Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah the part where we disagree is whether the 2nd is worth it to take his deal. I think it is while you don't think it is.

I have extremely low expectations for Hayes as a player, especially after seeing the identical statline between him and Carter along with the 8th percentile skating speed.
I think that the deal will be perfectly fine IF we can get rid of some deadweight somewhere else, that's the issue I have with it mostly. I'm dreading watching Hayes play though, so maybe he takes a slapper off the foot in camp and LTIR's it for the rest of the year.

Also it's like a bazillion degrees here and our newly-adopted tomcat/furnace thinks that it's cool to sleep on my chest so I'm just grumpier than usual here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think that the deal will be perfectly fine IF we can get rid of some deadweight somewhere else, that's the issue I have with it mostly. I'm dreading watching Hayes play though, so maybe he takes a slapper off the foot in camp and LTIR's it for the rest of the year.

Yeah like I said in another post, coupling that move with Eller for a 3rd/4th would have made a ton of sense.

I think free agency will be really telling for how bad the Hayes addition will be, and it's less Hayes individually and more "bottom of the roster clutter" that Dubas is going to add before the season starts. Just adding Hayes in isolation leaves open spots for young guys. Adding Hayes and another 2-3 guys like Nieto, Harkins or Hinostroza won't leave open spots for young guys, and that's a huge issue.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Skinner's probably gonna sign somewhere for pennies to try and compete for the first time in his career, if I had to guess.

Still hoping Dubas moves Rakell and/or Smith, and finds some way to find a taker for Jarry.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can go either way here. But the future has to have players and Dubas knows he needs a stronger farm system to be in a position when the picks are higher end. Even selecting very high is no guarantee of anything. But higher end talent will be needed to be able to compete and be relevant to winning.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah like I said in another post, coupling that move with Eller for a 3rd/4th would have made a ton of sense.

I think free agency will be really telling for how bad the Hayes addition will be, and it's less Hayes individually and more "bottom of the roster clutter" that Dubas is going to add before the season starts. Just adding Hayes in isolation leaves open spots for young guys. Adding Hayes and another 2-3 guys like Nieto, Harkins or Hinostroza won't leave open spots for young guys, and that's a huge issue.
I'm sort of dreading free agency next week TBH, but you're right, that's the real make-or-break moment for Dubas' vision this year.

He seems like a guy that would try to latch on to a sure fire playoff team.
For real, and as much as it pains me to admit it, we're not that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My guess right now is that any sort of UFA they'd be in on is a top-9 guy to push O'Connor for the L1 spot, not a guy to push O'Connor off of L1 entirely. I know Beauvillier isn't an attractive option, but that's the general level I'd be expecting out of any top-9 signing. Get a top-9 forward who could boom and outperform his contract, with the thought of selling him either this year or next year if that happens.

I'm sort of dreading free agency next week TBH, but you're right, that's the real make-or-break moment for Dubas' vision this year.

For real, and as much as it pains me to admit it, we're not that.

I'm legitimately concerned that Dubas is going to sign 4th liner types that's going to prove the "blocking young guys" concern true. I already don't like both Hayes and Acciari on L4, but I'm concerned he'll add even another guy or two that just eliminates any changes for Ponomarev or Poulin to make the team. Maybe Acciari is better at RW than he is at C, but I'm not holding my breath on it. Dude had like 3 points last year or something like that.

I'm not even high on Poulin and pretty much consider him a bust, but they can't just keep bringing in these Nieto type of guys and guaranteeing them 4th line spots.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Nieto shouldn't play another game for us. I anticipate him being waived post camp. But that said, WBS needs guys too. Kinda feel that way about Bemstrom too. Fine for WBS. Not the worst thing to give our youth some good players to develop with in WBS.

I still expect one of Eller or Acciari to be moved.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I feel a lot of the big names of players who were rumored to be traded are still out there guys like Laine,Necas,Zegras,Chycrun. The whole offseason since the cup final has been kinda rushed. I didn’t really expect the pens to be big spenders in free agency but wish they would have set themselves up just incase a situation or trade would appear and they’d be able to do something without any finagling.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the "ideal" setup of the forward group right now has Hayes at 3C being carried by an O'Connor and Smith wing duo. I have grown more and more skeptical of Hayes the more I've read about him, but the 2 inarguably facts I can see are that he's slow as shit and is a good playmaker. I think surrounding him with speed and giving him guys who can shoot the puck is probably better than just throwing him on L4, especially with Eller being the other bottom-6 center.

I think you'd want to run with:

Free agent-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Hayes-Smith
Ponomarev-Eller-Acciari
Poulin-Puustinen

With rotating O'Connor up to the top-6 and Puustinen onto the 3rd line when there is an injury. There will be enough injuries that Puustinen will play in a ton of games even without being one of their "top-12" forwards.

If O'Connor is up on L1, they need to get another speedy winger to play with Hayes. I don't think Smith-Hayes-Puustinen as option 1 really cuts it. I know we talked about him like yesterday, but Anthony Duclair makes a bunch of sense as a free agent for that L3 spot if they go that route.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oh, they're definitely gonna sign at least one loser that'll make us all groan. NHL execs and coaches can never help themselves when it comes to absolutely ratf***ing their team with an overemphasis on vet leadership, even if it means paying too much, for too long, and blocking cheaper/younger options with higher upside.

It's a guarantee, imo.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
For all of the handwringing on cap issues, Dubas/Hextall all like to fart away a bunch of cap $'s with overpaid/overaged vets in the bottom 6.

All of those guys working for the Pens front office making all of that money and not a one have a clue.

Reactions: farscape1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For all of the handwringing on cap issues, Dubas/Hextall all like to fart away a bunch of cap $'s with overpaid/overaged vets in the bottom 6.

All of those guys working for the Pens front office making all of that money and not a one have a clue.

The Penguins don't really have "cap issues" at this point because they're rebuilding. The only way they'd have "cap issues" is by not being able to be cap compliant.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
When is the last time the Pens had all their picks over the next 3 years? Like, 9 years ago? Theyre missing a 6th in 2026, but have an extra third that year but aside from that they have their full stock of picks.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
When is the last time the Pens had all their picks over the next 3 years? Like, 9 years ago? Theyre missing a 6th in 2026, but have an extra third that year but aside from that they have their full stock of picks.

On a quick glance, the Crosby draft, I think.

In 2012 they had everything (plus another first, third and fourth) except the 7th.

Boy... THAT was a fulfilling draft, too.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad