Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If we were actually trying to maximize Granlund, I'd be down with Granlund-Sid-Rakell.

But Sid may burn down the building if we took Guentzel away from him.

Either way Granlund is trash but at least put him with our best finishers.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Granlund was a cool acquisition for a lot of reasons. He's not good at anything. He needs PP time to pad his stats. His contract sucks, and has term. He doesn't fit in any of the four forward lines.

I guess you could try him with Sid and Jake because the one (1) singular thing Granlund brings is a decent pass, and that may be handy for that line given that both guys can score. But Granlund's skating is trash, his defensive play is trash, and he seems lost in all three zones, so...

Just find a trade or buy him out, imo. The buy out option really sucks but it is what it is. It's like $900k this year and whatever it is after that doesn't matter because this team's got one final shot (they don't even have one final shot, but y'know, keeping up appearances and all). Dead cap isn't gonna matter when the salary cap jumps and Sid's mulling over retirement in a couple years.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Granlund was a cool acquisition for a lot of reasons. He's not good at anything. He needs PP time to pad his stats. His contract sucks, and has term. He doesn't fit in any of the four forward lines.

I guess you could try him with Sid and Jake because the one (1) singular thing Granlund brings is a decent pass, and that may be handy for that line given that both guys can score. But Granlund's skating is trash, his defensive play is trash, and he seems lost in all three zones, so...

Just find a trade or buy him out, imo. The buy out option really sucks but it is what it is. It's like $900k this year and whatever it is after that doesn't matter because this team's got one final shot (they don't even have one final shot, but y'know, keeping up appearances and all). Dead cap isn't gonna matter when the salary cap jumps and Sid's mulling over retirement in a couple years.
Oh I agree.
The board collective consensus changing is hilarious. Granlund is a pass-first point guard with decent awareness who also can't defend.
That = he sucks.

If you keep him now it's purely because you think you can dump him for less in January-February. Maybe that's a risk worth taking, but you also have to put him in great positions to maximize him to juice his value up. That means making Granlund a prominent part of the team. Are we trying to win in the early part of next year? The player I saw last February-April resembled a flawed KHL player with good NHL vision. Not a winning player.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I hate the idea of any cap space being used by players who aren't playing for you, although it might need to come to that.. but I would sooner trade the 1st and Granlund for a later pick than buy him out. Then give his money to Bunting.

Reactions: Ulf5

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I hate the idea of any cap space being used by players who aren't playing for you, although it might need to come to that.. but I would sooner trade the 1st and Granlund for a later pick than buy him out. Then give his money to Bunting.
That is horrific asset management. You want to give up a first rounder, 14th overall no less to get rid of granlund? I'm so glad you're not in charge dear God in Heaven I'm so glad!

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
That is horrific asset management. You want to give up a first rounder, 14th overall no less to get rid of granlund? I'm so glad you're not in charge dear God in Heaven I'm so glad!
Yea, for like, a later 1st. 14th overall isn't that good. Yea I would try to use that pick for a good player now, but if I couldn't do that I would definitely use it to trade down and free up more flexibility.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just find a trade where Granlund needs to go out to make the money work, he'll be easily tradeable in that kind of move. It would be substantially more difficult to dump him without taking money back instead of including him to make the money work in a deal.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yea, for like, a later 1st. 14th overall isn't that good. Yea I would try to use that pick for a good player now, but if I couldn't do that I would definitely use it to trade down and free up more flexibility.
Again, very glad you're not pulling the strings here. This is the highest draft pick we've had in quite some time in a very strong draft. As long as we make a good pick here that draft pick could be a Mainstay for this team for years to come. This is the only positive that we can derive from missing the playoffs. And I sure as hell don't want to squander it because you're hell bent on getting rid of granlund in that manner. Hell just buy the damn b**** out if it comes to it! Keep that asset.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The options are limited re: Granlund for sure, but there are options.

- Put him with Sid and Jake and hope he doesn't crater the team's best functioning line. I don't think this will work for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be Sid's patience running out after like half a period of Granlund skating through peanut butter and flubbing pucks.

- Land a triggerman winger for Geno's line and play him on L2. Don't think this one will work either, but it's probably the option that fits best if the team cannot/will not offload his contract.

- Package him with something to get out of his contract or take back an equally rough player who is on an expiring deal. There are teams out there who hover around the cap floor. Find one who will take him if the asking price isn't too high.

- Buy him out. Not good, but not the end of the world.

His skating is below average or bad. His shot is awful. His passing ability is the one thing he has, and it's not anything special, let alone exceptional. He's smaller, he's not physical, he's not anything defensively. I still can't help but laugh at the way the TDL went down for this team; removing several guys who were bad fits or downright awful players, just to turn around and use all of the $5 million in savings on Mikael f***ing Granlund. It's honestly hilarious in a way. :laugh:

If I didn't think Hextall was a complete buffoon, I'd question whether the Granlund thing was a last second f*** you to the fanbase for chanting Fire Hextall and to FSG who was always gonna fire him after the season.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Again, very glad you're not pulling the strings here. This is the highest draft pick we've had in quite some time in a very strong draft. As long as we make a good pick here that draft pick could be a Mainstay for this team for years to come. This is the only positive that we can derive from missing the playoffs. And I sure as hell don't want to squander it because you're hell bent on getting rid of granlund in that manner. Hell just buy the damn b**** out if it comes to it! Keep that asset.

The average 14th pick doesn't become a star. These are all 18 year olds 2+ years away from the NHL at this tier of the draft.

I don't think substantively there's much difference between 14 and, say, 35 + 67 (which Chicago has).
I'd probably move Granlund + 14 for that.

Reactions: Turin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This team can not have success with Mikael Granlund in our top six.

The average 14th pick doesn't become a star. These are all 18 year olds 2+ years away from the NHL at this tier of the draft.

I don't think substantively there's much difference between 14 and, say, 35 + 67 (which Chicago has).

Kirby Dach cost a 13th overall and a 66th pick for a counterpoint.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Chicago's gonna weaponize cap space now that they've got Bedard coming in. They're gonna start building around him immediately.

I'd keep the 14th. It's not really valuable like a top-10 pick, and it's not as whatever value as a 20+. You're probably looking at somebody like Garland's caliber if you deal it. I'd rather roll the dice and see if this team can dumb luck into a solid prospect. But I think the window slammed shut when Mario sat on his hands after the Montreal play-in, so that's kinda where my head's at regarding the team.

I mentioned it before but I *would* move the 14th as part of a package to land something like Vejmelka+Schmaltz or Vejmelka+Crouse (with money retained) from the Coyotes. That kinda move is interesting, but I have no idea how the Coyotes view this team's assets. Not very highly if the report that they turned down the Pens offer to land Chychrun has any truth to it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The options are limited re: Granlund for sure, but there are options.

- Put him with Sid and Jake and hope he doesn't crater the team's best functioning line. I don't think this will work for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be Sid's patience running out after like half a period of Granlund skating through peanut butter and flubbing pucks.

- Land a triggerman winger for Geno's line and play him on L2. Don't think this one will work either, but it's probably the option that fits best if the team cannot/will not offload his contract.

- Package him with something to get out of his contract or take back an equally rough player who is on an expiring deal. There are teams out there who hover around the cap floor. Find one who will take him if the asking price isn't too high.

- Buy him out. Not good, but not the end of the world.

His skating is below average or bad. His shot is awful. His passing ability is the one thing he has, and it's not anything special, let alone exceptional. He's smaller, he's not physical, he's not anything defensively. I still can't help but laugh at the way the TDL went down for this team; removing several guys who were bad fits or downright awful players, just to turn around and use all of the $5 million in savings on Mikael f***ing Granlund. It's honestly hilarious in a way. :laugh:

If I didn't think Hextall was a complete buffoon, I'd question whether the Granlund thing was a last second f*** you to the fanbase for chanting Fire Hextall and to FSG who was always gonna fire him after the season.

I mean his shot is probably fine but he never uses it.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean his shot is probably fine but he never uses it.
He's definitely a guy who will force a pass over even attempting a shot, but there's a reason behind it imo.

Fine in the sense that he's an NHL player? Sure, agree. Fine in the sense that he's got any power or accuracy to it, or he's a genuine threat to score with the puck on his stick? Ehhh. :laugh:

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
14th overall is almost never a star quality player and more times than not is still not an impact NHLer. 5 million in cap space to play with is more valuable than the difference between 14th overall and a couple later picks.. for example 5 million probably gets you somebody like Bunting right now who is significantly better than the average 14th overall pick.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
14th overall is almost never a star quality player and more times than not is still not an impact NHLer. 5 million in cap space to play with is more valuable than the difference between 14th overall and a couple later picks.. for example 5 million probably gets you somebody like Bunting right now who is significantly better than the average 14th overall pick.
agree to disagree with your premise. It's the only really good asset we have other than Jake that we might be willing to move. I prefer we hold on to it, unless someone really gives us an unbelievable offer. But to get rid of a salary dump, I feel sure KD will find another way.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's definitely a guy who will force a pass over even attempting a shot, but there's a reason behind it imo.

Fine in the sense that he's an NHL player? Sure, agree. Fine in the sense that he's got any power or accuracy to it, or he's a genuine threat to score with the puck on his stick? Ehhh. :laugh:
Granlund is pass first, second, third, and fourth. Fifth sometimes comes up and when it does that's when the shot happens.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Well, glad you're not the GM either. Just disagree with that whole way of thinking.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm glad you're not the GM either, because you're a mess.

Love ya buddy.
How the hell am I a mess? We have the 14th overall f****** pic. The highest pick we've had and probably close to 20 f****** years. In a very strong draft. You don't trade the pic unless somebody knocks your socks off. You don't do it to get rid of someone in a salary dump. That's poor Asset Management it's not going to happen, give up or piss off!

Reactions: Lustaf

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If we were actually trying to maximize Granlund, I'd be down with Granlund-Sid-Rakell.

But Sid may burn down the building if we took Guentzel away from him.

Either way Granlund is trash but at least put him with our best finishers.
It kinda sucks he’s so bad on faceoffs because he’d seem to fit with Geno, taking D responsibilities at least some of the time. That’s also a lot of “perimeter” on one line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad