Penguins to retire Jagr’s #68

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I was starting to think he was going to retire the Pens jersey instead. There's a good chance he's still playing professional hockey long after the NHL/Penguins have disbanded.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Jagr was an amazing player for a very, very long time. His is one of the most unique careers for any athlete I can think of. Personal gripes and grudges aside, he absolutely deserves to watch 68 go up in the rafters in Pittsburgh. 66, 68, 71, and 87 all being up there just feels right.

While I agree on the players the Pens will honour with a number retirement, it’s such an odd set of numbers.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
How in God's name did this not happen sooner? Even Marty St. Louis made it to the rafters in Tampa in what was basically as soon as possible and he didn't exactly leave on great terms
Probably because he hasn't really retired yet.

He deserves to get that jersey hung as a Penguin where he started his career on some epic penguins teams from the 90s.

Jagr/Lemieux created a whole generation of Penguins fans in the city that evolved into so much for the sport as a whole today. Starting from the bottom up.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Didn't play 1 minute against either Nashville or San Jose. 1 Stanley cup.
giphy.gif

There's a way to be a troll, and keep it funny. I mean, look at the guy getting loaded and saying Mario faked leukemia. That's how it's done.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Lemieux
Crosby
Jagr
Malkin

Is how I'd rank them.

And it's actually the opposite regarding standards. They're very stingy, they didn't retire Barrasso, Francis, or Coffey. That's why I'm doubtful they retire Fleury or Letang, but you never know. They do have time spent with the club on their side.
Malkin is def ahead of jagr as a penguin

Reactions: sanscosm

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Needed to wait a while for the hate to die down. He was still getting booed every time he touched the puck as recently as 2015. But #68 getting retired was inevitable - all 5 of his art rosses and both cups were won with the penguins. Time heals all wounds.
What‘s the bad blood about? I either don’t remember or never knew.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes.

The Penguins have been crazy limited with their retirement of numbers.

FSG wants the $$$.

I wouldnt say crazy limited as much as not having many guys to choose from. Coffey, Murphy, Barrasso etc had some good years tho but the first two are associated with other franchises. Lemieux is an easy one, IMO Jagr is more than worthy of such an honour. I don't see why this an issue or why he would have to wait until Sid & Geno retire.

Reactions: Dessloch

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
MAF and Kunitz took the Penguins to three cup finals each. MAF won one, and played a large part in another. Kuni won 3. They also were a large part of a decade plus of success.

Neither of them took the Pens anywhere. Especially Kunitz, he was a passenger.

FWIW Kunitz scored 37 points across 68 games (in the three years the team made a finals run), Jagr scored 37 points in 45 games (two finals runs)

One could argue MAFs absolutely atrocious playoff performances from 2010-2015 cost the Pens a couple deep playoff runs.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
MAF and Kunitz took the Penguins to three cup finals each. MAF won one, and played a large part in another. Kuni won 3. They also were a large part of a decade plus of success.

Jagr had more playoff points in the 1991 and 1992 cup than Kunitz had during his THREE cup runs. Kunitz was a footnote in all of the cups he won by your own standards, that you revised because its not Jagr you are judging!

Wanting to retired Kunitz jersey over Jagr is one the most absurd things I ever read.

And again, not everything is measured in cups! What Jagr provided in sheer entertainment and excitement for so many years can never be overlooked! He dominated the league in a way only 66 and 99 have done. And he did it all in a Pens jersey, thats why so many consider him a Penguin for life!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Neither of them took the Pens anywhere. Especially Kunitz, he was a passenger.

FWIW Kunitz scored 37 points across 68 games (in the three years the team made a finals run), Jagr scored 37 points in 45 games (two finals runs)

One could argue MAFs absolutely atrocious playoff performances from 2010-2015 cost the Pens a couple deep playoff runs.

Aren’t you a caps fan?

Jagr had more playoff points in the 1991 and 1992 cup than Kunitz had during his THREE cup runs. Kunitz was a footnote in all of the cups he won by your own standards, that you revised because its not Jagr you are judging!

Wanting to retired Kunitz jersey over Jagr is one the most absurd things I ever read.

And again, not everything is measured in cups! What Jagr provided in sheer entertainment and excitement for so many years can never be overlooked! He dominated the league in a way only 66 and 99 have done. And he did it all in a Pens jersey, thats why so many consider him a Penguin for life!

I don’t want to retire either of their numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad