Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Not sure I see the difference between the two charts you posted lol.

Trenin is a completely different ballgame as indicated above.

Trenin is an ideal bottom six player for what this team needs. Ideally we'd be moving Acciari or Eller if we bring him in.

I mean your are just ignoring things then. The almost everything on the chart is cut in half. I don't care how great he is at PK and forecheck. no one is giving him 3x3 and you'd be a fool if you did.

He will get around half of that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean your are just ignoring things then. The almost everything on the chart is cut in half. I don't care how great he is at PK and forecheck. no one is giving him 3x3 and you'd be a fool if you did.

He will get around half of that.

Are you reading the chart or just the top?

1716576014492.png

1716576036021.png

He's bottom of the league in everything listed lol.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Are you reading the chart or just the top?

View attachment 875310
View attachment 875311

He's bottom of the league in everything listed lol.

No I am looking at shots and goals specifically since thats a huge issue in the bottom 6. The whole side left side craters in half. Again Trenin has better analytics I am not arguing that. If you move Acciari for Trenin sure. But paying Trenin that is dumb and paying Trenin and Acciari that is absolutely idiotic.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No I am looking at shots and goals specifically since thats a huge issue in the bottom 6. The whole side left side craters in half. Again Trenin has better analytics I am not arguing that. If you move Acciari for Trenin sure. But paying Trenin that is dumb and paying Trenin and Acciari that is absolutely idiotic.

Shots and goals are not repeatable for these types of players.

I'd rather invest in process than results. Trenin's process is what we need in our bottom six. Having him helping drive play in the bottom six will allow Acciari to better succeed, especially if he is played at wing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't mind bringing in Trenin for the L4 role because he does bring an element that the 4th line needs, I just don't support adding him on top of also having Eller and Acciari on L4. Especially not at basically $3 million when you're already paying Eller and Acciari $4.5 million combined.

If they're doing that, it would have to be something like Trenin-Poulin-Acciari to keep the money down. That looks fairly similar to the Mikheyev-Poulin-Acciari line that I would be happy with.

Reactions: Darren McCord

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens move Smith and they have 17 to 18 million to use. Stephenson, Trenin are what 6 to 8 million in AAV. Even if a little higher, they both bring much needed size and grit and jam. Acciari is down to a 2 year deal and at RW fourth line that with Trenin and say Poulin has nice assets that Pens don't have enough of.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno RR
Stephenson Eller Puustinen
Trenin Poulin Acciari.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakell67

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't mind bringing in Trenin for the L4 role because he does bring an element that the 4th line needs, I just don't support adding him on top of also having Eller and Acciari on L4. Especially not at basically $3 million when you're already paying Eller and Acciari $4.5 million combined.

If they're doing that, it would have to be something like Trenin-Poulin-Acciari to keep the money down. That looks fairly similar to the Mikheyev-Poulin-Acciari line that I would be happy with.

I honestly don't really care where we are saving cap.

If you bring in RV at 3 million for your top six hole it helps.

Ideally you are moving off one of Eller or Acciari, but if that doesn't happen you fill our your third line with DOC and Puustinen and you are paying sub 6 million in the proposed roster.

Pens move Smith and they have 17 to 18 million to use. Stephenson, Trenin are what 4 to 5 million in AAV. Even if a little higher, they both bring much needed size and grit and jam. Acciari is down to a 2 year deal and at RW fourth line that with Trenin and say Poulin has nice assets that Pens don't have enough of.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno RR
Trenin Poulin Acciari.

Exactly. The Penguins need to worry more about process than names and cap.

Also, Trenin is the type of low cost contracts that will bring us back assets in the inevitable dark years. If you get Trenin at 2.95 x 3 you can easily recoup a 3rd or something in year 3 of that contract for nothing.

Honestly wouldn't be shocked if some team signs Trenin to a like 2.75 x 6 year deal or something insane.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Shots and goals are not repeatable for these types of players.

I'd rather invest in process than results. Trenin's process is what we need in our bottom six. Having him helping drive play in the bottom six will allow Acciari to better succeed, especially if he is played at wing.

Ehh you line up is just repeating the same issue. Bringing in older guys to block any chance of sullivan playing youth. It looks like just as flawed of a team. And its relying alot or RV who dealt with a ton of injuries last year to bounce back.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ehh you line up is just repeating the same issue. Bringing in older guys to block any chance of sullivan playing youth. It looks like just as flawed of a team. And its relying alot or RV who dealt with a ton of injuries last year to bounce back.

RV is 31. He had 18 in 23 games last season. That's a cheap add that could easily be a 60+ pt player.

Sullivan is always going to play older guys over youth. Trenin isn't old. He was born a year before DOC.

Trenin at 27 on a 3 year deal means he is 31 when his deal is up.

I can't prevent Dubas from signing Eller and Acciari last year. Those are players we are stuck with. If we move out Eller or Acciari this summer I'll be stoked, but I don't see it happening.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
RV is 31. He had 18 in 23 games last season. That's a cheap add that could easily be a 60+ pt player.

Sullivan is always going to play older guys over youth. Trenin isn't old. He was born a year before DOC.

Trenin at 27 on a 3 year deal means he is 31 when his deal is up.

I can't prevent Dubas from signing Eller and Acciari last year. Those are players we are stuck with. If we move out Eller or Acciari this summer I'll be stoked, but I don't see it happening.

I get what you are doing but I just dont want them filling out the whole roster in UFA. I would like them to have one or 2 legit options open in camp.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I get what your are doing but I just dont want them filling out the whole roster in UFA. I would like them to have one or 2 legit options open in camp.

Then we wouldn't really be doing anything this summer up front.

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Smith - Eller - Puustinen
Poulin - Acciari - Pulju

You are basically leaving open the 4th line unless you can trade Eller.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Then we wouldn't really be doing anything this summer up front.

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Smith - Eller - Puustinen
Poulin - Acciari - Pulju

You are basically leaving open the 4th line unless you can trade Eller.

I like the colton acquisition and I agree with moving Smith. I'd rather take Trenin money though and use it to try and swing bigger in the top 6 if possible or use it on defense. But also not against RV.

I just would rather leave the 4th line open if you could move Acciari. Heck I would even give Yager a solid look in camp.

Rakell - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - RV/UFA
DOC - Colton - Puustinen
XXX - Eller - XXX

Pulju/Pono/Poulin/Koivunen/Broz

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like the colton acquisition and I agree with moving Smith. I'd rather take Trenin money though and use it to try and swing bigger in the top 6 if possible or use it on defense. But also not against RV.

I just would rather leave the 4th line open if you could move Acciari. Heck I would even give Yager a solid look in camp.

Rakell - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - RV/UFA
DOC - Colton - Puustinen
XXX - Eller - XXX

Pulju/Pono/Poulin/Koivunen/Broz

The issue is that there are no players that are worth spending that type of money on in UFA.

I'm aligned with your mindset, but the point of the roster is "what is realistic".

We realistically do not have the assets to compete for a big addition at LHD or in our top six.

If we can move Acciari or Eller, I'm all about it.

The idea with Trenin would be bringing in a player that can support and play driver for when Pono or Poulin inevitably gets that 4C role.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The issue is that there are no players that are worth spending that type of money on in UFA.

I'm aligned with your mindset, but the point of the roster is "what is realistic".

We realistically do not have the assets to compete for a big addition at LHD or in our top six.

The idea with Trenin would be bringing in a player that can support and play driver for when Pono or Poulin inevitably gets that 4C role.

Ya it makes sense. I'm just scared from sullivan. Waiting for a line of Trenin - Eller - Accairi to get 8 min a night and 99% ozone starts. So you pay 9 million for like 10pts.

Then you burn out the top 6 again by playing them way to much. And the third line gets no identity but you bench Puusy just because and double shift eller.

Oo and for reason Eller is on the top PP by Nov because RV doesn't play the right way.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Yeah we can’t give out big contracts to non elite players otherwise we risk this happening (we don’t have a lot of time or wiggle room) 👇

IMG_9512.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: SEALBound

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ya it makes sense. I'm just scared from sullivan. Waiting for a line of Trenin - Eller - Accairi to get 8 min a night and 99% ozone starts. So you pay 9 million for like 10pts.

Then you burn out the top 6 again by playing them way to much. And the third line gets no identity but you bench Puusy just because and double shift eller.

Oo and for reason Eller is on the top PP by Nov because RV doesn't play the right way.

I'd actually much rather have a line like Trenin - Eller - Accairi than anything else we can isolate.

if gives Sullivan his match up line, but with Trenin who actually has size, hits, and can chip in goals. Eller also despite how much I hate that contract can be a 20+ pt 4C.

Then you open up a 3rd line with younger players who can play more offensive oriented minutes.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pens move Smith and they have 17 to 18 million to use. Stephenson, Trenin are what 4 to 5 million in AAV. Even if a little higher, they both bring much needed size and grit and jam. Acciari is down to a 2 year deal and at RW fourth line that with Trenin and say Poulin has nice assets that Pens don't have enough of.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno RR
Trenin Poulin Acciari.

Rumor has it Stephenson turned a contract down starting with a 4 with the Knights.

They have a tax advantage over us and are better. I don't think Stephenson is coming here

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dejan wrote today that there are internal conversations about moving Malkin to wing. We'll see if it finally materializes, but something to watch.
Yeah but that doesn’t make sense with Sullivan as coach unless he wants to change his system…Sullivan likes his wings to have foot speed and be quick on the forecheck….the slower players play better as centers as the team is currently constructed…Geno may need his minutes reduced and take on more defensive responsibilities as a 3C but moving him to wing? Nah…

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't care if Geno's at wing or center, so long as his linemate (wing or center) is a genuinely good, production driving kind of player. Which seems out of the realm of possibility tbh.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't care if Geno's at wing or center, so long as his linemate (wing or center) is a genuinely good, production driving kind of player. Which seems out of the realm of possibility tbh.
When have they cared about putting high producing players who drive play with Geno? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad