Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t see why trading Sid can’t be considered especially if the return is good and Sid’s open to it. Like 3 1st round picks or prospect equivalents. Attendance will drop but I don’t really care about that, and that’s going to happen eventually anyway. You could seriously speed up the rebuild by trading him.

For now I’m in favor of the rebuild-on-the-fly they’re attempting since even our old guys are still pretty productive especially given their cap hits.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don’t see why trading Sid can’t be considered especially if the return is good and Sid’s open to it. Like 3 1st round picks or prospect equivalents. Attendance will drop but I don’t really care about that, and that’s going to happen eventually anyway. You could seriously speed up the rebuild by trading him.

For now I’m in favor of the rebuild-on-the-fly they’re attempting since even our old guys are still pretty productive especially given their cap hits.
Karlsson at 50% is very enticing for teams too. And Pettersson's value is at its peak.

Reactions: Jacob

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Sid has brand value for the organization as lifetime Penguin that would be diminished if he went off to Colorado or Dallas and won 2 more Cups there. From his Hall of Fame induction to the next 50 years of NHL alumni events, they will always include Sid as of the greatest ever. I can see why FSG wants that exclusivity.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Karlsson at 50% is very enticing for teams too. And Pettersson's value is at its peak.
Could get like 5-6 first round picks and a few 2nds for the whole lot. Letang, Malkin, Rust, Rakell, etc. Then a couple more for taking bad contracts like Jack Campbell. They’d all be later 1sts spread out in a couple drafts but you could package them and move up. In addition to our own picks. That’s a 5-7 year rebuild condensed down into 2-3 years.

Won’t happen obviously but it is kinda fun to think about.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sid has brand value for the organization as lifetime Penguin that would be diminished if he went off to Colorado or Dallas and won 2 more Cups there. From his Hall of Fame induction to the next 50 years of NHL alumni events, they will always include Sid as of the greatest ever. I can see why FSG wants that exclusivity.

Well, maybe they should focus on Sid then instead of Mike Sullivan.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Could get like 5-6 first round picks and a few 2nds for the whole lot. Letang, Malkin, Rust, Rakell, etc. Then a couple more for taking bad contracts like Jack Campbell. They’d all be later 1sts spread out in a couple drafts but you could package them and move up. In addition to our own picks. That’s a 5-7 year rebuild condensed down into 2-3 years.

Won’t happen obviously but it is kinda fun to think about.
Yes, this is what they need to do. Wish more fans understood this, instead of pushing for another marginal playoff miss or 1st round dismissal.
I wanted them to start that kinda process 2 summers ago, before those 4 big contracts were handed out. Now we're probably still like 2 years away before ownership/Dubas get serious about it.
It's very frustrating to watch this time wasting unfold.

Now this nepo Quinn hire. I've never been less excited for a season in my life, and that includes the pre-Crosby years. From the outside it almost looks like sabotage. Could not have picked a worse man for Reirden's job.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes, this is what they need to do. Wish more fans understood this, instead of pushing for another marginal playoff miss or 1st round dismissal.
I wanted them to start that kinda process 2 summers ago, before those 4 big contracts were handed out. Now we're probably still like 2 years away before ownership/Dubas get serious about it.
It's very frustrating to watch this time wasting unfold.

Now this nepo Quinn hire. I've never been less excited for a season in my life, and that includes the pre-Crosby years. From the outside it almost looks like sabotage. Could not have picked a worse man for Reirden's job.
Should have hired Todd Nelson.

Instead we hired Mike Sullivan.

LMFAOOOOO!!!!!

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
There are absolutely no indications Dubas, ownership, or anyone else affiliated with the team is ever going to “get serious about it”.
They lose enough games and money they will. Sid won’t allow it though. He’ll drag a pathetic team to mediocrity.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They lose enough games and money they will. Sid won’t allow it though. He’ll drag a pathetic team to mediocrity.
We said that about missing the playoffs and icing a historically bad powerplay and yet we're getting ready to ignore all of that and do the same thing all over again.

I guess what I'm getting at is "I'll believe it when I see it" because this team plows right through any other lowlight (which would have gotten the whole team and office revamped) over and over again.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I like how for some, Sid has taken over for David Morehouse as the new boogeyman of the organization pulling strings behind the scenes and keeping the team mediocre.

The reality is we have a stupid ownership with a dumber GM and a mediocre way past his expiration date coach who are all on the same page and think they’re doing a great job. That is not changing anytime soon, likely well into Sid’s retirement.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Sid isn't doing the organization any favors with his passivity, but he's far from the root cause or the reason the malaise persists.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I'd stop being a Penguins fans if they decided to pursue trading Crosby without Crosby explicitly demanding a trade.

Screw bringing back an "elite prospect" for him. If they even go to Crosby saying they want to move him, I'd stop being a fan of this team. There are things that are far bigger than getting back a nice draft pick or prospect.
I agree. The off ice ramifications far outweigh almost 100% of scenarios of what would possibly come back in a trade.

Like you said, unless he 100% wants out and makes it known, it shouldn't even be a consideration to trade him. (unless some team comes with an asinine overpay and it is cleared through him and he agrees)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad