Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Building a competitive bottom six and replacing or resigning zucker.

they have 20 mil now, 23-25 if they buy out or trade granlund, that jumps to 30-32 if they trade petry.
But they would need 2 defenders,at least one goalie, a top six winger and basically the entire bottom six needs replaced.

there are some aggressive but skilled guys in ufa this year I’d love to add along with O’Conner and poehling coming back.

figure no more than 5 on a goalie, 3.5 at most on graves gives you around 22-23 left to spend nylander, puus, O’Conner and, poehling equal maybe 4.5 together your down to 17ish mil. that Is the rest of your forward group unless you are bargain hunting.

some sub 30 guys I’d target with that 17ish mil for example.

woods 27 yrs old
Blunting 27 yrs old
domi 28 yrs old
sundqvist 29 yrs old

blunting Sid Rackell
jake Geno rust
O’Conner domi nylander/puus
woods sundqvist poehling
carter (because eff him and we are stuck with him unless he gets robidas islanded)

its younger, it’s faster, it’s more physical, and more aggressive, while still having skill in the bottom 6.

I think spending a little of that forward money will pay bigger dividends. I mean, spend that money on Sundqvist to play 10 minutes a night, or on upgrading guys who pay 20 a night?

I'm not against trading Petry. But I am against Rutta as a top 4 d here with everyone fit and Letang being by far and away our best dman.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would be open to trading Petry but the reasons are pretty much entirely based around how immovable everyone else is. If this team needs to clear out more cap space after getting rid of Granlund, the only options are Pettersson, Guentzel and Petry. Of those 3, I'd much prefer to trade Petry.

I absolutely do not want to trade him for the sake of trading him. He's a very solid #2/3 defenseman and the Penguins have no one who can even remotely step into his role.

Reactions: Dominance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ullmark fits but none of the rest of those guys fits. Ullmark would be the dream but I seriously doubt Boston would ever consider trading him here.

I don't want to go dumpster diving for a reclamation project or try out a scratch off lottery ticket that may end up giving you great value. I want a solid and reliable starter. I don't want to spend the assets or money on an elite goalie, I just want someone solid and reliable.

So you don’t want a goaltender..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would be open to trading Petry but the reasons are pretty much entirely based around how immovable everyone else is. If this team needs to clear out more cap space after getting rid of Granlund, the only options are Pettersson, Guentzel and Petry. Of those 3, I'd much prefer to trade Petry.

I absolutely do not want to trade him for the sake of trading him. He's a very solid #2/3 defenseman and the Penguins have no one who can even remotely step into his role.

The thing about Petry is that at his age and on his contract, it'd be best to be a year early moving him than a year late. I am open to moving him cheaply for that reason alone, even if he would be difficult to replace.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know that anybody's gonna give a shit about Petry if you dangled him in trade talks. :laugh: Probably not exactly a hot commodity, those 36 year old middle pairing blueliners making north of $6 million with term.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The thing about Petry is that at his age and on his contract, it'd be best to be a year early moving him than a year late. I am open to moving him cheaply for that reason alone, even if he would be difficult to replace.

I don’t agree. Nothing in Petry’s game makes me think he is going to fall off and his performance last year pretty much shows that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t agree. Nothing in Petry’s game makes me think he is going to fall off and his performance last year pretty much shows that.

But isn't the whole point of better a year early than a year late? That you've got to do it while people can still see some tread on the tires or you're going to get ripped off?

Tbh I thought his contract went on longer than it did. At another two years, I think he's probably safe. Should be good next year, should be easy enough to move the year after that if you have to.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't see this risk with Petry over the term he has left on his deal. If he had more than 2 years left, I think it would be a more serious discussion. Petry has already regressed a bit from where he was at 4 years ago with the Habs, but he's still a really effective player.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Petry I would move for sure, try to get younger as well. I think it just gets rougher for him here on out

Oh boy, can't wait to see the next Sam Poulin that Dubas drafts with that.
I'll take that chance, it's not like we have had much success with UFA players anyway. Now all of a sudden were going to throw 7 million at Bunting

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Petry I would move for sure, try to get younger as well. I think it just gets rougher for him here on out

I'll take that chance, it's not like we have had much success with UFA players anyway. Now all of a sudden were going to throw 7 million at Bunting

122312_gonchar.gif

74808406.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
14OA in a lit draft has a good chance of getting a very good player. I am as ever loath to give that up unless it's part of a package to get a potentially difference making player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
14OA in a lit draft has a good chance of getting a very good player. I am as ever loath to give that up unless it's part of a package to get a potentially difference making player.

I think this is minimizing the risk that drafted prospects come with. I don't think any prospect coming out of juniors has a "good chance of being a very good player" unless they're in the top-5 in their draft.

If the Penguins had a super high pick, I'd have a different opinion here. But the 14th overall picks from 2010-2019 were Schwartz, Oleksiak, Girgensons, Wennberg, Honka, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Foote, Farabee and York. There are some good names there, yeah, but it's not a super inspiring list. It's a good chance that whoever they pick at 14 will make the NHL to some capacity, but saying they have a good chance at being very good seems a bit much to me.

Look at how guys like Newhook panned out. He was hyped up as perhaps one of the best prospects in all of hockey before turning pro, but he's been pretty meh in the pros. Lafreniere is another great example of that.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
But isn't the whole point of better a year early than a year late? That you've got to do it while people can still see some tread on the tires or you're going to get ripped off?

Tbh I thought his contract went on longer than it did. At another two years, I think he's probably safe. Should be good next year, should be easy enough to move the year after that if you have to.

I just don’t see a massive drop off coming. Especially if you balance our left side out with young proven top four D and not Brian Dumoulin and POJ.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just think the situation with Granlund is that the Penguins really need to get out of his deal entirely but they don't have any notable assets to do that beyond pick #14 and Pickering. With Poulin firmly reaching bust territory and Hallander taking his ball home, they have basically no one in their prospect pool. Their 2nd best prospect would be like 8th in a good team's prospect pool, if even that.

I don't think you can convince anyone to take on Granlund's deal with using a 2024 2nd, Broz or Blomqvist as the main chip.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I just think the situation with Granlund is that the Penguins really need to get out of his deal entirely but they don't have any notable assets to do that beyond pick #14 and Pickering. With Poulin firmly reaching bust territory and Hallander taking his ball home, they have basically no one in their prospect pool. Their 2nd best prospect would be like 8th in a good team's prospect pool, if even that.

I don't think you can convince anyone to take on Granlund's deal with using a 2024 2nd, Broz or Blomqvist as the main chip.

That’s why you buy it out.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m quite certain we do not need to buy out, eat salary or add assets to Granlund to trade him. He’s a top-6 player on a lot of teams, maybe most of them.

Reactions: Pens1566

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think this is minimizing the risk that drafted prospects come with. I don't think any prospect coming out of juniors has a "good chance of being a very good player" unless they're in the top-5 in their draft.

If the Penguins had a super high pick, I'd have a different opinion here. But the 14th overall picks from 2010-2019 were Schwartz, Oleksiak, Girgensons, Wennberg, Honka, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Foote, Farabee and York. There are some good names there, yeah, but it's not a super inspiring list. It's a good chance that whoever they pick at 14 will make the NHL to some capacity, but saying they have a good chance at being very good seems a bit much to me.

Look at how guys like Newhook panned out. He was hyped up as perhaps one of the best prospects in all of hockey before turning pro, but he's been pretty meh in the pros. Lafreniere is another great example of that.

I'm not intending to minimise the risk, although if the prospect guys are right, we're talking guys who'd go top 10 most years.

I'm simply swing big or go home with that pick. Either trade it in a big swing, or swing at the player and hope you get McAvoy. I'm not interested in using it to nibble around the edges.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

I hear everything you're saying. But...

Dubas has a pretty solid track record in the draft. A high number of his picks as Leafs GM have already made it to the NHL, including later round picks. Rasmus Sandin was 29th overall. Sean Durzi was a second round pick who was used to acquire Jake Muzzin and has played two seasons with the Kings. Matthew Knies was 57th overall.

That increases the curiosity on what he might be able to do with the 14th pick.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How much is Granlund even overpaid for our purposes as a middle-6 forward? By 1.5 million? Not even worth buying out.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I’m quite certain we do not need to buy out, eat salary or add assets to Granlund to trade him. He’s a top-6 player on a lot of teams, maybe most of them.
I'm thinking a 2024 2nd + 4th, or something along those lines would be enough. Maybe just the 2nd if we're lucky.

Supposedly the Canucks are struggling to off-load Garland, which is a great comparable with identical cap hit and being a natural winger. Except in his case, he's a younger, much faster, much better player than MG and could easily be worth his cap hit next year.
It's hard to imagine no sweeteners at all are required for MG, especially with the 2nd year he's got. I would give great praise to Dubas for swinging that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad