GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm assuming Granlund plays in the bottom six? It's great that he can pass, but who exactly is he going to pass to? Jeff Carter?

Heinen scored 15 goals at even strength last year. DOC is also showing some dangerous(ly good) speed right now.

If this buries or scratches Carter, it's worth it. I know Granlund's WAR or whatever is worse but there is no chance the 31 year old has fallen off like the 38 year old.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Because he clearly wasn't working there and wasn't worth $5 million going forward.

Granlund should be playing with Malkin and Zucker and Rust should get demoted to L3. That's the best way to set up the forward group.

Maybe we luck out and that line has some chemistry but Granlund ain’t any better than Rust so it will probably suck.

Reactions: Jobeycool

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Because he clearly wasn't working there and wasn't worth $5 million going forward.

Granlund should be playing with Malkin and Zucker and Rust should get demoted to L3. That's the best way to set up the forward group.
Have you consulted Sully on this?

Rust being off line 1 is hard enough for him.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

So what happens when line 3 is Heinen Carter Granlund? Should we still be happy with this trade then?

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
so then why make this deal?? He is locked in for 2 more years at 5mil. He took away cap flexibility for no reason.

I have said multiple times that they shouldn't have traded for Granlund without any retention.

Get it down to $3.5 million and I'm good with this, because I think his past history with Zucker in Minnesota plus his skillset would make him a really interesting addition to the 2nd line.

penguinsnomad

Mar 1, 2023
I saw someone elsewhere playing devil's advocate for going way outside the box and swinging a trade for Karlsson out of San Jose. I think I'd have been happier with that than the idiotic Granlund move we just made. (TBF, if Nashville had retained $1-2m I'd have merely said meh).

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I have said multiple times that they shouldn't have traded for Granlund without any retention.

Get it down to $3.5 million and I'm good with this, because I think his past history with Zucker in Minnesota plus his skillset would make him a really interesting addition to the 2nd line.

But you know he is going to be on the third line. They should have aim to get young not older

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
It;s not a worthwhile gamble. It's a big gamble. He's 31, and takes up almost all of the cap space we freed up. If he flops it's a compete failure, not only for this year, but for 2 more years. If he sucks that contract is going to be completely immovable without adding incentive to take the contract on.

By most advanced metrics he's underperformed relative to other Nashville players, but those metrics are generally shot based one way or another, and hes not a shoot first player. This also flys in the face of getting tougher to play against. Might as well add Bjugstad and some Lady Byng finalists at this rate.

I'd be fine with him at like $4 million.

Fans acting like he sucks because his JFresh chart is bad just reminds me of when everyone said Rakell sucked last year when the Penguins got him:

With the Rakell chart there was some underlying numbers that showed some promise, even on a bad team, and he wasn't wrong about Rakell not reallly driving play himself. He has worked out great with Malkin and Sid as noted as well.

Reactions: Andy99 and domaug

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Reunite GCRust? Is that what Sully heard?

59-87-17
16-71-67
43-77-64 (Granlund)
10-25-15

What a beaut of a forward corps. Stellar.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But you know he is going to be on the third line. They should have aim to get young not older

Yeah this trade will very likely not go well because Sullivan won't use Granlund in a way to make the trade go well. But make the 2nd line Zucker-Malkin-Granlund and I think adding Granlund would be nice. Just not at $5 million nice.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

You simply send McGinn back with a 2nd and 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad