Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Because we could potentially get either for nothing and Helle likely costs a 1st and more.
Neither Gibson nor Markstrom will be free. Less expensive, sure but you're also getting a less capable goalie
That Granlund trade is awful Empo.

Why would you drop that far for a player you can buy out?
Because the buyout affects us for longer than just this year.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Swayman is the main guy I want to bring in to replace Jarry this off-season. Boston is super vulnerable to an offersheet due to their cap situation and I'd pounce on that chance to get Swayman for a reasonable price.

I think you could reasonably do something like this:

-Granlund and pick #14 to Chicago for picks #35 and #67
-Picks #35 and #67 to Boston for Swayman's RFA rights

When is the last offer sheet that happened in the NHL?

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
move petry, there would be some interest. detroit was rumored to be interested before he was moved here. I’ll take back a pick or a prospect for him. Just open the cap space

let dumo walk

call up smith full time, make friedman the del-facto number 7.

sign Ryan graves

letang petts
graves poj
smith rutta
friedman

give the kids the begining of the season to paired with vets, see what you have in them, outside of maybe ghost, severson, or orlov there isn’t much that jumps out on the ufa list and those three will get over paid. Graves I think is just undee]r the radar enough he would get market value and look good with poj.

Reactions: Dominance

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Buying out Granlund sucks, imo, but I don't think you need to spend the 14th overall to rid yourself of him. Some team out there will be trying to hover around the cap floor.

Thanks again, Hextall.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
move petry, there would be some interest. detroit was rumored to be interested before he was moved here. I’ll take back a pick or a prospect for him. Just open the cap space

let dumo walk

call up smith full time, make friedman the del-facto number 7.

sign Ryan graves

letang petts
graves poj
smith rutta
friedman

give the kids the begining of the season to paired with vets, see what you have in them, outside of maybe ghost, severson, or orlov there isn’t much that jumps out on the ufa list and those three will get over paid. Graves I think is just undee]r the radar enough he would get market value and look good with poj.

What are you opening up cap space for tho?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Buying out Granlund sucks, imo, but I don't think you need to spend the 14th overall to rid yourself of him. Some team out there will be trying to hover around the cap floor.

Thanks again, Hextall.

The issue is the Penguins don't have any trade chips they can use to entice teams to take on Granlund. They don't have a pick between #14 and #90.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The issue is the Penguins don't have any trade chips they can use to entice teams to take on Granlund. They don't have a pick between #14 and #90.
Give somebody POJ. I'm not sold he's anything special. He had his ups, but he definitely had his downs too, real bad ones.

I don't know. I think spending the best pick this team's had since they took Pouliot (lol) to rid the team of Granlund is stupid. Gun to my head, I'd buy the guy out before throwing the 14th. These next two years don't matter, and the ones after that sure as shit don't.

The cap space doesn't matter because, like you said, this team doesn't have the trade chips to land a premiere player and nobody in FA is worth getting into a bidding war over or chasing. /shrug

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
*Looks at Florida and Sergei Bobrovsky*

Ok, sure bud.

I don't think Bobrovsky hulking out after his previous 9 visits to the NHL playoffs included only one run above .920 is an argument for spending a ton of money on a quality goaltender. To me, it looks like a lot more like an argument for goaltending being voodoo and it usually being better to spend money on insulating them.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I brought up the idea of Bob a few months ago because Florida was 1.meh 2.out of the playoffs. and 3. have prospects in their system but nO oNe WaNtz tO pAy FoR a GoAlIe

I’d rather focus our assets on making the best possible team then having the best possible goaltender personally given how the playoffs typically go.

Love ya Gurgs but booooooooooooo

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't think Bobrovsky hulking out after his previous 9 visits to the NHL playoffs included only one run above .920 is an argument for spending a ton of money on a quality goaltender. To me, it looks like a lot more like an argument for goaltending being voodoo and it usually being better to spend money on insulating them.

It definitely is. I Always believed in paying for a quality G. Not pinning my hopes on a Howdy Doody looking ventriloquist puppet like InJarry

Last edited:

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
What are you opening up cap space for tho?
Building a competitive bottom six and replacing or resigning zucker.

they have 20 mil now, 23-25 if they buy out or trade granlund, that jumps to 30-32 if they trade petry.
But they would need 2 defenders,at least one goalie, a top six winger and basically the entire bottom six needs replaced.

there are some aggressive but skilled guys in ufa this year I’d love to add along with O’Conner and poehling coming back.

figure no more than 5 on a goalie, 3.5 at most on graves gives you around 22-23 left to spend nylander, puus, O’Conner and, poehling equal maybe 4.5 together your down to 17ish mil. that Is the rest of your forward group unless you are bargain hunting.

some sub 30 guys I’d target with that 17ish mil for example.

woods 27 yrs old
Blunting 27 yrs old
domi 28 yrs old
sundqvist 29 yrs old

blunting Sid Rackell
jake Geno rust
O’Conner domi nylander/puus
woods sundqvist poehling
carter (because eff him and we are stuck with him unless he gets robidas islanded)

its younger, it’s faster, it’s more physical, and more aggressive, while still having skill in the bottom 6.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
figure no more than 5 on a goalie, 3.5 at most on graves gives you around 22-23 left to spend nylander, puus, O’Conner and, poehling equal maybe 4.5 together your down to 17ish mil. that Is the rest of your forward group unless you are bargain hunting.

No, you go out and try to get either Ullmark, Gibson or Hellybuck because they the next quality Goalies to get hot in the playoffs. They are all due like Bob was this year

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
*Looks at Florida and Sergei Bobrovsky*

Ok, sure bud.

As @Peat said. Bob is a perfect example of why I’d target Markstrom and Gibson over Helle.

Building a competitive bottom six and replacing or resigning zucker.

they have 20 mil now, 23-25 if they buy out or trade granlund, that jumps to 30-32 if they trade petry.
But they would need 2 defenders,at least one goalie, a top six winger and basically the entire bottom six needs replaced.

there are some aggressive but skilled guys in ufa this year I’d love to add along with O’Conner and poehling coming back.

some sub 30 guys I’d target with that 17ish mil for example.

woods 27 yrs old
Blunting 27 yrs old
domi 28 yrs old
sundqvist 29 yrs old

blunting Sid Rackell
jake Geno rust
O’Conner domi nylander/puus
woods sundqvist poehling
carter (because eff him and we are stuck with him unless he gets robidas islanded)

its younger, it’s faster, it’s more physical, and more aggressive, while still having skill in the bottom 6.

So you think the way to improving this team is spending a ton on bottom six players and letting Letang, Rutta and Ruhwedel be our RH depth?

Hope the Pens re sign DOC and Poehling. What's everyone's thoughts on those two?

Yes. And sign them as cheap as possible and don’t give a shit about term.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Gibson's a big question mark and isn't gonna be given away by the Ducks imo. Hellebuyck is gonna cost the sun and moon in terms of assets and is probably gonna demand like $8+ million AAV for his retirement deal. I don't dislike Ullmark, but I think people need to temper their expectations with the guy coming to this team and their defensive play. :laugh: Also not stoked about Ullmark's season being upended by a debilitating injury that f***ed over his ability to play. Hits a little too close to home.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hope the Pens re sign DOC and Poehling. What's everyone's thoughts on those two?

Super meh on Poehling and like O'Connor as their 4th line LW.

I think I'd rather have Poehling as an extra forward rather than a regular. He barely cracked a 20 point pace last year, doesn't really play a fast style and doesn't really offer anything notable. He's kinda just there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad