in someways you could say is low balling him, at this stage he doubt he cares about the money.

Reactions: Dominance

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
10M seems very un-Crosby like. I think he should stay a Pen for Life, but maybe a lower number could help those finals years compete better.
You get the NHLPA on your ass if you take too much less than what you're worth.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Jesus, people don't have any sense of team loyalty do they? He's retiring a pens player, almost guaranteed at this point. He loves the team clearly and his heart is there. People will cry when he retires. He already proved all he needed.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

You can renegotiate contracts in the NHL?

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
15 year playoff drought? Even the dark days of the early 2000s the penguins only missed the playoffs for 4 seasons.
You just got back-to-back 82 game healthy seasons from Crosby AND Malkin. That's unheard of and you still couldn't make playoffs. This old ass team isn't trending upwards that's for sure and you lost Guentzel so I think it's pretty fair to predict they miss the playoffs for the remainder of the Crosby/Malkin era which would take you to a 6 year drought.

By then the rebuild is basically only in its infancy considering a) you have a barren wasteland for a prospect pool and b) Crosby/Malkin/EK are probably good enough still to keep you away from a top 5 pick for the next 3ish seasons.

So you are only just truly bottoming out and rebuilding with serious prospects after a 6 year drought it's not inconceivable to be out of the playoffs for 6-8 years after that. Look at Ottawa, Detroit, Anaheim, Buffalo.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure this is exciting for the Pens and their fans but it would be way more interesting/entertaining for the rest of us if he went somewhere else to cup chase . The Pens will be stuck in no man's land as long as Crosby is there producing.
One, two, three championships, don't worry about it.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Personally I am happy to see Crosby do this. Too many "superstars" at the back nine of their career are just chasing cups. I always appreciate seeing a player who sticks with their team through thick and thin, particularly when their team has been nothing but good to them. All these years ago I remember how much I hated Crosby when he first broke into the league, but he has really earned my respect over the years with his consistent play, conscientious effort, and being a good ambassador to his team, never bringing himself to disrepute.

While it would be neat if he finished with a multi year contract that continued to pay 8.7 mil a year, definitely now rewarding his loyalty in accepting "hometown discount" contracts in the past is probably the only thing I will ever agree that Dubas did right. Crosby is also still producing at an elite level to justify the high salary.

• Love
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I hope Kouvinen or Pono come in and pot 20, so people stop whining about them trading guentzel.

Unlikely but it would make this board so much more bearable

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It is going to be funny if, after taking 8.7 his entire career Dubas goes there and ends up paying him way more money given his reputation with negotiations.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
His odds of becoming the Penguins all time scorer have gone up quite a bit. Though I personally never thought him leaving the Penguins was very likely.

If he keeps up his insane PPG+ consistency over the next 4 years, or if he plays a 5th year, he will become the #2 scorer of all time. Almost certainl that in any case he eleill enter the top 5 in scoring and hit 1800 points.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You get the NHLPA on your ass if you take too much less than what you're worth.
They should have done that back when he signed his current deal. Now, there is no value in taking less for Sid. Unless he was going to add a couple of "dead years" to maybe get LTIR money or something, but that's not really Sid like. That extra $1.3 mill or whatever isn't going to be the difference between Pitt making/not making the PO in those 3 seasons.

If this contract is the last for him, he would have earned up to age 41, 3 years at $10 mill based on the current numbers we are hearing, 3 year ELC money (back then it was what like under $900K base with bonuses that maxed out to like $7.5 mill give or take?), then 17 years at $8.7 million. So, if ELC was say $8 mill max, he could have earned like $186 mill over 23 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad