Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm not expecting more than like 70 points from Malkin next year unless PP1 really get their shit together.
1 year older during the level drop-off years, very likely 2LW production regression, very unlikely to be that healthy again.

If we don't think PP1 is capable of getting their shit together, we shouldn't even try.

I despise PP1 but there's a chance it can be top 10 in the league again, which will help us get back into the playoffs next year.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not expecting more than like 70 points from Malkin next year unless PP1 really get their shit together.
1 year older during the level drop-off years, very likely 2LW production regression, very unlikely to be that healthy again.
I don't see how PP1 gets it shit together. They've been doing the same dumb shit for years.

Maybe if they can go on a heater and get confidence early. Or if Dubas nabs another good PP player to actually QB it

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. I don't see why Bunting would cost any more than Rakell because you can apply all of that to Rakell from last year as well.

$5 million a year is the going rate for 50 point 2nd line scorers, and that's basically what all of Bunting, Rakell and Zucker are.

Rakell was 29 and his last 60 point season was in 17-18. I can't find a way to show me the UFA class from last year as it was when he signed, but I'm guessing he wasn't top 10. His production was below ERod, who took forever to be signed to a one year prove me.

Bunting shouldn't cost more than 5m, but I think you're going to see some inflation and you'll see players on his level get more than 5m. Whether he chooses to be one of them, who knows.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rakell was 29 and his last 60 point season was in 17-18. I can't find a way to show me the UFA class from last year as it was when he signed, but I'm guessing he wasn't top 10. His production was below ERod, who took forever to be signed to a one year prove me.

Bunting shouldn't cost more than 5m, but I think you're going to see some inflation and you'll see players on his level get more than 5m. Whether he chooses to be one of them, who knows.
Fair but with so few FA options, you may have to pay a tad more to "get your guy".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Eh Schwartz got a 5 year, $5.5 million AAV deal from Seattle in the 2021 off-season and he had 57 points in 71 games in the COVID shortened season in 2019-2020. I think like $5.5 million a year is about the max at what he's looking at.

Not only that, but there are legitimate questions to ask about how much Bunting will produce while not playing with Matthews. With the Penguins, it's not a problem because they can play him with Crosby or Malkin instead. But would a team like Minnesota think he'd be able to replicate his production there?

I think 5x5 is pretty close to what Bunting will end up getting in free agency. I can't see any way he hits $6 million a year or more.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm one, I did Necas+1st for Jake+2024 2nd.

Signed Bertuzzi and Bunting.

Bertuzzi-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Engvall-Necas-Athansiou

Then sent the 1st out for Swayman. The idea behind Necas was that he will be the next 2C for us. And possibly future 1C after Sid and Geno retire. I figured with that in place, there would be a lot of interesting line combinations you could make.

Rakell-Crosby-Malkin
Bunting-Necas-Bertuzzi (what a nasty line to play against)
Can't imagine Necas having less value than Guentzel. Younger, better offensive skilll and will be cheaper.

Don't think Carolina would even touch the deal with us giving up the 1st. I'd be happy for such a fleecing though.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Can't imagine Necas having less value than Guentzel. Younger, better offensive skilll and will be cheaper.

Don't think Carolina would even touch the deal with us giving up the 1st. I'd be happy for such a fleecing though.
I don't think Necas is better than Jake at all but may be better value.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jason Zucker is a top 10 for points scored in this UFA class and out of the guys in front of him, only 3 are younger. He's also a known full energy player who's popular in the locker room.

In other words, I don't think he's going to have to chose between 4+ years and substantially more than 4m. I think it's more likely you're going to look at his new contract and say "what the hell is wrong with GMs".
If that's the case, then I hope Dubas lets him walk.

I don't feel comfortable paying Zucker "market value" at his age and injury history. Let some other team deal with signing a guy to $6+ million per year and get 55 (fully healthy) games per season out of him over the next half a decade.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Players the Pens should target, UFA and RFA, and many of them are from NJD: Miles Wood, Sharangovich, Meier or Bratt if they can’t come to terms, McLeod in NJ or EDM, Ross Colton, Dorofeyev, Barbashev, Bertuzzi, Frederic, Engvall, Mayfield, Evan Bouchard (lol), Dellandrea, Vilardi, take a flyer on Gurianov

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't see how PP1 gets it shit together. They've been doing the same dumb shit for years.

Maybe if they can go on a heater and get confidence early. Or if Dubas nabs another good PP player to actually QB it
As sloppy as guys like Sid and Geno have been on the PP (more so Sid this past season), I think the biggest issue with our PP is Letang as the QB. He shoots when he should pass, he passes when he should shoot, he can't put the puck into Geno's wheelhouse, and he reacts to plays more than he sees plays developing.

He's a guy whose athleticism allowed him to be passable in his prime, but as his physical tools diminish he doesn't think the game well enough to be a competent PP QB.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Players the Pens should target, UFA and RFA, and many of them are from NJD: Miles Wood, Sharangovich, Meier or Bratt if they can’t come to terms, McLeod in NJ or EDM, Ross Colton, Dorofeyev, Barbashev, Bertuzzi, Frederic, Engvall, Mayfield, Evan Bouchard (lol), Dellandrea, Vilardi, take a flyer on Gurianov
All good names. Sounds like Sullivan wants speed. I imagine Sid and Dubas agree.

I think Montreal likes Gurianov but he'd be a great snag.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
What about max domi to play top six wing, ideally with Sid?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For shits and giggles. Would you do Granlund and POJ to Anaheim for Gibson?

That's potentially daylight robbery in a year. I mean, it could also go really awful, but the potential is really big there. I think I like it (note - that's without really watching Gibson for a long time).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's potentially daylight robbery in a year. I mean, it could also go really awful, but the potential is really big there. I think I like it.

It also has the potential to go really sideways. What if Gibson is just washed up but POJ or Granlund thrive in Anaheim?

If you look at Granlund more like a "reclamation project" type instead of a "cap dump" type, it's actually an interesting idea for both sides. Granlund can put up points for a bad Ducks team as they continue to rebuild. It's well known that the Ducks suck defensively, but they're also terrible offensively and finished 31st in the NHL in goals for last year.

I think you have to do it if you're the Penguins because you're not giving up anything you seriously need and you're getting a guy who could potentially solve your goaltending woes for the rest of the Crosby era. At the same time, if Gibson is washed you're making a bad situation worse. You're digging downwards by trading Granlund out for Gibson in if Gibson is just bad at this point.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
For shits and giggles. Would you do Granlund and POJ to Anaheim for Gibson?
No. I expect Jarry to be better than Gibson next year, possibly by a lot.
Our 3rd pairing would get worse to boot.

Gibson's too big of a dice roll for me, at a position that holds too much power over results. If there was a sign the last 4 years that he's improving, then maybe. But he's been crap, even relative to his situation.

All the money that we'd be saving on Granlund would be funneled towards someone that likely hurts us more than him.

Just go with Varlamov or an actual good goalie in trade.

Reactions: Dominance

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly the more I think about it, the more I think Granlund's reputation as a cap dump is probably overstated. He had a 51 point pace with Nashville last year (36 points in 58 games) and had 64 points in 80 games in 2021-2022. He's not sexy analytically and he failed miserably in the usage that Sullivan put him in with the Penguins, but there are quite a few either worse forwards or worse contracts for players who make a similar amount of money. Just a few examples I can see are Coleman, Labanc, Bailey, Ryan Strome, Olofsson, Mantha and Silfverberg. Brendan Gallagher is like a crown jewel of shit on this list as well.

The Penguins still obviously need to get out of his deal, but I don't know that I necessarily agree with the ultra negative reputation he has developed since the trade. He was a stupid target by the Penguins and they played him in a role that he flat out didn't fit in, but the value he was providing in Nashville is positive value for some teams. Not enough positive value to trade anything of notable value for, but as a piece included to make the cap work in a bigger trade? I don't see why that would be a problem.

Reactions: FSL KINGS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad