Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Zucker played like shit here for years until his contract year. Let some other team regret signing him.

Yeah I know he was battling injuries while he was playing like shit. Don’t care.
I also think the intensity he played with in the regular season this year is just not sustainable. He was amped every night like it was the SCF.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
3 Devils UFAs I think could all fit in some way: Graves, Wood, and Tatar.

Engvall and Barbashev could help define the new 3rd line.

I have a feeling Bunting will get grossly overpaid. Honestly the dude is an assbag. Feels more like a Flyer type of player than a Pen. I'd prefer we go a different direction.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bunting got a lot of his production the PP this year. He’s also somewhat of a liability.

I like him, but I’d be more targeting 3.75 - 4.5 if he is getting a long term deal like Rakell got.

Bunting produced basically at the same exact rate that what Zucker did at 5v5 and on the powerplay. Both had 39 ES points while Bunting had 1 more powerplay point than Zucker.

I also don't know how exactly he's much of a "liability". He was one of Toronto's top forwards analytically.

I'm a little leery of Bunting. Played a lot of his minutes with Toronto's star players. He played fine in those minutes from what I can tell, but I'm somewhat worried that he's a product of those guys.

You'd better be damned sure he can continue that here if you hand him a contract.

I mean is Evgeni Malkin not a star player anymore?

Bunting is only signing the Rakell deal if he really likes the GM, or the GM has incriminating photos. He too is a top 10 point producer in this UFA class, and he has a recent 60 point season and is only 27 to boot.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. I don't see why Bunting would cost any more than Rakell because you can apply all of that to Rakell from last year as well.

$5 million a year is the going rate for 50 point 2nd line scorers, and that's basically what all of Bunting, Rakell and Zucker are.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Zucker would be a great third liner, but I don't know how you justify his price point in that role with the holes in this roster. Geno needs a winger who can bring some scoring potential, imo. I don't know that Barbashev, Bunting, Zucker, or Garland are good enough in that regard.

The entire 3rd line needs to be remade from the ground up to be used as the minute eating, cycle/shutdown line Sully wants. They need to perma-scratch Carter, they gotta dump Granlund or buy him out if all options are explored and the price to get someone to take him is too high. Then there's the issue of whether or not Rust continues to play at like a 45pt player who is also terrible away from the puck.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’d prefer Barbashev and Engvall over Bunting just because of our lack of finishing but we should be after any of those three…and RFAs like Meier if he doesn’t sign w NJD
Realistically, I think we have room for two. I'd say, Barbs yes but not Engvall (in terms of Bunting or). That said, any or all three would be great additions to the roster.

Barbs or Bunting to replace Zucker. Engvall on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What’s Engvall’s projected salary on the open market? Maybe like 4x3.5?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I think Zucker would be a great third liner, but I don't know how you justify his price point in that role with the holes in this roster. Geno needs a winger who can bring some scoring potential, imo. I don't know that Barbashev, Bunting, Zucker, or Garland are good enough in that regard.

The entire 3rd line needs to be remade from the ground up to be used as the minute eating, cycle/shutdown line Sully wants. They need to perma-scratch Carter, they gotta dump Granlund or buy him out if all options are explored and the price to get someone to take him is too high. Then there's the issue of whether or not Rust continues to play at like a 45pt player who is also terrible away from the puck.

Malkin needs Drew O’Connor who actually doesn’t suck, or something, but is being held back by a vindictive villain coach straight out of a degrassi episode.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Dubas needs to reach out to Putin, end the war with Ukraine, and form HFPens all time dream line of:

Kulemin-Malkin-Granlund

To quote @Empoleon8771 ”that forward group looks really solid”.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

I like Tatar as new Geno winger over all of those mentioned names. Tatar-Geno-Rakell would be dirty.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He may not get the spot here, right. It's Mike Sullivan.
What these wingers do in other situations should be our primary focus.

But if Jake's gone next year then maybe that door opens up.
I was thinking through what a Jake extension might look like and I wondered if if might curtail what Dubas spends in FA this year. It's a tough thing to judge. I'd be great if Jake took a $7mil x 6yr deal. It would be fair but we all know he could get more elsewhere. So it makes you wonder if sending him out for a couple things in return would be worth it.

Something like Jake, POJ for Hanifin, Dube, 3rd; then Hanifin+pick for Nylander. Just some things I was spitballing.

Others I thought about:
Toews+Newhook for Jake+POJ
Pesce+Jarvis for Jake+POJ
I even toyed with the idea of Martin Necas + 1st for Jake and then made a series of FA signings.

These were just thought experiments on if Jake's extension becomes a hindrance to filling out the roster.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Here are some buy low targets I'd be into from cap strapped teams.

VGK - Riley Smith
CGY - Kylington, Dube
DAL - Faksa
LAK - Iafallo, Arvidsson
FLA - Duclair
WPG - Appleton
SJS - Lebanc
BOS - Gryz, Clifton, Coyle
Yeah realistically we're going to need to bring in some bottom-6 guys by trade. The more under the radar the better. Especially if we're going to give Granlund the boot, we can't replace all those spots in UFA.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I was thinking through what a Jake extension might look like and I wondered if if might curtail what Dubas spends in FA this year. It's a tough thing to judge. I'd be great if Jake took a $7mil x 6yr deal. It would be fair but we all know he could get more elsewhere. So it makes you wonder if sending him out for a couple things in return would be worth it.

Something like Jake, POJ for Hanifin, Dube, 3rd; then Hanifin+pick for Nylander. Just some things I was spitballing.

Others I thought about:
I even toyed with the idea of Martin Necas + 1st for Jake and then made a series of FA signings.

These were just thought experiments on if Jake's extension becomes a hindrance to filling out the roster.
Yes, it’s worth it…we can’t give a 30 year old Jake his next contract…hopefully we can find a trade that’s a win for the team

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes, it’s worth it…we can’t give a 30 year old Jake his next contract…hopefully we can find a trade that’s a win for the team
I'm one, I did Necas+1st for Jake+2024 2nd.

Signed Bertuzzi and Bunting.

Bertuzzi-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Engvall-Necas-Athansiou

Then sent the 1st out for Swayman. The idea behind Necas was that he will be the next 2C for us. And possibly future 1C after Sid and Geno retire. I figured with that in place, there would be a lot of interesting line combinations you could make.

Rakell-Crosby-Malkin
Bunting-Necas-Bertuzzi (what a nasty line to play against)

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1685738767785.png

1685738818463.png

Best roster I think I've come up with.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Others I thought about:

Based on Dubas' presser and how he won't wanna piss Sid off while brand new on the job, I'm resigned to Jake lasting the year here, and probably getting re-signed. Sullivan will press for that too.

Some of those trades you mentioned have merit though, for sure.
I'd take the Colorado and Carolina (Pesce) ones. Doubt they would though.
They got no motive. Their formula works.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think it is a fine 4th line to start the season out with and you can add in pieces as the year progresses as is the norm.
You are instantly a better team by not signing Smith and running Nylander there. Or Puustinen. Or even resigning Heinen or Archibald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad