Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'm sure this is exciting for the Pens and their fans but it would be way more interesting/entertaining for the rest of us if he went somewhere else to cup chase . The Pens will be stuck in no man's land as long as Crosby is there producing.
He doesn't need to chase the cup though. He has 3 of them.

This is one of the best players of arguably all time, staying as a career Penguin. Trading him would be silly as all hell and a whole bunch of other things.

That's sad. He will never accomplish anything significant as a Penguin, except individual points.

Maybe the target is 2000 career points.

Crosby will keep the team in mediocrity, when they should start tanking again. Their destiny will remind so much of 2017-2020 Red Wings...

It will create a long rebuild. Very long.
Lolwut?

Reactions: 57special

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I know it's Crosby and they don't really have a choice, but signing him to an extension will only prolong their stay in mediocrity. It'll likely be close to a decade before they're a relevant hockey team again, and that's if things go well when they start rebuilding in a few years.

Reactions: NVious

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
How are the Penguins "pissing away their future" with the strategy they've laid out?

From every indication I've seen, they're not going to be trading futures anymore to make the team as good as possible. They're just not trading their core.
They should've stopped trading futures and doubling down on this old core like 3 years ago.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Guentzel had no desire to re-sign here, he told Dubas that when they met last the summer, he WANTED to test free agency, as I already stated how he hell is that so difficult for you people to comprehend or understand?

On these forums it's always the team's fault for "letting" a player leave. What the player wants is irrelevant, it's all on the team for not forcing him to stay.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They should've stopped trading futures and doubling down on this old core like 3 years ago.

That's true, but they're finally not doing that anymore. It's a few years too late but they're actually making the moves they should be making now.

I know it's Crosby and they don't really have a choice, but signing him to an extension will only prolong their stay in mediocrity. It'll likely be close to a decade before they're a relevant hockey team again, and that's if things go well when they start rebuilding in a few years.

The Penguins already have Malkin signed for 2 more years and Letang signed for 4 more years. I don't see how re-signing Crosby does anything to change the path that they've already been on.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pens attending the Chicago Blackhawks school of "let's piss away our future to say thanks to players for 3 cups."

Crosby is a legend so I'm happy he's getting whatever he wants if staying in Pitt is indeed that but management should view winning hockey clubs as their job first and foremost.

They will miss playoffs for the remaining 4 years Crosby's career (bringing it to 6 straight misses) and then post Crosby/Malkin will be one of the worst teams in the league for god knows how long since they have no prospects or good young players. This could end up as like a 15 year playoff drought kinda ineptitude.

People laughed but approaching Crosby with a trade to the Avs when they badly needed a #2 C and had cap space made so much sense. Could have gotten one or two 1st round picks and a decent prospect and commit to the rebuild asap.

Why does a competitive guy like Crosby want to miss the playoffs for 6 straight years anyways as opposed to chasing cups?
I promise you that no Penguins fan gives a f*** about what kind of magic beans they could’ve received in a trade 2 years ago. This isn’t just some guy who had a few good years, we’re talking about a franchise icon and top 10 player of all time. His value to the team and city exceeds what could tangibly be traded for him
You will struggle to find a penguins fan that cares about this possibility

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Pens attending the Chicago Blackhawks school of "let's piss away our future to say thanks to players for 3 cups."

Crosby is a legend so I'm happy he's getting whatever he wants if staying in Pitt is indeed that but management should view winning hockey clubs as their job first and foremost.

They will miss playoffs for the remaining 4 years Crosby's career (bringing it to 6 straight misses) and then post Crosby/Malkin will be one of the worst teams in the league for god knows how long since they have no prospects or good young players. This could end up as like a 15 year playoff drought kinda ineptitude.

People laughed but approaching Crosby with a trade to the Avs when they badly needed a #2 C and had cap space made so much sense. Could have gotten one or two 1st round picks and a decent prospect and commit to the rebuild asap.

Why does a competitive guy like Crosby want to miss the playoffs for 6 straight years anyways as opposed to chasing cups?
You seem to have this notion that a dynasty team can't build itself back up by keeping Sidney Crosby.

Of all the players to move on from on that Penguins dynasty, Crosby makes the least amount of sense. He was the face of hockey, has been the face of the franchise since 06, brought the entire franchise back to relevance with 3 cups, and was a national hero clinching gold on home ice.

He's the one guy you keep, imo. The guy that shows the new guard, whomever that ends up being, how to do things. That sort of veteran leadership, and I'd argue a top player of all time is more than simple veteran leadership, is 100% indispensable.

I don't know how anyone could even have the thought, let alone argue for trading Sidney Crosby.

If players like him want to retire with their team, you say yessir, thank you sir, here's the dotted line. As an Oiler fan I can only pray that McDavid does the same thing, and I wouldn't care if they went back to DoD levels in the twilight of his career. I keep him forever.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
thankfully they have 3 cups and a ton of memories to live with for now and THE LEAGUE ISN'T ENDING IN 3 YEARS.

Why are so many people fixated on when the rebuild will start? It'll start when it starts and the league will be there when it does.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I genuinely think some on this site have brain damage if you have to ask “why would you extend Crosby if you’re rebuilding?”.

Crosby has won literally everything he could possibly win in his career. Him being a Penguins lifer and guiding the next generation is worth far more than the return you’d get for trading him. It’s no different than when the Penguins kept Lemieux in the early 2000s.
People must just be intentionally obtuse. Either that, or the value of a player like Crosby spending his whole career with the franchise he started on is just lost on people anymore.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The other aspect I don't understand here is how does re-signing Crosby have any sort of impact on how long the Penguins rebuild takes? Their prospect pool is what it is regardless of what they decide to do with Crosby, and any sort of return they'd get for Crosby (if they'd go that route) isn't going to notably improve their prospect pool either. They're not getting an A prospects and 3 1sts for Crosby.

Re-signing Crosby just means their tear-down rebuild starts in 2-3 years rather than today. Which has no bearing on how long it takes them to rebuild, it just impacts when their rebuild starts.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
Love it. Players staying their whole career on one team is rare nowadays. I love that sort of commitment, from both player and organisation. Call it heart, love, respect, loyalty... whatever. It's bigger and more important than wins, asset management and trophies in my mind. Congrats Pens fans!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I get why they are doing this It's Sid.

But the right move is to trade him, because as long as Sid, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson etc. are there they are going to be where they have been the last 2 years.

Not good enough to be in the playoffs

Not bad enough to get high picks.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The other aspect I don't understand here is how does re-signing Crosby have any sort of impact on how long the Penguins rebuild takes? Their prospect pool is what it is regardless of what they decide to do with Crosby, and any sort of return they'd get for Crosby (if they'd go that route) isn't going to notably improve their prospect pool either. They're not getting an A prospects and 3 1sts for Crosby.

Re-signing Crosby just means their tear-down rebuild starts in 2-3 years rather than today. Which has no bearing on how long it takes them to rebuild, it just impacts when their rebuild starts.
and, we need to be clear, 2025 is the first time the Pens will have their own 1st round pick in the last 69 years. This is literally the first time they could start a rebuild, and even then it doesn't make sense unless you could also move Letang, Malkin, and EK. Otherwise you're letting the face of the league walk for nothing (i know, he's under contract for 1 more year. I don't think you're getting a huge haul for 1 year of Crosby from what will almost certainly be a list of 2 teams he'd want to play for) AND you're probably not picking top-5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
thankfully they have 3 cups and a ton of memories to live with for now and THE LEAGUE ISN'T ENDING IN 3 YEARS.

Why are so many people fixated on when the rebuild will start? It'll start when it starts and the league will be there when it does.
Seriously. HF's obsession with "start the rebuild NOW or you'll regret it" is weird.

Besides, a "rebuild" only is as good as the organization rebuilding it. A good organization can turn a rebuild around in short order, while a bad organization will do what a team like Buffalo has been doing.

The Pens and most Pens fans are glad to see Crosby play out his career in Pittsburgh. Sure, a part of me would like to see him move on for *his* sake to move up the all-time playoff points leaderboard. But at the same time, I'm not upset that the Pens don't force him out.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Seriously. HF's obsession with "start the rebuild NOW or you'll regret it" is weird.

Besides, a "rebuild" only is as good as the organization rebuilding it. A good organization can turn a rebuild around in short order, while a bad organization will do what a team like Buffalo has been doing.

The Pens and most Pens fans are glad to see Crosby play out his career in Pittsburgh. Sure, a part of me would like to see him move on for *his* sake to move up the all-time playoff points leaderboard. But at the same time, I'm not upset that the Pens don't force him out.
Yes, the only part of this that's a little "off" to me is that I believe Sid is hamstringing his ability to climb the regular and post-season record books. But if it's what HE wants, who the f*** am I to care?

Reactions: Sideline

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
... Ok we'll spell this out since you seem to be failing to grasp the obvious here and that's ok.

One simpley had no intrest at all in re-signing when the GM met him over the summer and and later in the year, so instead of losing said valuble asset he was then traded for some people rather then getting nothing, the other who just so happends to be the 2nd best player to ever wear the uniform has gone on recored countless times about how he loves the city, loves playing here, won here, had that great big new arena built largey because of him and made enough money off his merch sales, endorsement deals and contracts that money basicly means shit to him and everyone's been great to him, his family and WANTS to retire here and nowhere else. Does that get though that coconut of yors now?
I get that, thanks.

But you were making it out to be as if the other poster was suggesting trading Crosby and keeping Guentzel when in fact they were wondering why trade Guentzel at all if they want to keep Crosby around to still compete.
The answer to that, as you have pointed out numerous times, is that apparently it was Guentzel who wanted out to test free agency, and Dubas was maximizing his assets instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Not everybody knows the nuances of the Penguins as you seem to.
Some people do not have that information and were wondering.
You being condescending and telling people they lack comprehension skills is not helpful.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
For Penguins all time leader stat categories he's... 98 goals away, 29 assists away, and 127 points away. Assuming health I think he's got no problem with surpassing all of those. He's also probably going to finish with 1500 games played as a Penguin.

I'd love to see him sign with Colorado, play with MacK, and chase some Cups but him retiring as a lifelong Penguin would be really cool for that fanbase.

Reactions: NeonKnight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good for Crosby and the Pens, hopefully he hits 2000 points with one team.
404 points in 4 seasons? Unlikely. Starting at age 37 to achieve that? He's gotten 93 and 94 points the past 2 seasons. Going to be at least 30-40 points short IMO after these 4 seasons.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Sid: "I love it here, I won here, I've made enough money to set me and my family for life, the city and franchise have been nothing but great to me and my whole family my entire career and I want to repay them and finish my career here and sign for basically nothing as a thank you."
HFBoards: "PACK YOUR SHIT AND GTFO!, WE DONT CARE!, CHASE ANOTHER CUP! REBUILD!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad