Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I only bust on gurgles and Emp. Save the cream for the top crop.

Macho Man Randy Savage Cream Of The Crop GIFs | Tenor

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just for the record @BlindWillyMcHurt and @HandshakeLine, I agree that Hayes is a bad player that won't be adding anything of value to this team. His overall numbers look decent from last year, but his microstats were gross especially an 8th percentile skating speed. I don't think he's literally "Carter 2.0" (yet), but I'd bet on that being more likely than him being someone you could flip for value down the line.

Hilariously, 2022-2023 Carter and 2023-2024 Hayes had identical statlines: 13 goals and 29 points in 79 games. Then we all saw what happened with Carter last year. People say "Hayes is only 32" but he looks like he's about 38 in hockey years, at least from what I can tell.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Just for the record @BlindWillyMcHurt and @HandshakeLine, I agree that Hayes is a bad player that won't be adding anything of value to this team. His overall numbers look decent from last year, but his microstats were gross especially an 8th percentile skating speed. I don't think he's literally "Carter 2.0" (yet), but I'd bet on that being more likely than him being someone you could flip for value down the line.

Hilariously, 2022-2023 Carter and 2023-2024 Hayes had identical statlines: 13 goals and 29 points in 79 games. Then we all saw what happened with Carter last year. People say "Hayes is only 32" but he looks like he's about 38 in hockey years, at least from what I can tell.

I appreciate you not pretending otherwise just because you don't like my take. For real.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I appreciate you not pretending otherwise just because you don't like my take.

Yeah the part where we disagree is whether the 2nd is worth it to take his deal. I think it is while you don't think it is.

I have extremely low expectations for Hayes as a player, especially after seeing the identical statline between him and Carter along with the 8th percentile skating speed.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team's been barely background noise-worthy for years. I'm kinda over the watchability tbh. They got a 100pt, Norris winning blueliner and tried to turn him into Paul Martin. We're all just in the waiting room until Sid gets his final Olympics because this team can't find it within itself to sell off guys with value like Petts or Rust, and doesn't have the assets or cap (or draw) to bring in significant additions.

Hayes sucks shit, fwiw. I just like that the team's getting an early-ish 2nd for two years of a guy they would've signed for 4 years in FA (not Hayes specifically, just another lame, useless vet).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah the part where we disagree is whether the 2nd is worth it to take his deal. I think it is while you don't think it is.

I have extremely low expectations for Hayes as a player, especially after seeing the identical statline between him and Carter along with the 8th percentile skating speed.

I'm glad that Dubas got something. Don't underestimate how dumb GMs can be. This could have been worse. People can act like I'm in denial about where the team is if they want... I'm not. I simply think Hayes is a low-tier player that will be badly overused here and that a second is very underwhelming. A point I thought we all largely agreed on curiously all the way up until this trade was made.

These twilight times are built for people who want to shit all over the core now that they are old, lecture me about reality and how it's dumb to try anymore and to accept laying back and letting the rest of the league use this team as a doormat while Sid is STILL a great player and Letang and Malkin were still just fine up to last season, at least. That's fine and that's their prerogative. But I never wanted them to go out like this and can't be expected to be pleased about gross mismanagement and horrible coaching being the end written, here.

I won't be excited about "the rebuild" until they are picking at positions that matter at the draft table. Taking on borderline trash for the sake of second round picks while Sid still takes shifts just isn't going to sit right to me. And having people tell me I'm a moron for feeling that way certainly won't, either.

Last edited:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This team's been barely background noise-worthy for years. I'm kinda over the watchability tbh. They got a 100pt, Norris winning blueliner and tried to turn him into Paul Martin. We're all just in the waiting room until Sid gets his final Olympics because this team can't find it within itself to sell off guys with value like Petts or Rust, and doesn't have the assets or cap (or draw) to bring in significant additions.

Hayes sucks shit, fwiw. I just like that the team's getting an early-ish 2nd for two years of a guy they would've signed for 4 years in FA (not Hayes specifically, just another lame, useless vet).
Yeah that was really the last straw for me tbh. I was so insanely excited for EK and he just turned out to be meh. I just dont understand why people care about Hayes when the greatest offensive D of this generation couldnt move the needle for this team. Sullivan is a moron and he is a colossal anchor to the team.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Yeah sure... but again... brother... it's a second round pick.

"Building for the future" is a few tomorrows away yet, I'm afraid.
Accept it’s not though. Building for the future is absolutely here whether any of us like it or not. This team is not a contender anymore and the big guns are a few short years away from not being here. It’s absolutely here right now.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah that was really the last straw for me tbh. I was so insanely excited for EK and he just turned out to be meh. I just dont understand why people care about Hayes when the greatest offensive D of this generation couldnt move the needle for this team. Sullivan is a moron and he is a colossal anchor to the team.
me too, I mean part about EK...just tell me how does team with Sid, Letang geno and EK not make playoffs with bunch of meh teams making it...we wasted 4-5 final years with this coach

Reactions: Malkinstheman

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Lets see if wwe can swing one or two more trades here. Pretty underwhelming otehrwise since we basically dont need to sign a single soul in FA since we have a full squad.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
View attachment 889581

The fallen angel, reborn.
It's his kid.

That's exactly where I'm at. No one is saying the expectation is that he's an impact player who is improving our chances this year. The deal is purely around a pick that should be around 35-45ov next year in a much better draft. At worst, we get an early 2nd prospect that's slightly better than what we just got. At worst, we have a high 2nd that can be used to procure a young player or be used in another deal. On the side, we put up Hayes who could be 3C, 4C, 4W, or a HS. Who can also be traded out at literally any time to a team needing him. If I'm Dubas, I pretty much have an open invitation to ask about him at any point.

We all spent the last week saying "let's get paid to take a bad player". That literally just happened in the best possible way - for future considerations while Hayes is at least serviceable and not a cap altering hit. It's right in line with the "procure young talent" path as well.

I'm not excited about Hayes in a vacuum but I like the deal.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Now sign Skinner and trade him @50% at the deadline.
Signing Skinner to a $3mil x 2yr deal would be a good off-season for us quite honestly. If you can put together:

Skinner-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Smith-Eller-DOC
Poulin-Hayes-Puljujarvi

with Pono, Koivunen, Acciari, Gruden, Puustinen, and possibly Yager ready to step in, it would be hard to complain too much provided everyone plays to expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad