Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
From a return view, trading Sid would bring in assets for future deployment. But you simply don't trade Sid for reasons of the brand of having Sid for years representing the franchise. Joe Green, other noted professional players just are part of the franchise and legacy that sets a standard for future players. You are going to have 20 years of Penguin reunions of cap teams.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think Sid isn't doing the organization any favors with his passivity, but he's far from the root cause or the reason the malaise persists.
His job is to play, not to tell the team what to do with coaches and contracts. Apparently he spoke up regarding wanting Malkin and Letang to stay, but other than that I can’t recall ever hearing from legit sources of him doing anything other than acting like a hockey player.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
We said that about missing the playoffs and icing a historically bad powerplay and yet we're getting ready to ignore all of that and do the same thing all over again.

I guess what I'm getting at is "I'll believe it when I see it" because this team plows right through any other lowlight (which would have gotten the whole team and office revamped) over and over again.
Right but I assume they won’t tolerate it indefinitely. Attendance was actually up after the last couple years. Eventually people will stop paying to see a garbage product.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
His job is to play, not to tell the team what to do with coaches and contracts. Apparently he spoke up regarding wanting Malkin and Letang to stay, but other than that I can’t recall ever hearing from legit sources of him doing anything other than acting like a hockey player.
That's why it's not really on him, though I'd imagine him throwing his weight behind a coaching change would probably see it over the line, IF the organization thought it was warranted-- which it clearly doesn't.

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
I don’t see why trading Sid can’t be considered especially if the return is good and Sid’s open to it. Like 3 1st round picks or prospect equivalents. Attendance will drop but I don’t really care about that, and that’s going to happen eventually anyway. You could seriously speed up the rebuild by trading him.

For now I’m in favor of the rebuild-on-the-fly they’re attempting since even our old guys are still pretty productive especially given their cap hits.
No

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That's why it's not really on him, though I'd imagine him throwing his weight behind a coaching change would probably see it over the line, IF the organization thought it was warranted-- which it clearly doesn't.
If the locker room has essentially mutinied against a coach then it’s the captains’ job to go to the GM and say something. It’s obvious that isn’t the case here.

I don’t see why anyone would think Sid has any responsibility to tell the GM and owners that a change is needed. It’s not his fault they’re all incompetent.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Who is going to run the powerplay?

Why... never fear... Mike Sullivan himself is going to step up and get the job done, I'm sure! He's gonna learn so much this summer about like... uh... strategies and um... umbrellas er... but not the kind you use for rain but like... the one Tanger plays. F3?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's comical that ppl here worry about the PP on a team not likely going anywhere any time soon. Did any one here ever consider maybe they aren't very good anymore? And that they lack players with a finishing pedigree? They can pass the puck til the cows come home but that's not not gonna win you games. You need guys who can finish. You also need better players beyond the obvious handful of relics. The next four or five years aren't likely gonna be pretty. You NEED to accept it.

It's probably better for the long term viability for this team to be bad.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Why... never fear... Mike Sullivan himself is going to step up and get the job done, I'm sure! He's gonna learn so much this summer about like... uh... strategies and um... umbrellas er... but not the kind you use for rain but like... the one Tanger plays. F3?

Vellucci "technically" isn't signed right now I believe?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Vellucci "technically" isn't signed right now I believe?

I don't THINK so? But people were saying the article made it sound like he was staying so IDK.

Maybe Lars Eller will run the PP from the bench.

Hahahaha... joking, obviously. He's gonna be too busy being ON the top unit to coach it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

The players (for PP1 anyway) have always done their own thing on the PP.

Dubas needs to find the right net front guy (Kunitz, Hornqvist type) & Sully needs to split them up if it’s not working. Sure it’ll piss em off but missing the playoffs because of the PP should have overridden that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The players (for PP1 anyway) have always done their own thing on the PP.

Dubas needs to find the right net front guy (Kunitz, Hornqvist type) & Sully needs to split them up if it’s not working. Sure it’ll piss em off but missing the playoffs because of the PP should have overridden that.

Split who up? If you mean Crosby/Malkin they did that most of last year and it stunk... bad.

The powerplay only started to KINDA look better near the end of the year when they put Malkin back on as like... net-front-ish.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like the Quinn hire substantially more with the knowledge that he's not in charge of the powerplay, but they need to get an actual PP coach.

“David Quinn brings a wealth of coaching and developmental experience across the highest levels of professional and international hockey,” said Dubas. “Quinn has a long track record of helping elite defensemen reach their full potential, and we look forward to the impact he can make on our defensive group and our entire program. Coach Quinn’s experience, character, energy and enthusiasm make him a great fit for Coach Sullivan’s coaching staff.”

I think this is a very clear "we need Karlsson to be better than what he was last year" comment. Fox won the Norris with Quinn in 2020 and Karlsson won the Norris with Quinn in 2022, so I think this comment actually holds some water.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Friedman said a bunch of teams will be scrambling when CapFriendly goes dark. Only a few have internal trackers. Pens are now one of them under Dubas.

So there's that, at least.
I find it hard to believe the Penguins front office was using CapFriendly. But glad they have something in place.
And here we are…defended by Jesse lol…

ohstopitu.jpg

@Jesse

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like the Quinn hire substantially more with the knowledge that he's not in charge of the powerplay, but they need to get an actual PP coach.

I think this is a very clear "we need Karlsson to be better than what he was last year" comment.

They should've explored firing the coach that sucks ass then.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The only positive of David Quinn is he has been a coach on three teams that have finished 1st or 2nd in the NHL Draft.

He really brings that "doormat team" energy to the club we've all been looking for.

And he and Sullivan are besties so we should all feel good about that. Plus he's here for EK. Maybe they can get an individual coach for every player that needs attention? Just open up another bench behind the current bench. Go through Mike Sullivan's cell contact list for a quick reference to a list of viable candidates.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Vellucci under contract? Maybe there’s still hope for a Sturm or Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad