Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
And I should have been clearer that I wasn't advocating that approach. But it's just an interesting question - what if they just do nothing, or next to nothing, and just use their picks and tweak the roster. It's actually not a terrible approach, but IMO it would require some activity to maximize asset value and try to gain some additional picks. So maybe sign a vet to a 1 year deal in the offseason for additional depth, with the idea the he or someone else could be traded at the TDL for a pick. And maybe instead of letting current players just walk away, deal them in their last year for assets. So, you might not be picking top 5, but you'd have extra picks to either use or combine to trade up (or trade for young players). And you have to figure that there could be years you're in the lottery, and maybe get lucky with ping-pong balls. Again, just for discussion - the "Do Nothing Rebuild". :laugh:

In theory this should be a viable strategy. Problem is that as the Isles get to the trade deadline... hovering around a playoff spot likely means that Lamoriello will not commit to moving the expiring contracts. Instead, he likely keeps said players and would mental math it as acquiring roster "improvements" at the expense of acquiring future assets.

The "Do Nothing Rebuild?" Is that like the "Know Nothing Party" of the 1850s?

Reactions: doublechili

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Since when did the opportunity to improve next season's team end at the conclusion of the draft? The offseason has barely begun.

So far they've deepened their prospect pool without doing anything stupid -- a huge improvement from draft days of years past. Small victories.

My own thought has been that trading Palmieri is the most realistic thing Lou might pull off, and I don't see how the prospect of that happening has changed.
Trade Palmieri for something that opens up cap space so we can sign his replacement as a free agent? That’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Nobody thinks you can’t make improvements after the draft. It’s just that looking at what is here today, on June 30, the fixes Lou could make will likely be too expensive and not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pad Savin Maven

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The argument for the tear down approach is that it's the most surefire way to get the top tier elite talent like McDavid, but even with that it's never a guarantee.
And the current trajectory, the mushy middle approach, leaves you with little chance of drafting elite talent. But it does leave you with hopes and dreams of being a wild card team approaching the last week of the regular season, and the illusion that the team can be a cup contender because why not us!

This is not a now team. What difference does it make anymore?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Brannstrom, Boqvist, Campbell (obvious choice there) and Schmidt all being bought out.
To be clear Brannstrom (not sure about the others) is not being qualified. QO was apparently 2 mil, according to the soon-to-be-gone Capfriendly.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
From Lou’s comments it feels like Wally will be traded but it probably won’t be until a bigger deal comes through. Like add him to a Pageau deal

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Nate Schmidt being bought out. If we don’t re-sign Reilly, he’s a vet guy that could fill that spot
Id bet Reilly is already signed, and it'll just remain in Lou's cone of silence till he's ready for the world to know.

Reactions: SI90

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Trade Palmieri for something that opens up cap space so we can sign his replacement as a free agent? That’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Nobody thinks you can’t make improvements after the draft. It’s just that looking at what is here today, on June 30, the fixes Lou could make will likely be too expensive and not worth it.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a guy like Palmieri to be traded to open up cap space for players — expensive or inexpensive — that fit what Roy wants to do here. No one's expecting Palmieri to be shipped out in return for a replica.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Id bet Reilly is already signed, and it'll just remain in Lou's cone of silence till he's ready for the world to know.
4yrs/$15 million and we run out of cap space except for a Clutterbuck re-upping late in the offseason...

But, ya we got Tsyplakov and he didnt sign him to play in freaking Bridgeport guys :)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

No, that really isn't though. If you land Palmieri's replacement then you now have improved by the asset acquired in trading him. Ultimately, the gain may not be worth much but it's still a net positive in terms of assets.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And the current trajectory, the mushy middle approach, leaves you with little chance of drafting elite talent. But it does leave you with hopes and dreams of being a wild card team approaching the last week of the regular season, and the illusion that the team can be a cup contender because why not us!

This is not a now team. What difference does it make anymore?

Florida was a mushy middle approach though and they just won the cup too. They hung around the Wild Card for quite some time and kept getting knocked out in early rounds, acquiring most of their talent via free agency and trading.

You know that I'm not for pushing chips into the middle right now but there's a way to re-structure (one I missed when making the thread title) the team on the fly that could put them back into a more serious contender category while just hanging around where they are.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Fl made a statement trade and moved on from a waif of a forward.

They also hung on for dear life on Bob that finally worked out, but they used probably 5 goalies around him to help.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Florida was a mushy middle approach though and they just won the cup too. They hung around the Wild Card for quite some time and kept getting knocked out in early rounds, acquiring most of their talent via free agency and trading.

You know that I'm not for pushing chips into the middle right now but there's a way to re-structure (one I missed when making the thread title) the team on the fly that could put them back into a more serious contender category while just hanging around where they are.
I re-visited the team-building user manual. Apparently, that's a subset of re-tool. So you're good.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

It took replacing Dale Tallon with Bill Zito as GM to start the ball rolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad