Proposal: (DET/EDM) Goalie swap: Skinner for Husso

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I'd rather take my chances with Skinner rebounding (which is unlikely, but not impossible) than go from 'stinky goaltending' to 'very slightly less stinky goaltending' in Husso

But ultimately this is shuffling the deck chairs for both teams, so I'd imagine both decline

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
A 6th rounder to retain 50% salary AND take on 1 more year of a bad goalie? Dude you better make that at least a 2nd.
The idea with this trade is that the Detroit pro scouts GM kind of like Skinner and think he can play better with a different goalie coach and system. Also the EDM pro scouts would at least somewhat think Husso could be semi salvagable.

It's "same cap as Husso (if you factor in retention) in year one and then $2.6 in year two". Literally it's retaining sure. Can also be seen as "same cap as Husso but we like Skinner more".

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The idea with this trade is that the Detroit pro scouts GM kind of like Skinner and think he can play better with a different goalie coach and system. Also the EDM pro scouts would at least somewhat think Husso could be semi salvagable.

It's "same cap as Husso (if you factor in retention) in year one and then $2.6 in year two". Literally it's retaining sure. Can also be seen as "same cap as Husso but we like Skinner more".
So why can't we have a trade with an idea of "Edmonton's pro scouts think Husso is Roy reincarnated so they are willing to trade Draisaitl for him."? That's just about as valid.

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's even worse for Detroit. At least Edmonton in this scenario would save cap space and get out from the 2nd year of Skinner's contract. Detroit pays more for equally bad goaltending this year, locks themselves into Skinner for another year... for.. a 6th round pick??
Skinner would be the best goalie we’ve had for a few years.

This is horrible for Edmonton

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think Oil want to get rid of Skinner. More like we need a guy like Husso to play with him.

Easy no for me and I like Husso and thought that was a good signing by Detroit.

We need to keep Skinner
Buyout Campbell
Upgrade Pickard
Start giving Rodrique some looks

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.29.03 PM.png

Tough decision for edmonton. (also btw if you're saying skinner is worse than the analytics show, that means edmonton is even MORE analytically dominant than they already are) and you should put some more respect on their defense.

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.30.44 PM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's even worse for Detroit. At least Edmonton in this scenario would save cap space and get out from the 2nd year of Skinner's contract. Detroit pays more for equally bad goaltending this year, locks themselves into Skinner for another year... for.. a 6th round pick??
Skinner has a GSAx 41 goals better than Husso over the last 2 years.

For context, that's about equivalent to the difference between 1st (hellebuyuck) and 62nd (Georgiev) this year

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'd rather just buy out Husso and try to flip assets for one of the legit starters that are available. Trade seems pretty pointless for both teams.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You make it seem like Skinner is a horrible goalie making big money over term.

Skinner has posted better numbers than Husso over their careers, in almost the same number of games, so I don't think they're 'equally bad"

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
We don't need to move on from Skinner, we need to use him as a 1B or backup as we intended to when we brought in Campbell to be the 1A. Campbell buyout has to be coming this summer. Find a goalie better than Skinner and roll Stu as the #2.

I've said this before and I got the it's not easy to get a good goalie response. Well if Skinner sucks as many are saying, finding a better goalie via free agency or trade shouldn't be difficult. Stu is clearly a good young goalie. At 2.6m Stu staying isn't an issue even as a clear cut backup.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Skinner has a GSAx 41 goals better than Husso over the last 2 years.

For context, that's about equivalent to the difference between 1st (hellebuyuck) and 62nd (Georgiev) this year
Edmonton has the 3rd most shots for and 11th least shots against in those 2 years.
Detroit's 27th in shots for and 22nd in shots against.

Edmonton's #1 (by far) in goals for. Detroit's 16th.

Yeah, Skinner is better but I'm pretty sure Husso/Lyon would look a lot better if Detroit was constantly outshooting and dominating opponents and scoring 100 goals more over the last 2 seasons.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think DET is expecting Cossa to be their starter longer term. Doubt they'll go after a "good" goalie next summer unless Cossa regresses in the AHL.

Yeah, and they need an experienced veteran like "ben bishop" to mentor Cossa. It was quite clear plan for Yzerman with Vasilevski.

Think Detroit does not make any goalie moves this summer. Lyon+Husso is the tandem to go, and if they need a 3rd guy, Cossa will get his debut from AHL.

Year after they will sign a vet, or maybe extend Lyon, and they'll go with a tandem:

Lyon/vet
Cossa

Reactions: Ana Crusis

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Edmonton has the 3rd most shots for and 11th least shots against in those 2 years.
Detroit's 27th in shots for and 22nd in shots against.

Edmonton's #1 (by far) in goals for. Detroit's 16th.

Yeah, Skinner is better but I'm pretty sure Husso/Lyon would look a lot better if Detroit was constantly outshooting and dominating opponents and scoring 100 goals more over the last 2 seasons.
So just want to clarify you think edmonton is significantly better defensively than the analytics show?

So Nurse, Bouchard, Ekholm, Ceci, Desjarnais and Kulak are all very underrated defensively and in fact one of the best defensive cores in hockey?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why in the hell would Edmonton want out of the 2nd year of Skinner's contract? Edmonton should have a veteran to pair him with and lead him along (they tried that, but failed due to choosing the wrong veteran). They don't need to get rid of Skinner at all.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So just want to clarify you think edmonton is significantly better defensively than the analytics show?

So Nurse, Bouchard, Ekholm, Ceci, Desjarnais and Kulak are all very underrated defensively and in fact one of the best defensive cores in hockey?
All the analytics show Edmonton is very good defensively, what are you going on about? They were the highest XGF% team in the league and allowed the 6th fewest high danger chances

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

What analytics are you looking at? Do you actually watch hockey or just make generalizations based on a few random stats that fit your narrative? They aren’t some defensive powerhouse, but they’ve been quite solid defensively by most metrics since November.

In fact, they finished like top-6/7 in xGA, shots against, and Corsi against over the whole year despite a putrid start. Clueless post from the guy that thought Nurse was an RHD two days ago lol

rod

Apr 19, 2018
Last 2 years stats:

Husso in Detroit: .895 save% in 75 games for Detroit
Skinner in Edmonton: .909 save 109 games for Edmonton
Husso is not good either, but Detroit doesn't want to inherit another crappy goalie with term and cost, makes no sense.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
All the analytics show Edmonton is very good defensively, what are you going on about? They were the highest XGF% team in the league and allowed the 6th fewest high danger chances

What analytics are you looking at? Do you actually watch hockey or just make generalizations based on a few random stats that fit your narrative? They aren’t some defensive powerhouse, but they’ve been quite solid defensively by most metrics since November.

In fact, they finished like top-6/7 in xGA, shots against, and Corsi against over the whole year despite a putrid start. Clueless post from the guy that thought Nurse was an RHD two days ago lol
Yes I am well aware they finished those ranks in xGoals%.

But you are suggesting that skinner advanced stats are somehow inaccurate because they don't accurately account for the quality of chances against.

Which means that you are suggesting that Edmonton is EVEN MORE dominant and even better defensively than the analytics suggest.

I'm not an edmonton fan.

But apparently:

Bouchard sucks defensively, Nurse sucks, Ceci sucks, Kulak is a cap dump, and Desharnais is nothing special.
Skinner is a bad goalie.

How can you have 5/6 bad defensive dman and a bad goalie and yet rank so highly in terms of preventing goals against?

Is Mattias Ekholm the best dman in the NHL?

Is it the forwards?

Oh wait people shit on the defense of Drai, McDavid, RNH, etc etc etc too.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Yes I am well aware they finished those ranks in xGoals%.

But you are suggesting that skinner advanced stats are somehow inaccurate because they don't accurately account for the quality of chances against.

Which means that you are suggesting that Edmonton is EVEN MORE dominant and even better defensively than the analytics suggest.

I'm not an edmonton fan.

But apparently:

Bouchard sucks defensively, Nurse sucks, Ceci sucks, Kulak is a cap dump, and Desharnais is nothing special.
Skinner is a bad goalie.

How can you have 5/6 bad defensive dman and a bad goalie and yet rank so highly in terms of preventing goals against?

Is Mattias Ekholm the best dman in the NHL?

Is it the forwards?

Oh wait people shit on the defense of Drai, McDavid, RNH, etc etc etc too.
Ever thought that maybe the best defense is a good offense? That’s why they’re in the cup finals.

Skinner is decent (good but inconsistent) but his team is great overall and that makes it much more difficult to compare him to goalies on meh teams. This is a big variable that you seem to refuse to acknowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad