Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's downright insanity to me that anyone is trading anything of value for Gibson. He may legitimately be the worst regular starting goalie (as in a guy who has had a starter's role for years) in hockey at this point.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I mean we don’t need to move Jarry. It would just be nice to, to address the forwards. He’d still need replaced with a solid number 2, IMO.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I mean we don’t need to move Jarry. It would just be nice to, to address the forwards. He’d still need replaced with a solid number 2, IMO.
1719351351783.jpeg

Last edited:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
It's downright insanity to me that anyone is trading anything of value for Gibson. He may legitimately be the worst regular starting goalie (as in a guy who has had a starter's role for years) in hockey at this point.
Gonna cry when we trade Jarry just to turn around and trade for Gibson 😅

Reactions: farscape1

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Hey, the Panthers paid Bobrosvky $10 million, and they won the Cup, why shouldn't we pay Shesterkin $12.5 million?"*

-Chris Drury

*Ignoring the absolutely dreadful first handful of seasons

Exactly. It will probably become a trend again for a season or two since Bob (barely) got his. Then GMs will have a bunch of heinous contracts on their hands, rounds of buyouts start, a GM or two maybe even gets fired and everyone slowly comes to their senses, again.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
In the last year where Gibson was good, Elias Pettersson won the Calder trophy and Ben Bishop finished 2nd in Vezina voting.

That's how long it has been since Gibson was good.
Yea, but that’s still the answer to why he got a big contract. He was, at one point, one of the best goalies in the league and young.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Exactly. It will probably become a trend again for a season or two since Bob (barely) got his. Then GMs will have a bunch of heinous contracts on their hands, rounds of buyouts start, a GM or two maybe even gets fired and everyone slowly comes to their senses, again.
Speaking of hilarious goalie contracts, the Flyers are STILL paying Ilya Bryzgalov after they used a compliance buyout on him after the previous lockout ended way back in 2013.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
"Hey, the Panthers paid Bobrosvky $10 million, and they won the Cup, why shouldn't we pay Shesterkin $12.5 million?"*

-Chris Drury

*Ignoring the absolutely dreadful first handful of seasons
No team has won the cup with a player over $10mil on their roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad