Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
pulp-fiction-wtf.gif

What's so objectionable about the question?
You stated, when was the last time someone like Crosby was traded. I never said he will leave, or will get traded. I said should. Since you focused on Crosby level talent, let's look at the other big 4. I consider Crosby #5.

Wayne Gretzky was traded in 1988. Arguable at his peak. Edmonton won the cup the next year. A couple years later, they traded another cornerstone, Messier. They missed the playoffs for the next 4 years, but rebounded nicely towards the end of the 90's.

In 1970/71 Gordie Howe left the Red Wings with nothing in return. They made the Playoffs once in the next 13 years.

Bobby Orr was done with the Bruins in 76 when he walked away with no return. The Bruins maintained a very good team despite losing him for nothing.

Finally, Mario. Penguins had a nice run, partly due to Jagr and their depth when Mario left in 97. When he returned ironically, the product slid and the team was on the verge of folding before the luckiest lottery bounce in league history went their way.

Is it an exact science? Nope. Could they do fine, if Crosby and Malkin and Letang walk for nothing, sure. Do I think they will? No. I think they will be more like the Redwings from the list above.

The question is long term success or short term success.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I don't understand the rationale behind him cup chasing. I know he's an uber competitive guy, but has there ever been another guy that's won 3 cups and went chasing more in his late 30s?

His legacy is cemented and he has nothing else to prove, it just doesn't make sense to me.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
He's gonna be 37 and has 3 Cups already, why would he chase Cups when he can stay with Pittsburgh for the rest of his career? His legacy is a Penguin and he'll keep it that way until he retires.

This isn't like Jarome Iginla where he never won a Cup in Calgary so he got traded to try and go get a Cup.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He's gonna be 37 and has 3 Cups already, why would he chase Cups when he can stay with Pittsburgh for the rest of his career? His legacy is a Penguin and he'll keep it that way until he retires.

This isn't like Jarome Iginla where he never won a Cup in Calgary so he got traded to try and go get a Cup.

Being the all time pens leading scorer is a big deal

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

He's an ultra competetive guy. I can't see the Penguins making the kind of moves to attempt to win a cup any further. I guess he's happy with focusing on international competetion and cruising with the Penguins, but I can't see him being overly happy with that.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
They should have done that back when he signed his current deal. Now, there is no value in taking less for Sid. Unless he was going to add a couple of "dead years" to maybe get LTIR money or something, but that's not really Sid like. That extra $1.3 mill or whatever isn't going to be the difference between Pitt making/not making the PO in those 3 seasons.

If this contract is the last for him, he would have earned up to age 41, 3 years at $10 mill based on the current numbers we are hearing, 3 year ELC money (back then it was what like under $900K base with bonuses that maxed out to like $7.5 mill give or take?), then 17 years at $8.7 million. So, if ELC was say $8 mill max, he could have earned like $186 mill over 23 years.
I don't think he even really takes part in it, his agent is doing the talking of course. I mean he has the final word to sign the contract, but i don't think he's personally involved when money is being discussed.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Makes sense for him to stay.

Pens were 3 points out of a playoff spot.
I don’t think they’re in as bad of shape as a lot of other people here

Get that powerplay out of the basement and they make the playoffs last year easily.

Fire Sullivan, make playoffs. Who knows what happens when you get there

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This isn't surprising. He already won three cups and sees value in being a one club man like Sakic and Yzerman. Sure winning another one would be nice but that wouldn't make a difference when it comes to his legacy if were being honest.

Hes spent almost 20 years in that city, hes a hero to many there and is already set for life financially.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could you imagine him getting Malkin to re-sign only to bounce when it’s his turn for a contract extension?
Malkin at 2 years if retained, could he get moved? Probably yes. The 2 Dmen, are harder to move. Letang due to term of 4 years with just $1 mill in salary in each of the final 2 years and 3 years of EK at a current $10 mill cap charge are much harder to move.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We all knew he was going to but would have been nice if we traded him to a contender and have actual good wingers. Crosby will never sniff the playoffs again. If it was me? i'd wanna go out a winner or at least try.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

That's like a rich guy not wanting to make more money, he has enough so why would he want more?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Crosby will chase the Penguins all-time point record, which he'll probably get in another 1 1/2 - 2 seasons. After that I could still see him requesting a trade to have one last hurrah if the Penguins are really bad, but chances are he'll retire when he's 39/40 with the Pens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby in a trade can bring you significant futures. If it was done this summer.

Habs for example offer an abundance of draft capital and depth on D.

With the added cap space, Pittsburgh can chase a younger UFA if they please or go full rebuild.

Same thing applies to Malkin and Letang.

If those guys just walk into retirement...it is a very dark hole to climb out of with no assets to trade and vacant prospect pool.
If the entire point of Crosby being traded (from his perspective) is to chase more playoff success/Cups, then why the hell is he going to Montreal? Even with Pittsburgh's "disappointing" last two seasons, they finished well ahead of Montreal both years.

So if the entire point of him moving on rather than sticking around is to chase more Cups, then bringing up a team like Montreal makes zero sense. Colorado is the only team I've seen mentioned that actually fits the rationale for him wanting out.

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We all knew he was going to but would have been nice if we traded him to a contender and have actual good wingers. Crosby will never sniff the playoffs again. If it was me? i'd wanna go out a winner or at least try.

Would you rather a chance at a 4th cup somewhere, or legacy 1 team and the all time points record.

I think I would rather the points

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Would you rather a chance at a 4th cup somewhere, or legacy 1 team and the all time points record.

I think I would rather the points
I don't care about legacies, I prefer winning but that's me. 4 cups is better then 3, also more points in the season with better wingers.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
People have been so focused on Ovechkin's pursuit of Gretzky's goals record, they haven't yet realized that Crosby intends to play until he's the all-time points leader

• Love
Reactions: uncleben

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
Honestly I was thinking maybe he wants to join a Canadian team and be the one who brings the cup back here (Canucks or Edmonton realistically). That would cement his legacy in Canada for sure. But on an expiring deal or year to year basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad