Penguins to retire Jagr’s #68

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
All hail Jagr!

4xyxyl.jpg

When he's not playing hockey, I bet Jagr just walks around all day doing this.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Dessloch

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Really? Are the standards that low in Pittsburgh?
I actually think it'd be fitting that the Penguins retire Crosby's, Malkin's and Letang's jerseys all on the same night. Longest streak of consecutive seasons for a trio playing together (which will likely hit two decades), and have won three of the Pens' five Cups as a group. I imagine that band of brothers are etched in Penguins history forever together.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He only finished playing in the NHL in 2018, and is STILL playing in the Czech league. The way he was going it was still very much a possibility he might have come back to the league in the last few years.

You can't have someone's retired number up in the rafters only to have them come back in opposition colours.

Plus - you need Jagr to be there. It's also possible he didn't want to come back to Pittsburgh in this way until now.
Yes it was more of a scheduling issue than anything. Hard to get him into Pittsburgh when he's so busy with the Czech league.

Anyways, I'm glad it's happening. One of my favorite players growing up and even when he left Pittsburgh I never really fell out of love with him. He was individually dominant on the ice in a way that I think even Sid hasn't been. Probably the most individually offensively dominant player in the NHL up until McDavid came into the league. Sid was more rounded than both of those guys, but not quite as dominant offensively as either.

Love this.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
The best thing that could happen is if the Pens signed him for one game, that one against LA, then retired his number at the end of the game. 😄

Unlikely to happen, sadly!

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Jagr, and Letang.

Was Letang ever the undisputed number one D in the NHL for an entire year? No. I can pinpoint the exact years the others were best in the league.

Has he ever earned a 1st team all star? No. The other four have had this honor.

If you asked about the HHOF, do you immediately without a moment's hesitation, say "yes" when asked if Letang belongs? No. There is no hesitation with the other four when asked. They are automatic. Lemieux obviously in already.

Sorry...his # should not be retired unless he squeaks in the HHOF. I love how strict the Penguins have been with honoring greatness. Don't go soft now. Other four are legends. They will be remembered years from now.

Reactions: Voight and gary69

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
IF you retire Letang do you retire Fleury? What, then, about Barrasso?

See the game here?

Crosby and Malkin are the only two to go into the rafters from this current generation

Reactions: Gurglesons

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Jagr’s tenure with the Penguins was one largely filled with self proclaimed sacrifice, little success, and a prima donna attitude.

Lol. Certainly not as a Penguin.

I don’t think he deserves to have his number retired. Fantastic player, but his time with the Penguins was largely not successful.
I remembered when I posted drunk myself…

Haven’t checked the forum for a week after…

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
IF you retire Letang do you retire Fleury? What, then, about Barrasso?

See the game here?

Crosby and Malkin are the only two to go into the rafters from this current generation
Seriously?

Letang has been with them for over two decades by the end of his contract.

He is part of the longest trio in the history of the league playing for the same team alongside Crosby and Malkin for 17 seasons right now.

He was mostly their number 1 dmen during this time and won 3 Cups.

It is a slam dunk…

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
He's my favorite player of all time and I'm a Rangers fan. I kind of want to go to this game in my Rangers Jagr jersey. So many people thought he was checked out mentally when the Rangers traded for him and I remember prior to his first full season when he said the team was going to make the playoffs most people thought he was out of his mind. He ended with 123 points, Kevin Weekes went down with an injury which paved the way for Lundqvist and those two events got the entire franchise back on course. Just an absolutely legendary player who I hope eventually comes back to the states and gets involved in hockey here again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad