Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Winning one more Cup with the Oilers or the Stars isn't going to change Crosby's legacy. He's won everything already. If he wants to be the Mario to the Penguins next generation of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang he's earned it and got nothing left to prove to anyone else anyway.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
yeah because Guentzel is more valuable then the franchise's all time leader in games, 2nd all time leading scorer/ point scorer, face of the franchise and the guy who sells all the tickets, guy who spoke out REPEATEDLY he has no intentions or desire to leave actually legitimately loves the city, and stated from day one he planed to play his entire career here. [MOD]
... I don't think they were suggesting they should have extended Guentzel and traded Crosby instead

I think they're saying extending Crosby implies they still want to compete, but trading Guentzel implies they're ready to rebuild

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure what is the logic behind paying a 40 year old Crosby 10 M when you have no hope of winning and no future.
Unless the Pens organization wanted to be the "villain" here and tell Sid, no, you're done, they had no choice but to accept whatever Sid's decision was. If he said, I want to leave, they'd move him to his desired destination(s). If he wanted to stay, they'd have to sign him because they wouldn't want the hate from the media/fanbase if it was released that Sid wanted to stay but the team said no.

Just curious what Sid expects the Pens to be over these next 4 seasons.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
That's sad. He will never accomplish anything significant as a Penguin, except individual points.

Maybe the target is 2000 career points.

Crosby will keep the team in mediocrity, when they shouuld start tanking again. Their destiny will remind so much of 2017-2020 Red Wings...
Wow that is nasty

Reactions: sanscosm

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I genuinely think some on this site have brain damage if you have to ask “why would you extend Crosby if you’re rebuilding?”.

Crosby has won literally everything he could possibly win in his career. Him being a Penguins lifer and guiding the next generation is worth far more than the return you’d get for trading him. It’s no different than when the Penguins kept Lemieux in the early 2000s.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Disappointing if true for league and Crosby himself. He's still a great player and will toil away his last years on a team he loves though is not and won't be competitive. Congrats to him if though if he's happy and the fans that don't want him to put on another jersey.
There's something to be said when it's all said and done a player plays for one team his entire career.
Pro sports is scattered with legends that bailed on their team in their twilight for greener pastures only to end up tarnishing their legacy and becoming a bit of a joke.

With the cap going up massively, who's to say in two or three years the pens don't look a lot different than they do today? Odds are this group never adds another cup but it would be one hell of a story.
I'd much rather like to see the pens do it over TB after how the whole Stamkos saga played out.

Loyalty seems to be a fleeting thing and to me that kind of sucks.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I genuinely think some on this site have brain damage if you have to ask “why would you extend Crosby if you’re rebuilding?”.

Crosby has won literally everything he could possibly win in his career. Him being a Penguins lifer and guiding the next generation is worth far more than the return you’d get for trading him. It’s no different than when the Penguins kept Lemieux in the early 2000s.
Yeah, there are l players like him who deserve a contract for life. As long as Crosby wants to be a Penguin, he’ll be extended.

Although there are some weird exceptions to this thought process, Tom Brady being the latest

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Unless the Pens organization wanted to be the "villain" here and tell Sid, no, you're done, they had no choice but to accept whatever Sid's decision was. If he said, I want to leave, they'd move him to his desired destination(s). If he wanted to stay, they'd have to sign him because they wouldn't want the hate from the media/fanbase if it was released that Sid wanted to stay but the team said no.

Just curious what Sid expects the Pens to be over these next 4 seasons.
I would think that a team that only sells out a few games per season wants to improve the product on the ice, which won't happen with a 10 m per 40 year old.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
That's sad. He will never accomplish anything significant as a Penguin, except individual points.

Crosby will keep the team in mediocrity, when they should start tanking again. Their destiny will remind so much of 2017-2020 Red Wings...

It will create a long rebuild. Very long.
So sad, only won more Cups than Lemieux and is sticking around to help the next wave during the rebuild. Truly tragic, thanks for your concern.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
... I don't think they were suggesting they should have extended Guentzel and traded Crosby instead

I think they're saying extending Crosby implies they still want to compete, but trading Guentzel implies they're ready to rebuild
... Ok we'll spell this out since you seem to be failing to grasp the obvious here and that's ok.

One simpley had no intrest at all in re-signing when the GM met him over the summer and and later in the year, so instead of losing said valuble asset he was then traded for some people rather then getting nothing, the other who just so happends to be the 2nd best player to ever wear the uniform has gone on recored countless times about how he loves the city, loves playing here, won here, had that great big new arena built largey because of him and made enough money off his merch sales, endorsement deals and contracts that money basicly means shit to him and everyone's been great to him, his family and WANTS to retire here and nowhere else. Does that get though that coconut of yors now?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Crosby will keep the team in mediocrity, when they should start tanking again. Their destiny will remind so much of 2017-2020 Red Wings...

Is it really that big of a deal? The guy single handedly brought that franchise multiple championships. He is the sole reason the Penguins are still even playing in Pittsburgh to this day. That franchise owes him everything.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Sid is 404 points away from 2000. That's 101 per season when he's come off a pair of low-mid 90 point seasons. He'll likely at best finish 30-40 points short of 2000 after 4 more seasons (when he finishes at age 41). He'll hit 600 goals, maybe 700 with Pitt over these 4 seasons. That's only less than 30 goals per season for him.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
One's the second best player in the franchise and one's a very good winger, there's a clear difference lol
I'm a huge Crosby fan, but if the plan was to keep competing and contending for a cup, why trade Guentzel ? A guy who wanted to stay, elite winger who has great chemistry with Crosby. Just doesn't make sense, moving Guentzel suggested they're gonna rebuild, but then extending Crosby ? They will be too good to be a bottom team for a high pick, but not good enough to contend for a cup. This will just keep the Pens in no mans land, I don't understand it.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Crosby will keep butts in arena seats as the Pens start their rebuild. He's won it all and has no interest in cup chasing. It makes sense for him to finish his career in Pittsburgh, and it makes sense that the Pens would prioritize keeping him even as they start to suck.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
yeah because Guentzel is more valuable then the franchise's all time leader in games, 2nd all time leading scorer/ point scorer, face of the franchise and the guy who sells all the tickets, guy who spoke out REPEATEDLY he has no intentions or desire to leave actually legitimately loves the city, and stated from day one he planed to play his entire career here. [MOD]
If the plan was to try and compete for another cup with Crosby, why trade his best winger ? Who's much younger and elite and wanted to stay there ? There's no clear direction, I don't understand what Dubas is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad