Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
If they'd pick up Fredic and Comtois in free agency I'd livestream myself waving my penis at in coming traffic wearing only a beer hat crushing juice force IPAs.
Comtois might still have wrist issues last I heard which is part of the reason they're considering not qualifying him.
Maybe he to was livestreaming? A lot!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Are we sure Dubas is not just Sleepy in a nerd costume? Get to work :sarcasm:
Screenshot_20230602-165402.png

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Just playing around on cap friendly there are a lot of potential opportunities to remake the roster a bit. Should be a fun summer.
It is hopefully interesting. I tried going on the yesterday to do a full roster using the armchair GM. Used to do that all the time on here. But I just ended up getting a bit overwhelmed by all the bottom 6 options.

There is very little in the form of top 6 talent but damn… in terms of bottom six this is one of the largest crops of UFA’s I’ve seen in a long time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Howden’s a good example of the type of acquisition we need. Instead of paying fair market value for established players and known commodities. Vegas got him for a 4th because he looked like a bust with the Rangers, and he probably is, but he’s also a nice, cheap, bottom 6 role player with youthful naivety and something to prove and play for. Poehling is in the same boat probably. Just a throw-in from a team that didn’t see him reaching his potential, and he probably won’t.

More Poehlings and less McGinns.

Those are a shot in the dark, and teams with depth can afford to take chances. This team needs better depth than adding a ton of projects.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Because paying out the butt in UFA for McGinn and Tanev worked so well.

I didn't do that, or did I like it, either. They were overpaid for their use here.

Edit: Also, I would have exposed Blueger and protected, McCann. I would never have given Blueger over 2.0 with such small sample sizes going off of shorten season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sign better players, this is/was not a team built upon drafting after the core. For the most part they bought their cups and they will indeed need to buy this next one. If they really want to get one.
I guess it depends who you apply the "core" tag to as to whether or not your statement is accurate.

Cuz outside of Sid, Geno, Tang, Maf, you had Murray, Guentzel, Rust, Dumo, Maatta, Kuhnhackl, Wilson all contributing to those cup wins and all came through the draft.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess it depends who you apply the "core" tag to as to whether or not your statement is accurate.

Cuz outside of Sid, Geno, Tang, Maf, you had Murray, Guentzel, Rust, Dumo, Maatta, Kuhnhackl, Wilson all contributing to those cup wins and all came through the draft.

Dumo was trade. But yeah. Those teams were substantially draft built.

Reactions: Pancakes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dumo was trade. But yeah. Those teams were substantially draft built.

Draft built in what way..

Sheary - Sid - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Hags - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhn - Cullen - Fehr

Dumo - Letang
Lovejoy - Daley
Maatta - Cole

Murray
Fleury

4 players were "drafted" and played a regular role after our 2009 group in 15-16

Guentzel - Sid - Rust
Wilson - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - Bonino - Hornqvist
Rowney - Cullen - Kuhn

Dumo - Hainsey
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz

Murray
Fleury

6 in this group from 16-17.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Draft built in what way..

Sheary - Sid - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Hags - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhn - Cullen - Fehr

Dumo - Letang
Lovejoy - Daley
Maatta - Cole

Murray
Fleury

4 players were "drafted" and played a regular role after our 2009 group in 15-16

Guentzel - Sid - Rust
Wilson - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - Bonino - Hornqvist
Rowney - Cullen - Kuhn

Dumo - Hainsey
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz

Murray
Fleury

6 in this group from 16-17.

Not a huge quantity of players but some of those that were drafted played significant roles - Jake, Rust, and Murray in particular, but to a lesser degree Maatta as well.

Kuhnhackl and Wilson didn't do a ton in those cup runs but they did contribute and played playoff games and scored playoff goals.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not a huge quantity of players but some of those that were drafted played significant roles - Jake, Rust, and Murray in particular, but to a lesser degree Maatta as well.

Kuhnhackl and Wilson didn't do a ton in those cup runs but they did contribute and played playoff games and scored playoff goals.
Maatta falling off so hard feels like a pretty massive setback in the long run.

I know that so much of it was beyond his control, but if he could have continued on his original trajectory...

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Jake wasn’t part of one of those cup wins. Obviously big part of 2017, but I’d dial back how crucial it is to have massive amounts of draft picks. It can be players like Cole, Dumo, and Sheary that weren’t drafted but developed here.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The entry sucks because everyone has average or below speed so we don't have a dump/chase option.

I think it's a lot easier said than done to overhaul what Sid, Geno and Letang are comfortable with on the powerplay. And let's not forget that the players have the power in this dynamic.

It doesn’t have to be overhauled, just focused. What are your three best set plays? Ok, so we gain the zone in these ways, we try to set up play one and get a shot on. If that’s not working go to 2. Then go to 3. Do it in that order. And then practice those religiously instead of just improvising completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad