Penguins to retire Jagr’s #68

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
How in God's name did this not happen sooner? Even Marty St. Louis made it to the rafters in Tampa in what was basically as soon as possible and he didn't exactly leave on great terms

Reactions: Hoek

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Jagr was an amazing player for a very, very long time. His is one of the most unique careers for any athlete I can think of. Personal gripes and grudges aside, he absolutely deserves to watch 68 go up in the rafters in Pittsburgh. 66, 68, 71, and 87 all being up there just feels right.

Reactions: Dessloch

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Yes, he has 6. Actually more than any other Penguin.
Ok,, well f***! If I wasn't drunk I would admit that Mario was great, but in reality just a soft Canadien who was shown how to use his size when Lindros came in to the league, and when Forsberg came, he got cancer or so he told

Ok,, well f***! If I wasn't drunk I would admit that Mario was great, but in reality just a soft Canadien who was shown how to use his size when Lindros came in to the league, and when Forsberg came, he got cancer or so he told
Dont commet on that one

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Long overdue, but maybe the Pens thought he'd come back to play more.

Dont commet on that one
Uh dude, maybe not a good time to be posting this type of thing given your current state of inebriation.

And did you quote yourself just to say "don't comment" on said post? Huh?

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Long overdue, but maybe the Pens thought he'd come back to play more.

Uh dude, maybe not a good time to be posting this type of thing given your current state of inebriation.

And did you quote yourself just to say "don't comment" on said post? Huh?
I think yes

I think yes
I also think it's water under the bridge so there is that..

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
That's a good compromise for Jagr. Hang a jersey into the rafters, but don't have to live in Pittsburgh, good deal!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
How in God's name did this not happen sooner? Even Marty St. Louis made it to the rafters in Tampa in what was basically as soon as possible and he didn't exactly leave on great terms
Did they retire his jersey when be was still playing for the Rangers?

There's this weird initial reaction here, even an Athletic article about it being overdue or why not sooner.

Jagr had still been aging. Jagr had not retired. I guess plenty people see out of the NHL as defacto retired(same kinds thoughts in the thread about Datsyuk getting a jersey retired) but these guys have still been playing. Jagr only this season hasn't suited up for his team.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think yes

I also think it's water under the bridge so there is that..
I like you, you're funny.

Didn't play 1 minute against either Nashville or San Jose. 1 Stanley cup.
I understand what you're trying to say, but that's not how Stanley Cups are counted. There is very specific criteria, but exceptions can be made. No matter what, Fleury was part of multiple runs.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Did they retire his jersey when be was still playing for the Rangers?

There's this weird initial reaction here, even an Athletic article about it being overdue or why not sooner.

Jagr had still been aging. Jagr had not retired. I guess plenty people see out of the NHL as defacto retired(same kinds thoughts in the thread about Datsyuk getting a jersey retired) but these guys have still been playing. Jagr only this season hasn't suited up for his team.
Team number retirement doesn't require a player to be retired -- it's not the Hall of Fame. If it wants to, a franchise can retire a guy's number while he's playing for another NHL team! (not that anyone would do that)

Jagr's last NHL appearance was almost six years ago. Given his enormous status in the game, I just think the Pens waited a bit long.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Team number retirement doesn't require a player to be retired -- it's not the Hall of Fame. If it wants to, a franchise can retire a guy's number while he's playing for another NHL team! (not that anyone would do that)

Jagr's last NHL appearance was almost six years ago. Given his enormous status in the game, I just think the Pens waited a bit long.
Doing so would require Jagr to block out schedule of games of the team he played for, owns, and is president of. It is not that was retired and free because he was out of the NHL. It seems excessive to think it would happen.

Has anyone had a jersey retirement while still playing? Maybe Pens fans think this is a long time coming because Mario had his jersey retired and then he unretired to play some more.

I think if you think they waited too long, you aren't considering he's been quite busy still

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens don't win 2 cups without him. Yes his rime is checkered but he was a significant player as a Pen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad