Value of: Jettisoning Darnell Nurse

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
They bridged him twice. Vs do term on the second bridge. Even at max term he’d be half way through it plus likely in around the low to mid $7’s range vs the $5.6 mill on the second bridge and less than the $9.25 mill.

They signed that second bridge deal early in Feb 2020. Not sure why they felt they needed the cap room then.
Because of Chiarelli they HAD no cap room. They had to bridge him.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
EDM can get back to the cup, but if they are to they need to get rid of this guy badly and retool the D a little bit around Bouchard and Ekholm. What would it take?

Would a team like Utah possibly with 10s of millions in cap space take him on for next to nothing from EDM?

After seeing the Jake Walman trade, looks like it might be bad news for EDM.

Oilers would need to add McDavid for a team to take on that contract

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If Edmonton could somehow get a Tanev type player for cheap to pair with Nurse he will likely improve. Similar to how Bouchard has improved beside Ekholm, just give him a defensively responsible D man as a partner

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
At the time, he didn't really have a choice. Klefbom was hurt and never coming back, Nurse was coming off of solid year, but the Seth Jones signing a couple weeks before really hurt.

2020-2021:
Seth Jones: 56GP, 5-23-28 signed for 8x9.5 on July 23
Darnell Nurse: 56GP, 16-20-36 signed for 8x9.25 on Aug 6

You just didn't see him falling off so much.
Literally everything about his numbers that year was unsustainable and it's reared its ugly head. This was a shortened and outlier level extreme for both players here.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
EDM can get back to the cup, but if they are to they need to get rid of this guy badly and retool the D a little bit around Bouchard and Ekholm. What would it take?

Would a team like Utah possibly with 10s of millions in cap space take him on for next to nothing from EDM?

After seeing the Jake Walman trade, looks like it might be bad news for EDM

The only way to Jettison is to send him up with Nasa strapped to a booster. Can't sent him up with SpaceX as their boosters come back.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think Nurse's ideal D partner would be somebody like Seider.

I don't know if DET would bite, but it would probably start with EDM having to swap Nurse and Ceci for Chiarot and Holl. Maybe a Copp and McLeod swap added in as well.

Whether that's a 3 for 3 trade, or whether somebody is adding a pick or prospect, I don't know.

Adding Nurse might create a LD log-jam... Edvinsson, Nurse, Johansson, Wallinder, Buium.
I think Nurse's ideal spot is 2nd pair on a AHL roster.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Just keep him , find a partner for him for once.
Full NMC for 3 more seasons
6 more seasons @ a caphit atleast 2 million more than it should be.
Friends with the star player on his team

He isnt going anywhere

Focus on getting a RHD that compliments his play and try to make things work

Bada-bing.

Develop or otherwise target a defenseman who thinks defensively but skates like prime Rafalski. It offsets the “bigger D with offensive skill prone to gaffes” to have a quicker skater thinking an extra layer down defensively.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Just keep him , find a partner for him for once
Yeah, just keep him, y'all don't need depth, Edmonton ;):naughty::nod::sarcasm:
(plus I doubt he's got the individual value to warrant other teams trading valued depth to them so that their money isn't all centralized, and other GMs probably see that they'd be looking for useful depth and wouldn't help them by just taking Darnell off their hands when they can probably sign similar guys for a fraction of the cost).

Last edited:

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Well then is Bouchard getting traded in the next 18 months? Because he's getting an equivalent contract and there's no way they can pay both of them.

This is the off season to move Nurse.

Well then is Bouchard getting traded in the next 18 months? Because he's getting an equivalent contract and there's no way they can pay both of them.

This is the off season to move Nurse.
I’m with you on that!!!

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad