GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker still has value and probably could recoup a first if they traded him.

Preds thought Grandlund was a cap dump
Kap *was* a cap dump for the Leafs and this team traded the 15th overall and one of their best forward prospects (not a high bar, Hallander's like a C-tier guy imo) for a 3rd liner everybody knew the Leafs had to sacrifice for cap reasons. :laugh:

JR's final few years here nailed the window shut on this era. Hextall's issues are just compounding things and extending an already lengthy, ugly rebuild ahead--and for no progress toward competing again. This team's still staring down another 1st round exit, if they make it.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I am hardly approving the moves.

Just keeping some perspective.

Even if this goes belly up as most think that it will, it hardly would have moved the needle going forward had it not happened.

The core is another year older next year.

Accept the reality.

Right now it is akin to a coroner's job. You can hardly kill a corpse again by making a mistake.
Exactly this teaam is not winning anything with Chychrun & Miller

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm just praying that Sullivan actually uses Granlund with Malkin and Zucker, because I think that's pretty much the best way to maximize the value he's providing. If you throw out Granlund with Carter in 75% defensive zone deployment, he's going to be horrendous. He might improve secondary scoring with his playmaking skills, but that 3rd line is going to get slaughtered analytically.

But you know that's how Sullivan will use him.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
f*** Rossi/Yohe. Even if they're right about this, their reporting is biased because they're mad about no longer having a good in with the FO
You can feel the spite in Yohe's words every time he tweets. JR probably made him think he was helping the team when he wrote all those puff pieces and feelers for the trade market

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm just praying that Sullivan actually uses Granlund with Malkin and Zucker, because I think that's pretty much the best way to maximize the value he's providing. If you throw out Granlund with Carter in 75% defensive zone deployment, he's going to be horrendous. He might improve secondary scoring with his playmaking skills, but that 3rd line is going to get slaughtered analytically.

But you know that's how Sullivan will use him.

Yep. This is a way you could potentially get some value out of this trade.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Matheson, Marino, Blueger, Kapanen, 2nd

for

Granlund
Poehling
Petry
Smith
3rdx2

I’m inspired. Wow. The vision and identity.
To Hextalls credit these moves would have been good two years ago but unfortunately time exists.
When Hextall laid out his plan for Mario, did he just say the team needed experience?

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
JR sucked too but Matheson for Horny wasnt bad. JJ was a nightmare and Gudbranson is whatever.
Ryan Reaves deal, Jack Johnson's FA deal, chasing a 3C and hemorrhaging assets for years because he let Bonino walk, Gudbranson, handing out deals that f***ed up the cap to Petts and Marino after each had one (1) good season, Tanev's FA deal, desperately chasing *his guys* and spending two mid-1sts + a great d-man prospect + whatever forward prospect for what amounts to two 3rd liners

I mean, Rutherford sucked absolute shit, and when he stomped off like a pissbaby, it was years too late. Should've been fired after the Isles sweep, he was years into his demented GMing by then.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Exactly this teaam is not winning anything with Chychrun & Miller
Let me understand you're thinking. You'd rather us make limp noodle moves and just stay middle of the pack neither good or bad. Just straight purgatory...rather than getting two high profile players to win some playoff games?

It's the last hoorah here. Why go out with a fizzle.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yep. This is a way you could potentially get some value out of this trade.

And I legitimately like him in that role, too. If Nashville would have retained like a third of his contract and the plan was to play him with Malkin, I'd be extremely happy with this. But you know that's not the case. Granlund came in at full salary and he's just going to be used as another 3C who doesn't fit how the Penguins want to use their 3rd line.

It's a shame because I really like Granlund's skillset and think he could do really well here if used correctly. But he won't be used correctly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And I legitimately like him in that role, too. If Nashville would have retained like a third of his contract and the plan was to play him with Malkin, I'd be extremely happy with this. But you know that's not the case. Granlund came in at full salary and he's just going to be used as another 3C who doesn't fit how the Penguins want to use their 3rd line.

It's a shame because I really like Granlund's skillset and think he could do really well here if used correctly. But he won't be used correctly.

Zucker - Staal - Granlund was an amazing line for Minnesota.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I like seeing Caggiula back in the lineup tomorrow. Fast and hungry. Hard forechecker.Think he'll be fine.
I'm curious if Granlund can get more out of Heinen.

At least the bottom 6 is different.
I wish Carter could be on L4 instead, to give Granlund a chance.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have posted this before.

Second round picks have a 16 percent better chance of playing at least one NHL game than third round picks.

That's it.

The cap space lost is annoying. It would be more annoying if I thought that the few million could have been used to make them a top contender this off-season. I don't.

But other than that it is an almost meaningless move.

Do you think that the team is markedly worse now? If not the cost of the mistake was negligible.

Reactions: metalan2

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Right. They need to play together to salvage this.

But was Sully involved here? That means he's demoting Rust.
Not even Rust can help Carter.

Second round picks have a 16 percent better chance of playing at least one NHL game than third round picks.

That's it.

The cap space list is annoying. It would be more annoying if I thought that the few million could have been used to make them a top contender this off-season. I don't.

Do you think that the team is markedly worse now? If not the cost of the mistake was negligible.
The opportunity cost.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That's it.

The cap space list is annoying. It would be more annoying if I thought that the few million could have been used to make them a top contender this off-season. I don't.

The issue with this deal wasn't what they paid for him, it's that they took him on at $5 million when he's not worth $5 million anymore.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Exactly.

I don't like this at all.

But am greatful that it was very limited damage.

It could have been a lot worse. We have seen a lot worse.
It's not limited damage at all. That 5 million cap hit is a boat anchor that won't allow us to properly fill holes on this team that desperately need to be plugged.

We had cap flexibility coming into this off season. We now have pretty much none, especially if (when) we re-sign Jarry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad