Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Toronto Media you mean. They want Crosby to leave cause they think it sets a precedent that Star players should leave their towns if everything isn’t going exactly perfect. They think Crosby leaving means McDavid is going to Leaf’s. Yes, it’s very sad and petty of them to advocate for Crosby to break Pittsburgh’s heart for this reason, but that’s why they are doing it.

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
I get why they are doing this It's Sid.

But the right move is to trade him, because as long as Sid, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson etc. are there they are going to be where they have been the last 2 years.

Not good enough to be in the playoffs

Not bad enough to get high picks.
Exactly where Montreal has been for the better part of the last decade. Always finishing in the mid-pack and never get any decent picks. Its been tough but rebuild seems to be near the end. Pens had a great run at least with this core.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
If Sid wants a lucrative deal that will provide him everything he wants and then some, he's certainly come to the right GM.
3 years, 10 million is "lucrative"? ...k, if you say so sport, it's ok to be wrong and all but you're so far off the map you've reached a new undiscovered continent.

Reactions: 57special

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

But the right move is to trade him, because as long as Sid, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson etc. are there they are going to be where they have been the last 2 years.

Sid re-signing or being moved doesn't change the fact Malkin, Letang, Karlsson and Rust are still on the books. So I'm not sure why moving HIM of all people is the smart move, considering the others will still be there. And even without Sid, those guys being there will keep the Pens in that "not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to get 1st overall" range.

Besides, it's rumored to be a 3-year extension. It's not like they're re-signing him for another 8 years. Whether the rebuild starts now, next year or when his extension ends, it doesn't really change much. HF is way too obsessed with rebuilds and having to IMMEDIATELY start one when a player gets too old or a team's core is a bit too old.

Reactions: Gurglesons

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, I could see Sid being traded if it becomes obvious that PIT isn't a Cup contender, and he requests a trade to an out of division, or better yet, out of Conference team. I mean, it's becoming kind of clear to most of us that PIT is already in that spot, but players and teams tend to be overly optimistic about their chances - that's the way they are built.

Trading Sid w/o his blessing would risk turning off the fan base. PIT can't afford that.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I mean, I could see Sid being traded if it becomes obvious that PIT isn't a Cup contender, and he requests a trade to an out of division, or better yet, out of Conference team. I mean, it's becoming kind of clear to most of us that PIT is already in that spot, but players and teams tend to be overly optimistic about their chances - that's the way they are built.

Trading Sid w/o his blessing would risk turning off the fan base. PIT can't afford that.
What do you mean if it becomes obvious PIT isn’t a cup contender? I think that became obvious quite some time ago

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm sure this is exciting for the Pens and their fans but it would be way more interesting/entertaining for the rest of us if he went somewhere else to cup chase . The Pens will be stuck in no man's land as long as Crosby is there producing.
They'll also fill seats and have the best possible mentor for young players.

The whole league would've liked Mario to change teams in the end too.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Trades Guentzel but extending Crosby.

What 57+ years of no Stanley Cup does to a mf

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Total waste of the last part of his career, but he's earned it so good for him, still sucks as a Hockey fan.

Reactions: Dominance

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Good for him and Pittsburgh!

Crosby has been good to the fans and the fans have been good to him.

I admire that kind of loyalty and commitment and wish it was more prevalent in the league. And people can say he's choosing stability over a cup run but he's Crosby. He'll still be one of the most competitive player in the league and do his best.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Crosby has earned the right to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Also, Pittsburgh has earned the right keep their franchise top 5 player of all time on the roster until the end. From a business stand point and just by virtue of Crosby = Pittsburgh it feels right.

But.....from a hockey standpoint, and probably long term....this is not the best decision for Pittsburgh. Their cup window is shut. Crosby will retire a Pen....all the feels will be there...and after that, without recouping what they could right now by trading him, they will be lost.
Dark days are on the horizon for Pittsburgh when Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson exit.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Surprising how many people don’t get that he’s essentially going to be with the Penguins organization for life. He’s going to retire one and then likely move right into some position inside the franchise. Makes little sense to have that transition be interrupted by being involved with some other team.

Reactions: sanscosm

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The Pittsburgh Penguins are a business, the best business move is to keep Crosby and capitalize on him for the last few years.

Sure, hockey wise, it might be better to rebuild now and maximize the value of the player by getting prime assets for him. However, it comes at a risk. Crosby is a know commodity. His last few years and the milestones he can reach will sell more tickets than a rebuilding team. Might as well, cash in on that and rebuild later. You'll have to rebuild anyway.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby has earned the right to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Also, Pittsburgh has earned the right keep their franchise top 5 player of all time on the roster until the end. From a business stand point and just by virtue of Crosby = Pittsburgh it feels right.

But.....from a hockey standpoint, and probably long term....this is not the best decision for Pittsburgh. Their cup window is shut. Crosby will retire a Pen....all the feels will be there...and after that, without recouping what they could right now by trading him, they will be lost.
Dark days are on the horizon for Pittsburgh when Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson exit.

Crosby's not bringing back nearly enough in a trade to change how their future is going to look.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but Patrick Kane was traded for a 2nd as a rental. Crosby's not bringing back any sort of return that notably impacts the future rebuild that is coming.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Surprising how many people don’t get that he’s essentially going to be with the Penguins organization for life. He’s going to retire one and then likely move right into some position inside the franchise. Makes little sense to have that transition be interrupted by being involved with some other team.

Doubt it, he hasn't really mentioned any desire or given any notion he wants to get into any position, don't get me wrong it'll 100% be there if he wants it obviously, he's notoriously reclusive and prefers to keep to himself, I think the only time post retirement he'll show up would be his jersey retirement along with ones for 58, 71, 29, Mario's fantasy camps/ Alumni games, and the odd Cup reunion celebrations.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i can only think of 2 franchises that Sid would, if forced to, want to play for other than Pittsburgh and neither of them are flush with cap space or assets. So the Pens would be 1) retaining 2) taking back salary 3) receiving nothing but draft capital from a team that is going to finish top-4 in the league for AT LEAST the remainder of Sid's career.

So we're talking like the 28th overall pick at best?

If this was the NBA where getting picks and swaps well into the future was more of a norm, maybe it makes sense, but getting a 2026 1st from the Avs isn't really kick starting the rebuild.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It would have been cool to see him go to a more competitive team while he’s still very good, but I can see why he wants to keep his legacy as a Pen. Either way it’s good for the league that he wants to continue playing that long. I know some fans thought he might retire at the end of his current deal which would be leaving a lot of good hockey on the table.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
It's not an apples to apples comparison, but Patrick Kane was traded for a 2nd as a rental. Crosby's not bringing back any sort of return that notably impacts the future rebuild that is coming.

I have red and black colored glasses about Patrick Kane but I think you're underselling Crosby here. His position is at a premium compared to Kane's and he just straight up has had better more productive seasons lately with regards to Goals, Assists, and Games Played. I think he'd get at least the equivalent of 2 first round picks.

PlayerSeasonGPGAP
Patrick Kane2020 - 2021
56​
15​
51​
66​
Sidney Crosby2020 - 2021
55​
24​
38​
62​
Patrick Kane2021 - 2022
78​
26​
66​
92​
Sidney Crosby2021 - 2022
69​
31​
53​
84​
Patrick Kane2022 - 2023
73​
21​
36​
57​
Sidney Crosby2022 - 2023
82​
33​
60​
93​
Patrick Kane2023 - 2024
50​
20​
27​
47​
Sidney Crosby2023 - 2024
82​
42​
52​
94​

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I have red and black colored glasses about Patrick Kane but I think you're underselling Crosby here. His position is at a premium compared to Kane's and he just straight up has had better more productive seasons lately with regards to Goals, Assists, and Games Played. I think he'd get at least the equivalent of 2 first round picks.

PlayerSeasonGPGAP
Patrick Kane2020 - 2021
56​
15​
51​
66​
Sidney Crosby2020 - 2021
55​
24​
38​
62​
Patrick Kane2021 - 2022
78​
26​
66​
92​
Sidney Crosby2021 - 2022
69​
31​
53​
84​
Patrick Kane2022 - 2023
73​
21​
36​
57​
Sidney Crosby2022 - 2023
82​
33​
60​
93​
Patrick Kane2023 - 2024
50​
20​
27​
47​
Sidney Crosby2023 - 2024
82​
42​
52​
94​
Full NMC and large cap hit rental means the return would be small both ways.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Doubt it, he hasn't really mentioned any desire or given any notion he wants to get into any position, don't get me wrong it'll 100% be there if he wants it, he's notoriously quiet and reclusive and prefers to keep to himself, I think the only time post retirement he'd show up would be his jersey retirement along with ones for 58, 71, 29, Mario's fantasy camps, and the odd Cup reunion celebrations.

People obsessed with being the best at their craft usually don’t totally exit the game after retirement and Crosby has always struck me as such a person. Time will tell of course.

Reactions: uncleben

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

PlayerSeasonGPGAP
Patrick Kane2020 - 2021
56​
15​
51​
66​
Sidney Crosby2020 - 2021
55​
24​
38​
62​
Patrick Kane2021 - 2022
78​
26​
66​
92​
Sidney Crosby2021 - 2022
69​
31​
53​
84​
Patrick Kane2022 - 2023
73​
21​
36​
57​
Sidney Crosby2022 - 2023
82​
33​
60​
93​
Patrick Kane2023 - 2024
50​
20​
27​
47​
Sidney Crosby2023 - 2024
82​
42​
52​
94​

His NMC and ability to pick any location he goes to kills any sort of notable value he has.

I think a late 1st and a decent prospect would be the absolute max he could bring back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad