Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meh

Poehling is just another Sheahan type of guy. Just a kinda vanilla all around guy that doesn't do anything particularly well.

I don’t see anything vanilla about Poehling. He competes and has skill. Most attractive part of his game.

If anything Blueger is Sheahan. He does not do a single thing great on the ice.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I would prefer new blood, but if the choice is between old and new vs familiar and young I'm taking young every time. The team should basically make it a hard and fast rule that nobody except the core 3 guys can exceed 31 years in age.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If we bring back Blueger then we need to sign Simon and ZAR on day one of free agency.

Their possession numbers were always so great while we were losing. Plus just so incredibly fun to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t see anything vanilla about Poehling. He competes and has skill. Most attractive part of his game.

If anything Blueger is Sheahan. He does not do a single thing great on the ice.

I just don't see this with Poehling at all. He just looks like another depth piece with size that doesn't do anything notable.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Poehling has some intriguing attributes. I like his ability to drive the net and he's got a good shot. I feel like Teddy was a better playmaker and craftier with the puck.

My big issue with Poehling is he's a very head down player with crappy vision. I think his skill set can work but you will want to pair a playmaker with him.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think much of Poehling, but he'll be dirt cheap and is a capable 4th liner at worst imo. He's like DOC to me. Give 'em 4th line spots cuz who the f*** cares about the 4th line (as long as the players aren't horrific detriments like Carter or McGinn were for months last season).

Build a defensively responsible/heavy cycle-oriented 3rd line to take minute pressure off of Sid and Geno. Give the 4th line over to youth. Perma-scratch Carter, and find a taker for Granlund or buy him out if the price is too high.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
???-Geno-Rust
3rd Line
DOC-Poehling-Puustinen

If the 4th liners suck, pick somebody up off of waivers or make a trade. Guys capable of playing on a 4th line are literally everywhere and they're dirt cheap. If the kids earn their way up the lineup, cool.

I would say this team's number one priority is a scoring winger for Geno, but I don't even know. There's so much shit that needs to be done, I have no clue how Dubas & Co. accomplish everything before Sid's done. Geno needs a winger, this team needs at least one goalie, maybe two. This team needs an entire 3rd line built for Sully's usage. This team needs to force Carter out of the lineup, and they have to find a way to rid themselves of Granlund. Then they need somebody to play with Petry if they wanna go and grab a Gavrikov or Graves or something.

Godspeed, Dubas. I'm sure you're going to be compensated well, but you and your FO are set up for failure. :laugh:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't think much of Poehling, but he'll be dirt cheap and is a capable 4th liner at worst imo. He's like DOC to me. Give 'em 4th line spots cuz who the f*** cares about the 4th line (as long as the players aren't horrific detriments like Carter or McGinn were for months last season).

Build a defensively responsible/heavy cycle-oriented 3rd line to take minute pressure off of Sid and Geno. Give the 4th line over to youth. Perma-scratch Carter, and find a taker for Granlund or buy him out if the price is too high.

I don't disagree with how you want your lines. But I suspect Sully wants 3 'scoring' lines and the 4th to be buried with those rough assignments.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't disagree with how you want your lines. But I suspect Sully wants 3 'scoring' lines and the 4th to be buried with those rough assignments.
Yeah, that's probably fair.

I just really want this team to stop squeezing every last cap dollar into the bottom-6 for the sake of vets over guys that even I, as a pretty heavy skeptic, think are capable enough to fill spots at the NHL level. I don't think they'll be impact guys, but they have room to grow and they'll be cheap. /shrug

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Poehling being fast as shit is useful in its own right. He had plenty of notable shifts on the forecheck. He also had some decent hands when in the right position. I’m cool with him sticking around.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
-Granlund, Pickering, Puustinen and New Jersey's 3rd to Anaheim for Gibson at $5.5 million
-POJ to Seattle for Geekie, re-sign Geekie for 3 year at $2.5 million
-Re-sign O'Connor, Poehling and Smith (all 3 at 2 years at $900k) along with Bonino (1 year at $800k)
-Sign Bunting (6 years at $5 million), Graves (5 years at $4.5 million) and Brown (3 year at $3 million) in free agency

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
XXXXXX-Geekie-Brown
O'Connor-Poehling-Carter
Nylander-Bonino

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Gibson-DeSmith

You have $2 million to spend on a 3rd line LW in this situation.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean this in the least dickhead way possible, but I don't think Gibson is the goalie lots of people want anymore. :laugh: He's like 5th on my target list if I'm being honest, maybe lower. It's hard to be too picky when you've had half a decade of Murray, Jarry and CDS being menaces between the pipes, but I kinda lean toward the whole f*** Gibson angle. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean this in the least dickhead way possible, but I don't think Gibson is the goalie lots of people want anymore. :laugh: He's like 5th on my target list if I'm being honest, maybe lower. It's hard to be too picky when you've had half a decade of Murray, Jarry and CDS being menaces between the pipes, but I kinda lean toward the whole f*** Gibson angle. :laugh:

I mean they're acquiring him while also getting out of Granlund's deal. Is it a gamble? Yeah, but they're not really paying much for it and Gibson absolutely has the upside to be a game changer as a starter.

I don't want Gibson in isolation, but to give up basically just Pickering to both get Gibson and get out of Granlund's deal seems well worth it. It's a big gamble that could go terrible, but it also has the potential to boom massively.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean they're acquiring him while also getting out of Granlund's deal. Is it a gamble? Yeah, but they're not really paying much for it and Gibson absolutely has the upside to be a game changer as a starter.

I don't want Gibson in isolation, but to give up basically just Pickering to both get Gibson and get out of Granlund's deal seems well worth it. It's a big gamble that could go terrible, but it also has the potential to boom massively.
I think Gibson's stats suffered a bit on a terrible Anaheim team, for sure, but I don't think he's much better than that in a vacuum anymore.

I'd target Vejmelka, maybe try and work out something bigger for one of the Yotes forwards as well. Throw the kitchen sink at one final year of competition with Hellebuyck. See if you can poach Ullmark or Swayman. Kick the tires on Andersen. /shrug

If worse comes to worse, buy Granlund out. I think you can find somebody to take him, but if the price is too high, less than $900k this upcoming season is whatever, and after that, it doesn't f***in' matter for this organization anymore. :laugh:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah, I'm not sold on Gibson based on recent seasons. But if Anaheim is willing to retain then I'm really interested. The UFA goalies really aren't all that enticing. Well, the ones I want will probably be overpaid. And I want to get away from the current goalie tandem. edit to add: My deal for Gibson with $1.5M retained was CDS, Ty Smith, and a 3rd. Likely need to add more value on the Pens side for that.

I either want a new 1a/1b tandem (Korpisalo/Talbot?). Or an actual starter and a new backup (Gibson/?).

As I'm typing, yes, Vejmelka is a great target but I suspect the Pens would be outbid.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't like Seravalli saying the Maple Leafs also targeted and almost traded for Granlund this past season. :laugh: Makes me worried the team may not see Granlund as the must-move that we all do.

I just don't see a place for him. He sucks shit in a checking line role, and he sucks shit as an option with Geno. Would genuinely rather try Puustinen with Geno and Rakell than Granlund.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Contract talk: what's up with Natty Mac's contract being structured like this?

Most players are taking the majority of their pay in signing bonuses and low actual salary now. Front loaded as typical. The 26-27 switch of more salary than signing bonus was likely a concession to the Avs because the CBA expires before that year, so if (aka when) there's another lockout, they won't have to pay him as much. .

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Matthews is gonna get a max deal from the Leafs and some endorsement deal with Boston Pizza worth $40 million a year or some shit to stay in Toronto. :laugh:

(Treliving's father is the chairman and owner of Boston Pizza)

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
-Granlund, Pickering, Puustinen and New Jersey's 3rd to Anaheim for Gibson at $5.5 million
-POJ to Seattle for Geekie, re-sign Geekie for 3 year at $2.5 million
-Re-sign O'Connor, Poehling and Smith (all 3 at 2 years at $900k) along with Bonino (1 year at $800k)
-Sign Bunting (6 years at $5 million), Graves (5 years at $4.5 million) and Brown (3 year at $3 million) in free agency

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
XXXXXX-Geekie-Brown
O'Connor-Poehling-Carter
Nylander-Bonino

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Gibson-DeSmith

You have $2 million to spend on a 3rd line LW in this situation.
Needs some Colton on 3LW.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad